MCAT 2015, Similarities Between BioChemistry and Biology books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiasmaticHelium

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have TPR Biology review from the previous MCAT, and it is relatively new. I'm taking the new 2015 MCAT in June and I'm almost entirely done with content review..However, I have run across a question.

I am using Kaplan's 2015 MCAT Biochemistry review. Concretely, I have come to notice that many of these chapters are VERY similar to the TPR regular biology review. I have never taken a biochem course (graduated with health services mgmt degree, and of course covered the pre-reqs required for 90% of med schools). Is there really this much content overlap between the two subjects? For most of the new things that have been discussed in this biochem book, it's covered in TBR O chem carbs/lipids/proteins or the regular TPR bio book.

I'm just trying to make sure I'm not missing anything here.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello folks,

I have TPR Biology review from the previous MCAT, and it is relatively new. I'm taking the new 2015 MCAT in June and I'm almost entirely done with content review..However, I have run across a question.

I am using Kaplan's 2015 MCAT Biochemistry review. Concretely, I have come to notice that many of these chapters are VERY similar to the TPR regular biology review. I have never taken a biochem course (graduated with health services mgmt degree, and of course covered the pre-reqs required for 90% of med schools). Is there really this much content overlap between the two subjects? For most of the new things that have been discussed in this biochem book, it's covered in TBR O chem carbs/lipids/proteins or the regular TPR bio book.

I'm just trying to make sure I'm not missing anything here.

You're not crazy. There is a lot of overlap with the basics of cell and molecular biology. Biochemistry just goes in more depth, and introduces a few novel concepts (assuming you've had a year of bio, chem, and organic).

Check with AAMC's content outline to see if you've covered everything.

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I have noticed a few "this is new" concepts. But not nearly as much as I was expecting. And yes, completed the years worth of Bio, O Chem, Physics, and Gen Chem.