MCAT 2015 without taking Biochemistry before

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AaronBsox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, thanks for checking out my post. I have two plans in mind for my medical school process.
I am currently a Junior.

My current plan: (pre-req wise)
Fall 2014:
  • Organic Chem 1, Physics 1
Spring 2015:
  • Organic Chem 2, Physics 2, Psychology, Medical Sociology
Summer 2015:
  • Take MCAT right when spring finishes.
  • Send in application.
Second Plan:
Fall 2014:
  • Organic Chem 1, Physics 1
Spring 2015:
  • Organic Chem 2, Physics 2, Psychology, Medical Sociology
Fall 2015:
  • Biochemistry, begin reviewing for MCAT.
Spring 2016:
  • Take MCAT early and if needed retake.
Summer 2016:
  • Send in Med School app.

The first plan is what I am doing currently. The problem is that I won't have Biochemistry completed before it would take the MCAT 2015 and it has been added on to the exam. A part of me thinks, "Well the whole test won't consist of biochem so maybe if I study it some I could get by." But then I am worried I just won't do well. I would love some wisdom from my fellow SDNer's. Also, the whole GAP year idea isn't something that appeals to me that much. I think because I would just love to get a start on med school without that break in between.

I know that the second plan will be favored in this post. I just want some feedback that will maybe give me hope that the 1st plan is actually attainable! Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I know I saw that. This is some advice I have received from a friend currently in med school. They said try to self-learn and apply this summer. If I maybe get an interview, great and then if I don't receive admission anywhere I can apply the next summer. They said its great to get my name out there because medical schools appreciate consistency. What do you think? It sucks too because I would have taken biochem this next semester but I need OChem 2.

Yeah I know I saw that. This is some advice I have received from a friend currently in med school. They said try to self-learn and apply this summer. If I maybe get an interview, great and then if I don't receive admission anywhere I can apply the next summer. They said its great to get my name out there because medical schools appreciate consistency. What do you think? It sucks too because I would have taken biochem this next semester but I need OChem 2.

No, your friend's advice is bad and will be possibly detrimental to your chances of getting into medical school.

First, do NOT take the new MCAT without biochemistry. It is the cornerstone of the new MCAT. Don't try to self-study it unless you literally have no other choice. Just find a way to take it and do well in it, since you're going to have to take it eventually. I see no benefit in trying to taking the MCAT before taking this class.

Second, do NOT apply until you are ready. The best application is a strong 1st time applicant. Contrary to what your friend says, getting your name out there is NOT a good thing when it comes to applying to medical schools. Schools will think "this person was rejected by every single school last cycle....Was there something wrong with that applicant that we just aren't seeing now?" Sure, being a reapplicant isn't the end of the world, but it definitely is NOT better than applying ONE time and getting it right. I can't also imagine why you would plan to spend twice the amount of money necessary to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very true. I just hate the thought of having to push back my application process an entire year because of one class. I know it is a big part of the new MCAT but still it just is a bummer. You're advice is great and thanks I really appreciate it. Any words of advice to make a gap year sound more appealing?

Very true. I just hate the thought of having to push back my application process an entire year because of one class. I know it is a big part of the new MCAT but still it just is a bummer. You're advice is great and thanks I really appreciate it. Any words of advice to make a gap year sound more appealing?

This will be your last chance to be free for a whole year. You will literally have no more gaps left to do whatever you want to do ever again, unless you take a year hiatus some time during your employment.

This will be your last chance to be free for a whole year./QUOTE]

Yes that is very true. I feel there are pros and cons to both sides though. I'm just to anxious of a person and I want to be completely immersed. Can you relate? Did you take a gap year?

Haha clearly I do not know how to quote...

My response:
Yes that is very true. I feel there are pros and cons to both sides though. I'm just to anxious of a person and I want to be completely immersed. Can you relate? Did you take a gap year?

Haha clearly I do not know how to quote...

My response:

I haven't applied yet, but I'm not planning on taking a gap year, but due to personal reasons. If I got to choose and outside factors weren't involved, I would most definitely take a gap year and do research and possibly study abroad.

I see, well thanks for your wisdom it is greatly appreciated!