MCAT 2015 May Score Released - Should I Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stardust379

Live what you love.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

NOTE: Keep in mind all of this applies to the osteopathic/D.O. application cycle.

I just got my score back from my May 22 MCAT and I received right smack at 500, which is average (51% percentile). Section-specific percentile rankings/scores are as follows:
Chem/Phys: 126/67%
Bio/Biochem: 126/67%
CARS: 123/33%
Psych/Soc: 125/55%

I am okay about my score. I was bummed initially, but considering the amount of actual studying I did, it was honestly expected. I was taking 4 classes at the time and really wanted to apply this cycle, so I took a shot and tried to power through the studying while simultaneously studying for classes. However, I also know that's not really an excuse. I was really surprised about verbal, and that's my main concern.

I am applying this cycle, but in September. I'm retaking a few classes this summer, and my class grades will be out by September. According to @Goro , this isn't late.

However, the rest of my stats are mediocre. My cGPA is 3.19 and sGPA a 3.32 by the end of summer.

I have a good amount of extracurriculars - being in a science sorority, camp counselor, director of three campus clubs, staff writer for a student-run independent newspaper, volunteer experience at two different hospitals, shadowing a D.O., and some psychiatric research. I have 5 letters of rec coming up - two from science professors, one from a non-science prof, one from my volunteering internship, and one from the D.O. I'm shadowing.

Considering everything, do you guys think it's worth retaking my MCAT? If I did, I would have to take it sometime around October (I end classes Sept. so I'll have at least a month to really focus on improving my weak areas) and would update schools by December.

Please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can tell you one thing about retaking; you do not want to retake unless you know you can do much better. Since classes end Sept., one month of studying is just not enough. It is much better to take a year off and score well than to retake the whole thing and end up with same result.

Reactions: 1 users
Where can I check the deadlines for D.O.? I know some of them have April 1st deadline, so I thought applying even in January is not late. Am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where can I check the deadlines for D.O.? I know some of them have April 1st deadline, so I thought applying even in January is not late. Am I missing something?

Oh, I was talking about for MD. Not sure about DO.

The DO cycle is much longer than the MD one. Applying in September is not considered late for DO.

Reactions: 1 user
I can tell you one thing about retaking; you do not want to retake unless you know you can do much better. Since classes end Sept., one month of studying is just not enough. It is much better to take a year off and score well than to retake the whole thing and end up with same result.

Totally agree. I don't think I'll retake - too much of a headache + not much time to study if I want to apply September. Thanks for the straight-up advice!