USMLE MBBS 3rd year med student needs advice on study planning for step1/2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardie97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, in my country we don't have enough time to study for step1 untill we graduate, at the same time we prefer to take step2 before step1 right after graduation since our clinical knowledge is quite fresh, then we go back to basic sciences for step1. I need advice about does it affect (facilitates/complicates) my studying if i took step2 first or is it the other way around?
would be greatful for quick answers :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, in my country we don't have enough time to study for step1 untill we graduate, at the same time we prefer to take step2 before step1 right after graduation since our clinical knowledge is quite fresh, then we go back to basic sciences for step1. I need advice about does it affect (facilitates/complicates) my studying if i took step2 first or is it the other way around?
would be greatful for quick answers :)
I have exactly the same issue and was looking forward to some real advice and tips if taking step 2 ck before step 1 is okay or not?If yes then can anyone else shed some light on their experience of being in the same situation n tips on taking step 2 before step 1
Thanks

A step 2 w/o a step 1 score is worthless because you need step 1 to apply for residency but step 2 is not required (although it helps IMGs to have a step 2 score on their resume)

You are either in denial or unaware of the difficulty of the exam, the sooner you accept your inevitable suffering the better off you'll be. It takes a lot of students a year to study for the step 1, and being an IMG you are more likely to need a year or more because your curriculum would not have been focused around USMLE. I don't know a single IMG who spent less than a year studying for this exam.

You could find yourself in a very dark place if you finish step 2 w/o step 1.

Step 2 will be easier afterwards, and your score doesn't matter as much so it makes no sense having step 2 w/o a step 1.