MCAT 2015 Prep Materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apsmith1991

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first post on student doctor network. I've been doing tons of research and lurking throughout threads and reviews for the best way to study for the new MCAT. Firstly a little about me. I'm a senior at USF doing a B.S. in Cell and Molecular bio and a nurse in the Army. Ive taken all the pre reqs except biochemistry thus far. Currently I'm deployed (8 months left) so this is a great time to study and give myself lots of time to fully prepare. I originally was going to do Kaplan's Live Online program but after looking into it more I didn't think the Kaplan course was really needed with the materials I already have, and what i just bought($300), for the price of the Live Online program ($2k). So I wanted to lay it all out there, give you an overview of what I came up with in terms of prep materials and see what you guys think, recommend etc.

What I already have: (found randomly online through a link on some forum on here in .pdf)
- EK 1001 Passages verbal reasoning (older version)
- EK Chem (7th edition)
- EK OChem (7th edition)
- EK Phys (7th edition)
- EK Verbal & Math (7th edition)
- EK Bio 1001 (older version)
- EK Phys 1001 (older version)
- EK OChem 10o1 (older version)
- EK Chem 1001 (older version)
- All old AAMC practice test with solutions
- All old Kaplan section, subject, and topical test with solutions

^ LUCKed out big time with all those (don't ask where I found them.. honestly I looked but can't seem to find again, there are so many threads!)

What I just bought: (300$)
- The Official Guide to the MCAT
- Complete Kaplan 7-book Set (comes with online practice tests)
- EK Psych & sociology (9th edition)
- TPR Biology & Biochem (comes with online practice tests)
-Kaplan MCAT 528
- Kaplan MCAT Flashcards + APP

I figured I would use Kaplan as my main content guides and use TRP and EK to supplement some of the material as I move through the sections. I heard that EK 1001 passages for verbal is a must so i will use this and Kaplan's CARS book for that section. I have TONS of practice questions material from the old official exams and EK 1001 books, plus Kaplan's 528 book.

I heard that the best way to learn this material is by reviewing it like you would take the MCAT. Jumping around from subject to subject, section to section. Not just learning all of bio at once and then Chem. So need to formulate some sort of schedule which will allow me to cover everything.

I am nervous with using some of the old material since from what I've got the new exam will be asking the questions differently from a "medical" standpoint. Im a nurse so I understand the body pretty well but testing on physics topics for example like a normal class vs using the same concepts from a medical standpoint might be confusing if your didn't study like that.

The only things I believe I want to buy at a later date after review the content and take practice questions and tests is the NEW official AAMC practice exams. Im not sure exactly how many are released as of today 7/24/2015 but i do know at least 1 is available. Next is the 5 full-length Next- Step exams for 149$. It looks like the format of the online test is pretty similar to the actual exam.

The only thing I belive I would benefit from with Kaplan Live online is access to the bank of videos and the group instruction sessions ( different times throughout (think around 8-10) ). These benefits for an additional 1700 didn't seem worth it. Especially now with Khan Academy.com, there is a huge bank of videos over every topic and tons of practice passages, that i can use if need be to supplement or really zone in on a concept. Also going to sign up for the "Question of the day" at Kaplan and a couple other sites I've heard about.

So this my plan and all the materials I've acquired. let me know what you think and ANY other suggestions that would benefit me moving forward in my study process.

Thanks docs and future docs!

Aaron

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user