Forum Members 100 DAY MCAT STUDY PLAN adapted from SN2ed & MCATjelly - EK, TBR, TPRH, Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_Nymeria_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Using this plan (<--Click), I went from 30th Percentile to 90th Percentile!

HERE IS AN UPDATED ARTICLE How I Went from 30th to 90th Percentile (<--Click) I WROTE ABOUT THE SPECIFICS OF MY STUDY PLAN

***UPDATED 2021 100 DAY MCAT SCHEDULE*** CLICK HERE for an updated version incorporating more modern resources. Created by the SDN team based on all of YOUR advice on various pages. Looks awesome!

I created a 2015 adaptation from @SN2ed's and @mcatjelly's study plans. I tried to eliminate some of the physics not covered in the new MCAT and am open to suggestions! I'll also probably combine some of the days if I can get through the chapters quicker than expected.

Key points: Practice is important! Don't read too much about Verbal strategy, just practice and hone your skills. REVIEW EVERYTHING! Always question why you missed something and always question why you got it right. Review should take as long as the actual passage, test, etc.

**I keep getting questions about why I RECOMMEND the pre-2015 books, this is inaccurate. It is not that I recommend pre-2015 MCAT books. I used pre-2015 MCAT books because that was all that was available to me when I was studying for the 2015 MCAT, and it worked fine for me.

**PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS BECAUSE I KEEP GETTING REPEAT QUESTIONS: The Kaplan column was adapted from mcatjelly's schedule specifically for individuals that only have Kaplan books and do not want to buy the entire set of materials I used. I did not personally complete mcatjelly's study plan, nor did I study using that. I only used their plan to adapt mine to Kaplan materials. Though I do not recommend the Kaplan books. They are too detailed. The MCAT is more broad!! Don't focus on details.

- Materials I Incorporated:

-SN2ed Complete Set (<-- CLICK AND READ) (BR Verbal not necessary) YOU MUST READ THIS PLAN FOR MINE TO MAKE SENSE- I used Pre-2015 BR books

-2015 Kaplan Study Books & On-Demand Course (optional - only added for individuals that already have Kaplan books) - Not recommended. Too detailed.

-NextStep Psychology and Sociology Strategy and Practice book 2015

You can buy these off of Ebay, Amazon, or you can get them here: For Sale and Advertisements

Here are some updates that you can make to the plan:
- Add AAMC practice question packs the 2-3 weeks before your MCAT. This is a great way to become comfortable with the way the authors write.
- You do not necessarily need three different CARS/Verbal resources. You can use the AAMC question packs, EK101 (though these seem easier than the new CARS section), TPRH Verbal Book
- Think of this plan as a checklist. You can rearrange it however you want
- Realize I posted this plan before I even took the MCAT. I was still trying to make sense of the 2015 MCAT
- Taking forever to read through a chapter? I mostly watched Khan Academy MCAT section to learn a lot of the material then skimmed the chapters for anything Khan Academy did not cover. Then I went and did passages. REVIEW YOUR PASSAGES. Review your mistakes. Review the questions you got right. Spend a lot of time figuring out how you can eliminate answer choices. LEARN to beat the test.
- Don't focus on minute details. The MCAT is BIG PICTURE.
- YOU MUST KNOW YOUR AMINO ACIDS! Here are the two quiz sites I used to learn them (I literally did these every other morning for three months). Click here for structure and Click here for abbreviations
- I made an equation sheet as I was studying. Memorized the equation sheet. Then reproduced the equation sheet on the scratch paper given to me during the tutorial time allotted. I found this very useful.

**Please read all of my responses. It is important to learn the skill of self-learning and researching. I continue to get repeat and ill-researched questions. Remember to review SN2ed's stuff as well. I promise reading these things WILL help you!

You will do A LOT of reading, researching, and planning before you start taking the MCAT
. Remember, AAMC recommends a minimum of 300 hours of studying.

I think the biggest takeaway from all of this is ADAPT these materials to your learning style. PRACTICE. Be tenacious!

Good Luck Everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2015 MCAT STUDY PLAN.pdf
    300.1 KB · Views: 61,388
  • MCAT STUDY PLAN.docx
    242.6 KB · Views: 15,707
  • NEW 2019 100-Day-MCAT-Schedule-SDN Created - NOT MINE.pdf
    266.9 KB · Views: 992
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 58 users
Hey thanks for getting back to my question!

I had one more. So, I am wondering what pages/sections we should omit when using your study plan (in terms of the BR books)? For example, for organic chemistry chapter 1 which parts should we omit or include in our study? all of it? Also, day 6 , you say we should do inclined planes and pulleys but wasnt pulleys removed from the MCAT 2015? Thanks!

Hey Everyone.

Using this plan, I went from 30th Percentile to 90th Percentile!

HERE IS AN UPDATED ARTICLE I WROTE ABOUT THE SPECIFICS OF MY STUDY PLAN

I created a 2015 adaptation from @SN2ed's and @mcatjelly's study plans. I tried to eliminate some of the physics not covered in the new MCAT and am open to suggestions! I'll also probably combine some of the days if I can get through the chapters quicker than expected.

**I keep getting questions about why I RECOMMEND the pre-2015 books, this is inaccurate. It is not that I recommend pre-2015 MCAT books. I used pre-2015 MCAT books because that was all that was available to me when I was studying for the 2015 MCAT, and it worked fine for me.

**The Kaplan column was adapted from mcatjelly's schedule specifically for individuals that only have Kaplan books and do not want to buy the entire set of materials I used. I did not personally complete mcatjelly's study plan, nor did I study using that. I only used their plan to adapt mine to Kaplan materials.

- Materials I Incorporated:

-SN2ed Complete Set (BR Verbal not necessary) YOU MUST READ THIS PLAN FOR MINE TO MAKE SENSE- I used Pre-2015 BR books

-2015 Kaplan Study Books & On-Demand Course (optional - only added for individuals that already have Kaplan books)

-NextStep Psychology and Sociology Strategy and Practice book 2015

You can buy these off of Ebay, Amazon, or you can get them here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/for-sale-and-advertisements.230/

Good Luck Everyone!

Hey, thanks for making this plan.
So I see that you said Kaplan Biochem is good for content review, but it doesn't have practice passages. What did you use for Biochem practice?

I am new here and I saw the schedule, there were many things that I did not understand but I will look at the previous posts for the clairification. What I had question was that in the practice Full Length it was mentioned 1-7 BR and 1-6 Kaplan Old practice test. I do not know where to find those old ones, so if is possible please let me know.
Thanks you in advanced.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, thank you for this plan! Without out it, I would have no idea where to start.

However, I am a bit concerned about burning out; I have accepted a full-time paid internship that will begin in June and end in the middle of August. I can't afford to not work during the summer, plus, I couldn't say no to this position. Anyway, that gives me from now until the end of May to have full dedication to MCAT review. In June, July, and a week or so of August, I will have to cut back on my MCAT hours. As of now, I plan on taking the MCAT August 25th, so I'd have about a week and a half after my internship ends to resume 100% MCAT focus (of course incorporating a few exercise breaks and such).

So, this question is geared more to those who have been in a situation similar to mine - was this guide still do-able while working/taking classes? Were there elements that you found non-essential? (Feel free to give your opinion though even if you weren't working while taking the MCAT)

Also, has anyone condensed the content review into 30-40 days (the original gives ~70 days)? I'm considering re-working the schedule doing something like that, because I don't want to restrict my time for exam practice, plus it'd be great to have content down before starting my internship. I believe my strongest subject is biology (I've TA'd bio twice, human phys once), and biochemistry, while definitely was hellish, is fresh in my head because I just took it this semester. So I'm considering combining biochem/gen chem days with bio days. But again, any advice on this would be appreciated.

Okay I don't mean to appear"thick but SN2ed sort of didn't really explain it very well, I have no idea why he/she wrote "1/3" on each day of review? What does that mean?

Okay I don't mean to appear"thick but SN2ed sort of didn't really explain it very well, I have no idea why he/she wrote "1/3" on each day of review? What does that mean?

In the Berkeley Review books, there are passages with questions at the end of each chapter. Instead of doing the passages for that chapter all at once, you only do every third passage (i.e. I, IV, VII, etc.)

Reactions: 1 user
I found the TBR book is only decent for touch up review, not if you need to relearn some of the core content.

I have a question about the study plan @_Nymeria_
What exactly does it mean by "reread the chapters from the past week"?
I just got my BR books and realized that each chapter is often quite extensive (60 pages).
How would it be possible to re read 5 chapters at 60 pages a chapter = 300 pages in just one day? And that isn't even considering the chapters from the other books from that week?

Oh wait, I realized like 20 to 30 pages are for the practice exams. That still leaves like 30 pages of reading for each chapter, meaning 150 pages per day. Would this be reasonable? How do you read 150 pages in a day?

Anybody here studying using the updated BR books?

I noticed that there are practice exams at the back of the book with mixed content in all of them. Has anyone looked up which passages correspond to each chapter and made a spreadsheet? It would save a lot of time and be much appreciated if you shared it!

Thanks so much for this! I plan on using this to study this summer. However, I am torn between whether or not to use the newest editions of these books or the pre-2015 editions! If I were to purchase the newest editions for the new MCAT, would this plan still work?

Thanks so much for this! I plan on using this to study this summer. However, I am torn between whether or not to use the newest editions of these books or the pre-2015 editions! If I were to purchase the newest editions for the new MCAT, would this plan still work?
I started this plan about a month ago, and I'm using the OLD edition of TBR and the NEW Examkrackers for biology/biochemistry (if you haven't taken biochem, you'll probably need to supplement this with Kaplan). Thus far, I've had no issues, but if you do go with any old versions, be sure to abide by AAMC guidelines for what will be tested on the new MCAT - this is especially important for physics and chemistry, because that section has undergone some significant changes (for the most part, removal of material that would be in older review books).

Members don't see this ad :)

I used the new TBR biology, orgo, and psychology books with the older gen chem and physics books. I would have preferred to use the new ones, but they weren't released at the time I started studying. I loved the new orgo books. I didn't think they were that different at first, but the passages are a big improvement and there are things like beta-lactams and eicosanoids included now. The new ones are worth the effort to order (which is not an easy thing to do). The new biology books and old biology books seem close enough that it shouldn't matter. I loved their psychology book more than any resource I had at my disposal. I can't speak specifically about their new general and physics books and I did quite well using the old versions, but if I was starting today I would get all new TBR stuff and not worry about cross-referencing the AAMC guide. The new orgo book is very good and I expect the general and physics books to be as equally upgraded.

Reactions: 1 users
1. I studied before any 2015 materials were available (except the Kaplan books). You will have to look elsewhere for reviews on the EK 2015 books and whether or not they are actually suited more for the new MCAT. The content and strategy is still going to be pretty similar minus the addition of psych/soc. I also made this study guide with all the materials I had available to myself.

2. I think that should be fine! I didn't use the TPRH Science book myself, but it seems like it would serve the sam purpose as the EK 1001 books.

3. Unfortunately, I think you would benefit from more practice than that. Do they also have passages or are they only discrete? You want to gather as much material as you can that replicates what you will see on the MCAT. AAMC offers practice passages and problem packages that may be useful.

One thing to keep in mind is you can also sell your books after you take the test. I made almost all of my money back for all of my books.

Thanks for such a great answer:)

I used this schedule and went from 32nd percentile (on old MCAT) to 88th percentile on this one! Thank you so much.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you so much for posting your schedule. I take the MCAT in April, so about 6 months from September when I start studying for it. Since i take mine during the semester, I have doubled the days of studying from September to April about 220 days. I have a few questions i hope that you can answer when you get a chance.
On the hat trick what do you mean by PS and BS? is that Physical and Biological Science respectively? and when doing the Hat trick do you combine PS and BS topics? Also, How can one know all the PS and BS topics to list down?

Why did you at times use EK books for content and then go to the BR books for passages? wouldn't have been easy just to use the BR books for content and the corresponding passages? or are they benefits using the EK book for content and BR for passages?
Also, what do you mean by 1/3 BR?

did you take you MCAT this year(2016)? and what helped you the most using this schedule?
Yeah I took it in June. I think what helped most is the practice and mixture of resources. I did at least 3-5 science passages and 3 verbal everyday during the content review phase. Then there is practically a month of just full length exams to get you ready for the actual test. Obviously there is not one test prep company that is perfect for all subjects. I used a majority of the old BR but if I didn't understand a certain topic or didn't like how it was presented I would use TPR or Kaplan for additional studying. For CARS, I alternated between TPR, NextStep, ExamKrackers, anything I could get my hands on.

The BR bio is known for being too detailed and I think thats why the schedule recommends to use EK. For the hat trick I pulled up the foundational concepts from AAMC and made flash cards for every single one. Yes it took time and filled a shoebox but even just making them gave me a good review of concepts. I really think the new MCAT is more focused on your ability to bring in knowledge from chemistry, physics and biology to solve problems instead of focusing on how much you know of this specific topic in physics for example. The hat trick helps you make those connections.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey, a quick question, for people who have used/are using this, are you just reading or are you making your own notes on the readings as you go along?

Last edited:
On the plan, does anybody know what to do with the 2nd/middle and 3rd column? I don't understand what it wants me to do. For the 3rd column titled Kaplan, I'm not sure what Kaplan book it's referring to as it mentions chapter numbers, but not the subject. Also, On day 2, the 3rd column says Kaplan online video. However, what video is it referring to? I can make sense of the 1st column well, but not the middle and 3rd. Does anyone have the answer to this? Thank you.

On the plan, does anybody know what to do with the 2nd/middle and 3rd column? I don't understand what it wants me to do. For the 3rd column titled Kaplan, I'm not sure what Kaplan book it's referring to as it mentions chapter numbers, but not the subject. Also, On day 2, the 3rd column says Kaplan online video. However, what video is it referring to? I can make sense of the 1st column well, but not the middle and 3rd. Does anyone have the answer to this? Thank you.
Have you had any revelations?

Can you please tell me what the third column of the schedule refers to in terms of the Kaplan topic?? Thank you!

I didn't use Kaplan though so I didn't pay attention to that column. The OP wrote: 2015 Kaplan Study Books & On-Demand Course (optional - only added for individuals that already have Kaplan books) so I am assuming they are the corresponding Kaplan chapters to those BR topics.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't use Kaplan though so I didn't pay attention to that column. The OP wrote: 2015 Kaplan Study Books & On-Demand Course (optional - only added for individuals that already have Kaplan books) so I am assuming they are the corresponding Kaplan chapters to those BR topics.
That is what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure. Thank you! I will see what other people say too.

How would you add in all the AAMC bundle products? Are all of the products necessary, or can I leave some of them off? When would I start to add them in?

1. So after doing some researching, I found that apparently the Princeton Review Hyperlearning books for bio and verbal (newest editions) are only available if you take the class? So is the PRH bio book in this guide not relevant then? Because I could only find very old editions for sale around online.
However, I believe the verbal PRH book is relevant, even if you get an old edition? I found some people online saying that older editions for verbal still work for the new MCAT.
Not sure how much of this is true.

Also:
2. What is a discrete?

3. I see that for biology content review, you guys give the option of EK Bio or BR/TPR Hyperlearning (I can't find an updated 2015 version for this).
I feel like I should do the more content heavy one, so should I just go with BR Bio?

I just have this idea that if I go with lighter content source material I am going to miss out on something important.

4. Why would you do the EK Bio for content and then BR Bio for practice passages? Aren't they different books of different difficulties, so you'd be missing information that would make it very hard to do BR practice problems?

5. Also, what is the point in doing the EK Bio in class exams at the end of each week? What does this mean? Is biology the most relevant section on the MCAT or something? Why are there not EK Chem in class exams, EK physics in class exams.....etc....

6. Also, on your study guide, it repeats "EK Bio in class exam #1 for each week". I'm assuming you meant each successive exam? Are these for each chapter? So the 2nd week would be chapter, 2, etc....

7. Also, so it looks like you use mostly BR for content. Or Kaplan for content if that is all you have, and then for bio content only, you use either EK/BR/Or TPR.

So I feel like for all of this, I should use a heavier content material because I did okay in my pre req classes, but I feel like I should learn the material well again and not just skim over stuff.
I've heard BR is good, but also somewhat more detailed than needed. How does BR compare to Kaplan in terms of doing in depth without going too in depth? lol

I'm sorry for all of the questions. I've been going over your notes and guide and Sn2eds stuff over the past few days trying to wrap my head around this large volume of prep material haha. I didn't think the challenge of the MCAT would begin at this point when I am only trying to figure out my plan and which books to buy.......I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered and don't miss anything important.

Did you ever find an answer to you questions? In particular what exactly "discrete" implies?

Did you ever find an answer to you questions? In particular what exactly "discrete" implies?

I'm pretty sure a discrete is just one of those straight up fact questions, not based on a passage. One of the free standing questions
So I'm currently studying now:
3. BR Bio is pretty content heavy. But I like it. I don't have EK Bio
4. I guess they did this because they figured it would be a waste of time to go through BR bio. Again, I guess this is just your choice based on how much review you want.
5. Not sure about this
6. I think that was a typo on their part.
7. I don't think I was asking a question here.....lol

So we're getting all the material that SN2ed listed and the kaplan books? Also, do we get the new BK and examkracker books or the old one?

First, thank you for this plan! Without out it, I would have no idea where to start.

However, I am a bit concerned about burning out; I have accepted a full-time paid internship that will begin in June and end in the middle of August. I can't afford to not work during the summer, plus, I couldn't say no to this position. Anyway, that gives me from now until the end of May to have full dedication to MCAT review. In June, July, and a week or so of August, I will have to cut back on my MCAT hours. As of now, I plan on taking the MCAT August 25th, so I'd have about a week and a half after my internship ends to resume 100% MCAT focus (of course incorporating a few exercise breaks and such).

So, this question is geared more to those who have been in a situation similar to mine - was this guide still do-able while working/taking classes? Were there elements that you found non-essential? (Feel free to give your opinion though even if you weren't working while taking the MCAT)

Also, has anyone condensed the content review into 30-40 days (the original gives ~70 days)? I'm considering re-working the schedule doing something like that, because I don't want to restrict my time for exam practice, plus it'd be great to have content down before starting my internship. I believe my strongest subject is biology (I've TA'd bio twice, human phys once), and biochemistry, while definitely was hellish, is fresh in my head because I just took it this semester. So I'm considering combining biochem/gen chem days with bio days. But again, any advice on this would be appreciated.

Whew. You'll be busy! It's going to be all about time management! AAMC recommends at least 300 hours of studying for the MCAT. This schedule is really malleable. You can consider it more like a checklist of things you need to complete. For me, I was a psych major, so I really didn't study psych much at all (I included it in the schedule for all of you!). I also didn't always complete chapters or do all of the passages. Sometimes I just moved along if I was falling behind. It's based on YOU and YOUR strengths.

Make sure you read my article about what everything means. Additionally, the MOST IMPORTANT PART IS PRACTICE like it's test day. I had my meals, snacks, and outfit already figured out for all of the practice exams (this is how I found out bananas upset my stomach lol). Also, review of your full lengths should take a LONG time. Look at why you got things right, why you got them wrong, how you could have eliminated some of the answer choices, etc.

Good luck!

Hello @_Nymeria_ ,

I just started a very similar schedule to yours. Question regarding the reading for the day. How do you do this reading?

What I have been doing so far in lets say a TBR chapter is I would read word for word the entire chapter section by section understanding in depth what the author is trying to say to me (basically Im not passively reading). When I come across an in chapter example I would try to solve it on my own I would then see where/what I did right or wrong (again understanding in depth the trick they employed or process the author took for that example question).
I have found this EXTREMELY time consuming often taking me all day for some chapters before I even get to the review questions or corresponding EK practice questions...

What methods did you find the most effective? I have a habit of studying directly from text books however its not like that has been the 100% most effective form of studying for me in the past so I am open to alternate methods.

Should I be going through corresponding video content from Khan academy ===> answering question ==> then going through the parts of the chapter that I was weak on ==> followed by more practice questions.

Feeling a bit over whelmed and stress out today. Very demoralizing to only get my CARS assignment done, and the reading done for the day and no practice questions... The reading was literally 90% of my day since my CARS practice is timed...

I leaned mostly on Khan Academy and only skimmed through the reading. Remember the MCAT is testing BROAD topics and NOT specifics. Don't get bogged down in the details. See some of my other responses for strategies to improve your score.

Don't do too much reading with CARS. Do a lot of practice and review. Hope this helps!

Oh wait, I realized like 20 to 30 pages are for the practice exams. That still leaves like 30 pages of reading for each chapter, meaning 150 pages per day. Would this be reasonable? How do you read 150 pages in a day?

I watched a Khan Academy video or skimmed my notes when I felt like I remembered most things. If it's a topic you completely forgot then read again or skim the parts you need a refresher on. I'll be honest, sometimes I did not look over everything. It's all about repetition and refreshing the information.

hi i have a question, i don't have the berkeley books can i substitute them for kaplan or ek books ?

If you have to, you can, but the practice in the BR books is unparalleled! I included the MCAT for people that couldn't afford the BR books.

How would you add in all the AAMC bundle products? Are all of the products necessary, or can I leave some of them off? When would I start to add them in?

I actually love these products!! I've had a chance to see them now (they didn't exist when I was studying). Buy them and do them the 2-3 weeks leading up to taking the MCAT!

Whew. You'll be busy! It's going to be all about time management! AAMC recommends at least 300 hours of studying for the MCAT. This schedule is really malleable. You can consider it more like a checklist of things you need to complete. For me, I was a psych major, so I really didn't study psych much at all (I included it in the schedule for all of you!). I also didn't always complete chapters or do all of the passages. Sometimes I just moved along if I was falling behind. It's based on YOU and YOUR strengths.

Make sure you read my article about what everything means. Additionally, the MOST IMPORTANT PART IS PRACTICE like it's test day. I had my meals, snacks, and outfit already figured out for all of the practice exams (this is how I found out bananas upset my stomach lol). Also, review of your full lengths should take a LONG time. Look at why you got things right, why you got them wrong, how you could have eliminated some of the answer choices, etc.

Good luck!

I was SUPER busy! But it definitely paid off in the end; I'm ecstatic about my score! Thank you again!

I am having trouble on the term FL. does it pertain to only Full length practice exams? if so I called the AAMC to purchase the "3-5" and "7-10" they said they did not know what that means. I am so confused. I also purchased the bundle which said it contains all of there mcat prep materials.

Does anyone know when it says "Complete EK 1001 Sections" which sections it's talking about? Like on day 7 for example it says complete EK 1001 sections, does this mean you have to complete the entire chapter 1 of gen ochem EK 1001 because you read BR O-chem chapter 1 on day 1?

Slightly different question than what previous people have posted I believe...
...Do the post-2015 BR books chapters have the same amount of (and order of) chapters as the pre-2015 BR books?

I need a study buddy. Please message me if you would like to quiz and discuss MCAT material (serious intermediate students only please ). Thank you

Slightly different question than what previous people have posted I believe...
...Do the post-2015 BR books chapters have the same amount of (and order of) chapters as the pre-2015 BR books?

For biology, yes. But for general chemistry there are now twelve chapters (shorter than before, when there were ten). Organic chemistry is still eight chapters, but they are different, with 5-8 being heavy on biochemistry and applied organic chemistry. Likewise with the physics books. There are still ten chapters, but the chapters are different (slightly shorter than before). All of the books have a greater number of passages, and they include several review exams now.

Reactions: 2 users
I actually love these products!! I've had a chance to see them now (they didn't exist when I was studying). Buy them and do them the 2-3 weeks leading up to taking the MCAT!

Nymeria, when you said you memorized your equations/formulas and wrote them down on the scratch paper the day of, did you write them all down immediately during the first section or did you write them before (physics)and before (chemistry)? I know that we have to "turn in" our scratch paper after each section and this is making me anxious. Thank you for your help.

I made an equation sheet as I was studying. Memorized the equation sheet. Then reproduced the equation sheet on the scratch paper given to me during the tutorial time allotted. I found this very useful.

Nymeria: Thanks for all the time you've put into helping all of us out! You've gone above and beyond with this thread...

I hope I'm not pushing my luck by asking...but do you have any recommendations as to which equations we should focus on? I've come across soooo many equations during the content review, it's been a bit overwhelming...did you just write all of them down and narrow your list as you did practice problems?