MBA to MD at 35?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MBAconsultant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster...

I turned 35 a few months ago and I am at a crossroad. After many successful years in the business world, I realize I am not really suited for it and looking for other options. Since I was a teenager, and for very deep personal reasons, I have always entertained the thought of becoming a psychiatrist. At this point I am NOT yet convinced this is the right step, since it's a huge change and needs proper consideration. However, I do want to know if this is even within the realm of possibility.

1) Should someone with my profile consider medical school, specifically to do psychiatry? If so, what next step(s) would you recommend without having to leave my current job outright (which, incidentally, is more than I probably would ever make as a psychiatrist) to confirm/deny my interest?

2) I would need to complete a postbac. At this point in life, I feel that it would be too risky to start at a postbac that doesn't give me a >90% chance of being admitted to medical school. Would Goucher/Bryn Mawr/Scripps/Similar consider someone like me at that age? I'd be entering in Fall 2017 (this year's application cycle is closed), I suppose, giving me time to do shadowing, volunteering, etc. and decide this is what I want (or not).

Some stats:
*Dual degree from a top-5 undergrad: 3.77 GPA
*MBA from top 3 program (think Harvard, Stanford...): 3.8 GPA, full ride.
*9 years of experience a management consultant, most of which at a top 3 firm
GRE/GMAT scores: both in 99th percentile (but old)
Very limited medical experience or related; some exposure to healthcare and pharma consulting

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I should add that I have several hundred thousand dollars stashed away / invested and a couple thousand in passive income from rental RE; thus the financial burden may not be as bad as others here. I don't think it's incredibly relevant, but one never knows.

First off, you'll need to shadow a (few) physicians including psychiatrist(s) to make sure you want to embark down this path. Your UG GPA is strong so that shouldn't preclude you from getting into med schools assuming you perform similarly in your postbacc

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Shadowing and volunteering is a good start, and it's also a good idea to explore alternative options that could leverage the experience that you have. If you want to be a psychiatrist, will you be miserable during clerkship where for every other rotation, it will be something hands-on? What about overnight shifts in the ER? You've also been incredibly successful in your existing career - will you be able to accept that in med school, absolutely no one will care and if anything, they'll probably assume you're less competent for being older? (Or nothing, but definitely no credit.)

Personally in your shoes I don't think I could do it. I think you've got the right odds with saying you would want 90% chances of getting in before leaving your current job. Any way you can do the pre-reqs without dropping your job? If you have any pre-reqs, a lot of schools will take them since you'll also prove yourself on the MCAT.

Yes, I have a business background and am doing it. You MUST volunteer or work as a psych tech for a bit in a public hospital and see if possible psychiatry is really what you think. I've posted a bunch on this issue so look at some of my past posts.

You need to do some research and decide if DO is ok for you or if MD is a must. Depending on that answer will set your path.

The easier path is just take the required courses wherever.

Best of luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

MBA,

I started med school later in life from a diverse background mainly in small business and am now OMS III.

1) I would not leave your job until you have volunteer experience and perhaps 1-2 semesters down. This is a huge decision. Yes, you are a viable candidate and obviously an accomplished and hard working person, and your application will likely get interest. If you have not yet, consider going the DO route mainly for your age - they are much more friendly to those of us outside the box, increasing your odds of acceptance.

2)You do not necessarily have to do a formal post-bac. While they have their benefits, you can pave your own path by taking the required courses at your local university.

3) I strongly urge you to have some soul-searching before taking the plunge. Not taking pre-med courses or volunteering, but when it become a choice to go forward consider what you have (career, income, time). Those aspects were intact in my life at one time, but this path will erode your finances and take your time, and your career is now 4 years on hold once you start school, and 7-8 years before you get sanity and money back.

Best to you, feel free to PM me

Reactions: 1 users
This is possible - you have the credentials to be admitted to MD school if it is what you want.

First, you need to do your due diligence and learn more about what being a psychiatrist (and doctor in general) is like. The most efficient way to do this is through informational interviews with people in your network. Use your undergrad and MBA alumni associations to find alumni who are MD or MD/MBA and ask them for phone calls or buy them coffee/lunch and talk to them about their careers. The big 3 consulting firms also have consultants who are MDs, so that is another avenue.

Good luck!

It's doable, but volunteer with patients and shadow doctors. And do some non clinical ECs as well, to show off your humanism and altruism.

Some of my all time best students were in their 30s and 40s. I graduated one last year at 50.

I feel that it would be too risky to start at a postbac that doesn't give me a >90% chance of being admitted to medical school. Would Goucher/Bryn Mawr/Scripps/

If you look at these programs, there really isn't anything special about them that causes 90%+ of their participants to matriculate to medical school. Rather they only admit students that have an incredibly high likelihood of matriculating to medical school regardless of which program they attend because they have 1. a history of strong standardized test scores and 2. a history of high academic achievement. I don't think it you need to feel that it is absolutely necessary for you to attend one of these programs. You already have a history of high academic achievement and a track record of being successful. You do need to take classes and do well in them. Pick a place where you can be successful / do your best work, and you should be fine. Best of luck to you.

Last edited: