MBA vs MHA post residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docno1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finishing my General surgery residency and going into a fellowship. As much as it may sound crazy I want to pursue a MBA/MHA degree. Few questions
1. Obviously I cant take time off so is it possible to do a correspondence, advantages , disadvantages

2. My sole focus would be healthcare so is MHA better than MBA
3. Is it even feasible with the fellowship hours.
4. Any other suggestions welcome
Thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am finishing my General surgery residency and going into a fellowship. As much as it may sound crazy I want to pursue a MBA/MHA degree. Few questions
1. Obviously I cant take time off so is it possible to do a correspondence, advantages , disadvantages

2. My sole focus would be healthcare so is MHA better than MBA
3. Is it even feasible with the fellowship hours.
4. Any other suggestions welcome
Thank you all

MHA is better for healthcare administration. MBA has a lot of fluff that you really don't need.

But, neither are feasible in 2 yrs along with fellowship hours.

Probably won't work well with fellowship hours. MBA programs are usually more flexible, and there are many one year long working professional MBAs.. Unless you're planning to become a professional hospital administrator, I don't see a reason to choose MHA over MBA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably won't work well with fellowship hours. MBA programs are usually more flexible, and there are many one year long working professional MBAs.. Unless you're planning to become a professional hospital administrator, I don't see a reason to choose MHA over MBA.

An MBA worth anything more than just ink on a piece of paper would be two years full time. There are executive MBAs out there, but they're a hell of a lot longer than one year.

An MBA worth anything more than just ink on a piece of paper would be two years full time. There are executive MBAs out there, but they're a hell of a lot longer than one year.

There are some reputable 1 year physician exec MBA's out there. I hope to find the time to do this one in the next few years:

http://pemba.utk.edu/executive_level_mbas/physician_executive_mba.aspx

In my case, I am gradually taking on more managerial responsibilities at my current position, and want to improve my business knowledge (rather than use an MBA to help me find a new job/career)