MCAT 2015.... :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faye74

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I made the mistake of not registering for the old MCAT months and months in advance so I'm stuck with MCAT 2015.
I'm just wondering what're you all using to study? EK is releasing its 9th edition for the MCAT 2015. The set is $275. You guys think these would be enough? I know no one can speak from experience yet so just looking for opinions! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

So I made the mistake of not registering for the old MCAT months and months in advance so I'm stuck with MCAT 2015.
I'm just wondering what're you all using to study? EK is releasing its 9th edition for the MCAT 2015. The set is $275. You guys think these would be enough? I know no one can speak from experience yet so just looking for opinions! ;)

I wonder what they offer differently from say the Kaplan book package. I'd rather have them release a 1001 question series for the new MCAT like they did for the old one.

Kaplan's set is pretty good for content, but their practice is weak - they just don't have much of it.
My advice is to mix and match books in order to get as much practice as you can, but that first starts with the AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT2015 that has 120 AAMC questions, getting (and mostly likely taking more than the once) the AAMC practice test, and the Khan Academy practice passages (free). Apparently the AAMC will be releasing more MCAT questions "soon," but who knows what that means. The AAMC site that can help organize where to start is:
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/preparing/

On top of that, my advice is to double up on books on subjects that you know you'll struggle with (i.e. get the Kaplan and TPR biochem book if biochem is going to be a weak spot). Good luck!

Hi guys,

I ended up buying the 2015 EK and decided to supplement it w/ 2013 TBR. In addition I'm using Kahn Academy, and all AAMC materials. Been studying a little, and I find that although EK is condensed, which is awesome, condensed might exhibit a loss of impt info needed. For example, I was reading my EK molecular chapt, and they listed the 20 amino acids, however, EK was stating that you should just memorize the gen amino acid structure, and not worry about the 20 R groups. My BR molecular ch (2013 ed) is suggesting to memorize all 20 R groups and their properties (polar, non polar, etc.). In addition, I was answering some quest on Kahn Academy a little while ago, and I remember that one of the questions I got wrong b/c I did not know the specific R group of the specific AA. On the other hand the same EK ch was going over "uncompetitive Inhibitors" (not the same as noncompetitive), and TBR ch did not cover that inhibitor. In summation, I think EK is great b/c it is condensed, they do have great mnemonics and tips, they are covering the subject matter for new MCAT, and they provide practice ques and 30 min tests for each chapter, however, I feel that there is some impt info that is not being highlighted due to the condensing. I would suggest that if you buy EK, which I do not regret doing at all, I do feel that you should supplement it w/ some other in depth material, like maybe your textbooks if you still got them. I also think that this is the problem that we all are going to run into w/ any of the new 2015 prep materials, so basically just find a way to cover your behind for the exam. hope this helps. =)