MCAT 2014 vs. MCAT 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canelove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I just had one quick question about MCAT timing and what not. I am currently a Junior and I was planning on taking the MCAT during summer 2014, take a year off and apply during 2015 for the 2016 cycle. However, I have just recently realized that by that time schools will be accepting scores for the new MCAT. Does this mean that they will no longer take the 2014 MCAT and I should actually be taking the 2015 MCAT?

Your help will be much appreciated! I am freaking out a bit because if so, I probably need to re-evaluate my coming semesters! Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
They will still be accepting the current MCAT during that cycle without a doubt.

I highly doubt they wouldn't accept it. If that was the case then what's the point in administering the MCAT in 2014. But if you want to be 100% sure just call the school and ask.

How long are scores valid?

In general, most schools require that your MCAT scores not be more than 2-3 years old. However, this time frame varies from school to school. We recommend that you contact the school(s) receiving your scores to find out their policies.

Return to FAQ
Source: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/faq/313888/howlongarescoresvalid.html#.UryUTPRDsXw

I believe the same is true, regardless if the exam itself is changing. This was the case in 2004 when the exam undergone substantial changes, they still allowed people who took the previous exam to submit their old scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
The uncertainty is only in how the new scores (2015) will be compared to current exam scores in the eyes of the adcom

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you, everyone!

Yes, I was also wondering about how the scores would be compared. Is it thought that applicants with one MCAT will have an advantage over others?

I've been wondering the same thing because I plan to take the MCAT in 2014, but apply the year after. I really hope that the schools accept the old MCAT scores!

Thank you, everyone!

Yes, I was also wondering about how the scores would be compared. Is it thought that applicants with one MCAT will have an advantage over others?

I am really not sure. Assuming the scale remains the same (1-15) it might be easier to compare the two exams. Yes the new exam has more questions per section but it also gives you more time so not difference if the same scale is used. Psychology and sociology will have their own sections so those two can be out of the question when comparing. Not so sure if Biochem is incorporated into the bio section or not but it would only make sense that it would be.