MCAT 2015 Thread - Applying the first year it'll be given?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureSurgical

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am unfortunate enough to have to take the 2015 MCAT. But what will the adcoms compare the 1st gen scores to? There isn't a chart that compares new score to old score (i.e. 515 = ~35 on current MCAT). I know the mean is 500 but I couldn't find a SD (probably because no one has taken it yet). Should I just aim for something greater than 500?

Members don't see this ad.

500 is the average, look for something above 505-510 for a upper tier score.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/382754/data/mcat2015scorereportgraphic.pdf

In the sample scoring report, they showed the 127 to be in the 75th percentile. Now, 4x that would be 508. The 506 they have as the total score is in the 76th percentile for that, fake, MCAT 2015 exam. I'm sure a 508 and above would put you around 80th percentile and should be good enough for most schools. Top 20, you're looking at 515 or higher. This is simply extrapolation from the data presented. There's no concrete answers out there for comparison between the old and new scores.

They will provide data to medical schools after students take first two or so new exams along with how to interpret scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
They will provide data to medical schools after students take first two or so new exams along with how to interpret scores.
Continuing with this, I don't think AAMC will ever release the comparison chart between the old MCAT and MCAT15 to us. I think they'll solely send the comparison and translation report for the old MCAT to MCAT15 to the medical schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright then. 508 is my goal! Also, should I wait until about April or May to take the MCAT15? Just to see the normal curve lies?

Take it whenever you're ready. If you take it in April, and you don't achieve your desired threshold, you can take it again in May or prep for a gap year if you need to. If you take it in May and you don't achieve your desired threshold, you're basically forced to take a gap year or submit with whatever grade you get. If you're applying for the 2015 cycle, getting accepted in 2016, you can take it in January if you feel more comfortable taking the current MCAT. That way you'll have ample time to prep for MCAT15 in case you want to retake. But again, it depends on which cycle you're trying to get an admission for.

I want to matriculate in 2016. Unfortunately, with my schedule this fall, I can't start studying until next spring. Which forces me to take the MCAT15. My plan is to take it March and if I don't do well, then I'll take it May. Not sure if this is a good approach?