MCAT 2015 Practice Passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCruelOne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to begin studying for the 2015 MCAT and I've purchased Kaplan's 7-book set, however it doesn't seem to include any actual practice passages. I'm wondering if those of you who are currently studying for the new MCAT know of any resources that offer practice passages that can correspond to each of the different topics outlined in typical MCAT review books. I know Khan Academy offers some free passages, but are there any other resources that anyone is aware of?

Members don't see this ad.

TPR and EK have passages in their new content review books. If you register your Kaplan books online there are some there as well. And then of course there is the official practice test from AAMC.

I'm about to begin studying for the 2015 MCAT and I've purchased Kaplan's 7-book set, however it doesn't seem to include any actual practice passages. I'm wondering if those of you who are currently studying for the new MCAT know of any resources that offer practice passages that can correspond to each of the different topics outlined in typical MCAT review books. I know Khan Academy offers some free passages, but are there any other resources that anyone is aware of?

Hey,

I have the Kaplan set as well. If you register your books online like qkhb said, it will give you access to the passage based questions and three practice tests. If you do this, let me know if you can actually access the passages because mine still say "content will soon be added." I contacted Kaplan who said they should be coming out "soon."

Kahn academy has a significant number of passages. If you buy the $35 AAMC official guide to the 2015 MCAT, there's some 120+ questions most of which are passage based. Very soon the first official practice test and additional content will be released.

Best wishes studying

Hey,

I have the Kaplan set as well. If you register your books online like qkhb said, it will give you access to the passage based questions and three practice tests. If you do this, let me know if you can actually access the passages because mine still say "content will soon be added." I contacted Kaplan who said they should be coming out "soon."

Kahn academy has a significant number of passages. If you buy the $35 AAMC official guide to the 2015 MCAT, there's some 120+ questions most of which are passage based. Very soon the first official practice test and additional content will be released.

Best wishes studying

I just registered my books online, and yeah, I can access the passages that they currently have up on there. However, it looks like they only have passage-based questions for two chapters under each of the categories. I'm guessing it's the same way for you? Hopefully they'll add more content sooner rather than later. I just bought the AAMC Official Guide as well, so that should be coming in soon. In the meantime, I managed to find a new copy of it at my local library. I'll definitely be using Khan Academy as one of my main sources for passages, I think.

Thank you and best of luck to you, as well! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just registered my books online, and yeah, I can access the passages that they currently have up on there. However, it looks like they only have passage-based questions for two chapters under each of the categories. I'm guessing it's the same way for you? Hopefully they'll add more content sooner rather than later. I just bought the AAMC Official Guide as well, so that should be coming in soon. In the meantime, I managed to find a new copy of it at my local library. I'll definitely be using Khan Academy as one of my main sources for passages, I think.

Thank you and best of luck to you, as well! :)

Wait, can you actually open these passages and see the questions? When I click on them it says "This course asset is coming soon."

Edit: So I can't access the Bio ones but I can access all the other ones. I guess they're still putting them up.

Wait, can you actually open these passages and see the questions? When I click on them it says "This course asset is coming soon."

Edit: So I can't access the Bio ones but I can access all the other ones. I guess they're still putting them up.

Oops, yeah I didn't initially check to see if I could access each and every one of their posted passages, but I just went through them all again, and yeah, it seems like I can access most of the others with the exception of Biology. Hopefully they'll put some more up soon.

Khan academy is a wonderful resource, and I'd also recommend the current TPR SW. Since the content tested on the old test is still the same content that's tested on the new one (+ extras), this book is still very much relevant and beneficial. I suggest picking it up for now, and to take a look into purchasing more practice as it starts to roll out.

As far as sciences go, TPRH SW and TBR are still imo the best including for biochemistry (TBR has 2+ chapters devoted to it in enormous detail with 30+ relevant passages), and verbal you can still use the old TPR/EK books early in prep before new material comes out.

Reactions: 1 user
Oops, yeah I didn't initially check to see if I could access each and every one of their posted passages, but I just went through them all again, and yeah, it seems like I can access most of the others with the exception of Biology. Hopefully they'll put some more up soon.

Oh man! I actually joined SDN so I could participate in this discussion. I just have one quick question - have either of you received your enrollment emails so you can access the kindle portion of the books?

Last edited:
Oh man! I actually joined SDN so I could participate in this discussion. I just have one quick question - have either of you received your enrollment emails so you can access the kindle portion of the books?

I think only people who register for a Kaplan course get digital access. Their page says that "your Kaplan Test Prep course now includes digital editions of your Kaplan study materials". And you only get an enrollment email when you enroll in their prep course.

I was actually wondering about this too. It'd be really helpful to be able to access a digital form of the books, but what qkhb said makes sense. I'm not enrolling in an actual Kaplan course, so I guess I won't be able to access the Kindle books. :(

im enrolled in a Kaplan class, but was wondering how to actually " register books" I answered the question and click next but it takes me payment page for a course...?

im enrolled in a Kaplan class, but was wondering how to actually " register books" I answered the question and click next but it takes me payment page for a course...?

I'm pretty sure it did the same for me as well, except the payment page indicated that I had to pay $0.00, so I just went ahead and submitted the form.

What would you guys recommend for additional passage practice problems for specially the behavioral science section though? I can help to feel a devoid of passage practice problems with this section...

What would you guys recommend for additional passage practice problems for specially the behavioral science section though? I can help to feel a devoid of passage practice problems with this section...

KHAN Academy has some pretty good passages for practice.

I've been matching up old TBR passages with current Kaplan chapters. This won't work for the behavioral sciences, obviously, but there's a decent amount of biochem in the old TBRs and they're getting somewhat cheaper to purchase second-hand.

So do you guys think Khan Academy's passages are sufficient for the Behavioral section? I ended up getting Exam Krackers too, but even they only have a few passages per chapter.

So do you guys think Khan Academy's passages are sufficient for the Behavioral section? I ended up getting Exam Krackers too, but even they only have a few passages per chapter.

Compared to other prep companies (CONTENT only), EK seems to have more passages for the psych/socio. NS may also have as much, but I'm not sure. NS does have a psych/socio Strategy & Practice book which includes 4 FL for that section alone.

Here's a free biochemistry book offered from OSU especially for premeds: http://biochem.science.oregonstate.edu/biochemistry-free-and-easy

They have some neat aspects included with the book to help make biochemistry fun and engaging. While you may not use it as you primary source, it may help you with grasp the more difficult concepts. Happy Studying! :)

Reactions: 3 users