MCAT 2018 - Lets stay focused on our Long Term Goal!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engr2dr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to start a forum for the pre-medical students (non-trad, post-back, mid-career changers) with a goal to apply for MCAT in 2018. I think it would be a nice place to have like-minded people with similar goal to discuss the difficulties, shortcomings as well as boast and toast about the achievements of intermediate milestone on the long road to Med. school. It would be like a supportive group to make sure we back each other up and help one through hard times "when the going gets tough" and above all, stay on track with the long term goal.

IMO, it would be a realistic goal for someone planning to start taking pre-med pre-req's 2014-2015 (especially doing it part-time).

I just bought a TBR set and starting with self study in General Chem, followed by Org. Chem and then Biology while starting community college classes in English.

How are you all working it out?
:boom::diebanana::bang::help:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm starting post bac pre med courses this fall but I plan to take the MCAT in 2016 :)
How come you're planning on doing it in 2018? I'm doing 2 courses per semester.
Oh and ughhhh I also didn't take any English class in undergrad. What kind of English are you taking at the community college?

Some schools require English. My dream school requires it.

I'm aiming for 2017 or 2018. Still waiting on my #1 choice school to send me an admissions decision for my second degree application.

Starting to review general inorganic chem and general biology for now while I'm not enrolled.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck getting in! That's a good idea to start preparing I don't even know where to start preparing for this fall.....and I need to start volunteering!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm starting post bac pre med courses this fall but I plan to take the MCAT in 2016 :)
How come you're planning on doing it in 2018? I'm doing 2 courses per semester.
Oh and ughhhh I also didn't take any English class in undergrad. What kind of English are you taking at the community college?

Hi lovelybones,

I am planning long term due to several reasons. One is I have a full time job wherein I end up spending way too many hours than I would like. Second, I am planning to change jobs so that sets me back by atleast 6 months. Thirdly there are some personal constraints that is holding me back. Last but not the least, being 9 years out of college doesn't help ;)

I am planning to take an equivalent of English courses as required by the university pre-med in community college namely 1301 & 1302.

Good luck for your prep!
- bookworm

Some schools require English. My dream school requires it.

I'm aiming for 2017 or 2018. Still waiting on my #1 choice school to send me an admissions decision for my second degree application.

Starting to review general inorganic chem and general biology for now while I'm not enrolled.

Hi "Why not MD"

Finally, I found someone who shares the same timeline!!! I have started TBR General Chem. Which books are you using for General Chem.?

Good Luck!
-bookworm.

Good luck getting in! That's a good idea to start preparing I don't even know where to start preparing for this fall.....and I need to start volunteering!

Hi Lovelybones,

Thanks for your kind wishes! I am planning to restart volunteering from next week. You want to start volunteering sooner than later!
Also, what is your background? what is your pre-req. status?
I have heard the recommended order of subj's is Phy & Phy Chem -> Org. Chem -> Bio -> Bio-Chem atleast for TBR. I am following this.
Depending on your background you could switch it around.

Not sure if that helps you any bit... @_@
- bookworm.

I wish you guys were here when I started my timeline. It took me roughly 5 years from inception to matriculation. I start next week, but I will pop in from time to time to see how you guys are doing.

I also did the TBR and started out with Gen Chem. I did Gen Chem 1 -> 2 -> Microbio (Online waste of time) -> OChem 1 -> Physics 1 (review over summer, not necessary) -> OChem 2 -> Principles of Cell & Microbiology -> Anatomy & Physiology -> Biochem

I tried to study for MCAT concurrently with my classes. The only reason being that I didn't have huge blocks of time to dedicate to it (full time career), so I had to use every minute wisely so that I could be prepared on test day.

Don't give up. Take it one day at a time, and before you know it you will be there. Good luck

Last edited:
zoidberg.png

Why not MD?

My timeline from CC graduation to med school starting was 5 years, so I know how you guys feel. Keep your eye on the prize, stay focused, and you'll get there eventually.

I wish you guys were here when I started my timeline. It took me roughly 5 years from inception to matriculation. I start next week, but I will pop in from time to time to see how you guys are doing.

I also did the TBR and started out with Gen Chem. I did Gen Chem 1 -> 2 -> Microbio (Online waste of time) -> OChem 1 -> Physics 1 (review over summer, not necessary) -> OChem 2 -> Principles of Cell & Microbiology -> Anatomy & Physiology -> Biochem

I tried to study for MCAT concurrently with my classes. The only reason being that I didn't have huge blocks of time to dedicate to it (full time career), so I had to use every minute wisely so that I could be prepared on test day.

Don't give up. Take it one day at a time, and before you know it you will be there. Good luck

Thank you Shjanzey! That was inspiring :)

zoidberg.png

Why not MD?

My timeline from CC graduation to med school starting was 5 years, so I know how you guys feel. Keep your eye on the prize, stay focused, and you'll get there eventually.

Thank you Mad Jack....Red Lobster?...
So glad to know that 5 years is a typical avg. timeline for pre-med prep. I am not that much off from reality with my plan.
:bow:

Thank you Mad Jack....Red Lobster?...
So glad to know that 5 years is a typical avg. timeline for pre-med prep. I am not that much off from reality with my plan.
:bow:
It isn't typical. I had two mire years of school to finish and all of the prereqs on top of it, and study for and complete the MCAT, all while working full time. Coursework took me four years, MCAT studying took up part of the last year, and the app cycle took up a year. If you have completed all of the prereqs, once your life is in order, the MCAT itself should be a three month project and no more. A prep course should get you 90% of the way there if you're really rusty, with another month or so post-course to work on your truly weak areas.

Yes Mad Jack, I forsee my situation to be similar considering my full time job sucking up most of my weekdays :( I still have to start with all my pre-reqs. I am just praying some of my international bachelors courses would count... else I just have to take it all (which on one hand would be a good refresher considering I have been out of college for almost a decade now).

I agree it is not typical for "a pre-med student" for say.
Thanks again for sharing your story!:boom:

Members don't see this ad :)
Adcoms will want to see both recent science coursework and science coursework taken at US schools to seriously consider you for admission. Even if you were a domestic student, 9 years out the adcoms will want recent science work at the graduate or undergraduate level. Realistically, your time frame seems reasonable for a person that has to take nearly 2 years worth of courses, study for the MCAT, and apply while working full time, especially considering the fact you aren't starting immediately.

True!

I am restarting volunteering from next week (have 68 hrs from 2010) and have started studying TBR. About enrolling in school, it is slightly tricky. So, I will either join Fall 2014 or Spring 2015. I don't want to rush as I would like to raise my GPA as close to 4.0 as possible at the same time, I just hope that I am not too late. That only time will tell...

:whoa:

Well here's what I'm thinking of for myself:

Fall 2014: Chem I, Physics I, (I'll try Bio I too)
Spring 2015: Chem II, Physics II, (Bio II if last semester was manageable)
Summer 2015: Biochem
Fall 2015: Organic Chem I
Spring 2016: Organic Chem II + MCAT in April + APPLY

I am a recent psych graduate and I don't have a science background, nor have I taken English classes so maybe I'll squeeze that in also don't know... However, the only work I'll be doing is volunteering and getting hospital experience.

What do you guys think?

Hi "Why not MD"

Finally, I found someone who shares the same timeline!!! I have started TBR General Chem. Which books are you using for General Chem.?

Good Luck!
-bookworm.

I'm using Masterton & Hurley Chemistry Principles and Reactions which was my general inorganic chemistry textbook from my undergrad abroad. Also using MCAT review websites and the AMCAS website as syllabi.

Well here's what I'm thinking of for myself:

Fall 2014: Chem I, Physics I, (I'll try Bio I too)
Spring 2015: Chem II, Physics II, (Bio II if last semester was manageable)
Summer 2015: Biochem
Fall 2015: Organic Chem I
Spring 2016: Organic Chem II + MCAT in April + APPLY

I am a recent psych graduate and I don't have a science background, nor have I taken English classes so maybe I'll squeeze that in also don't know... However, the only work I'll be doing is volunteering and getting hospital experience.

What do you guys think?

Hi lovelybones,

I am not an expert in pre-med but I think your plan is pretty rigorous (in a good way). I think it is perfect if you are planning to do it full time.
Good Luck!

-bw.

I'm excited to see this thread!

I am finishing up a master's in epidemiology and have been debating about MD vs PhD for awhile, and finally made up my mind. I work full-time and have a family, so it will be a challenge, as many of you know!

Are most of you taking classes at a community college, or did you decide to do prereqs at a university? How did you decide?

Reactions: 2 users
I'm doing the prereqs at harvard extension but if I wouldn't live in the area then I would have no problem taking them at a CC. Good luck!

I'm starting back up in a CC. Don't have any type of degree at the moment. Wasn't serious about school for the past 3 years, many W's on my transcript. Finally made up my mind to become a doctor. 17 credits a semester. Wish me luck! Good luck everyone. Will be taking the 2017 mcat!

Those are a lot of credits good luck with that! If you don't have a solid reason to believe you'll only be getting A's and some B's maybe, or you're willing to repeat courses, then think twice if it's all worth it! Currently I'm debating between 2 or 3 courses only and I don't need to support myself. But if you have enough determination you'll be good!

My SO is the sole bread winner at the moment. Leaves me to focus completely on my studies and pick up the kids from school. We will see how it goes after the fall. I'm 27, I'm gonna be an old man by the time I'm a doctor, lol. 2 or 3 at a time will take me a while

@pgrated21, I'm 27 as well. I figure that if I graduate medical school by the time I'm 36, I'll be happy.
17 hours is tough - have you been in school as a parent before? I found that it took me a semester to figure out how to balance everything, but once I did, I became incredibly efficient at school! I'm sure you'll do just fine. This past spring I took 16 hours of epidemiology and biostatistics courses (I'm working on a MPH right now), worked 24 hours a week, and kept my son entertained. I didn't get much sleep, but it was worth it!

I'm on a similar schedule:
Fall 14 General Bio 1
Spring 15 General Bio 2
Fall 14 General Chem 1
Spring 15 General Chem 2
Fall 15 Organic Chem 1
Spring 16 Organic Chem 2
Fall 15 Physics 1
Spring 16 Physics 2
Bio Chem 1 (haven't figured out where to fit this in- maybe a summer class?)

then MCAT! :)

@lovelybones orgo 2 and MCAT at the same time??? I have a similar schedule planned but I was going to wait until the next application cycle to devote 3 months of full time study to the MCAT. Do you think my plan is overkill???

I wonder if it is not a good strategy to start studying that far in advance? You aren't going to remember much from what you studied 4 years ago. IMO it would probably be better to start studying within a year before taking the test. You can take the pre-reqs in the meantime.

@Mars41 I have to if I want to matriculate in 2017!
Some post bacc programs last only 3 semesters for example that's why I assume I don't need an extra 3rd year to study. I know it will be different with the new MCAT so I'm fitting in biochem, however I thought it is realistic. It will be tough but I think I'm at a point in my life when I can make all these sacrifices and focus on doing really well. I don't know what schedule are you following? Have you taken some courses yet or what year are you hoping to apply?

@lovelybones Poli sci grad with a recent change of heart. I will be taking my science prereqs 2 courses at a time beginning this semester. 2017 matriculation in a perfect world or 2018 if "life happens".

DO route likely but may consider backdooring md with biomed program if I ace prereqs.

Caribbean as a last resort. I truly do not think the Caribbean is as bad of an option as many SDN members make it out to be. They have been saying the days of Caribbean med schools are numbered for decades but the islands continue to produce successful doctors. It does put you at a huge disadvantage but to those with limited options, I don't think it's the end of the world.

PS. My apologies for the Caribbean rant but someone has to do it :)

I'm on a similar schedule!

Finished 1 year of Gen Chem and Physics.

Fall 2014: Ochem1, Psych1
Winter 2015: Ochem2
Spring 2015: Ochem3
Summer 2015: English3, Bio1
Fall 2015: Bio2, Math1
Winter 2016: Bio3, Math2
Spring 2016: Bio4, Stat1
Taking some high level Bio course while waiting for my visa.

I'm on a similar schedule!

Finished 1 year of Gen Chem and Physics.

Fall 2014: Ochem1, Psych1
Winter 2015: Ochem2
Spring 2015: Ochem3
Summer 2015: English3, Bio1
Fall 2015: Bio2, Math1
Winter 2016: Bio3, Math2
Spring 2016: Bio4, Stat1
Taking some high level Bio course while waiting for my visa.
Do you plan on taking Sociology? Or are you just going to study for it?

I found this great news from our local community college that they can convert my foreign bachelor of engineering to bachelor's in USA by just supplementing a few more additional courses for 1-2 years. I am so excited that this might help me go full throttle with the pre-med. prep. and even reduce my timeline quite a bit.

I am not putting a timeline yet. I still need to let all this information sink in!!!

:banana::highfive::banana:

After some thoughts and inputs from my friend in medical school, I am planning to take Kaplan Prep. classes next year and if I do well, I am thinking of taking MCAT in 2015 or 2016... depending on where I stand.

I will try to finish up my pre-req classes probably after the MCAT as it will take lil more time.

This might save me some years if it works out instead of waiting for 2018.

Fingers crossed!
- bw.

I'm on a similar schedule:
Fall 14 General Bio 1
Spring 15 General Bio 2
Fall 14 General Chem 1
Spring 15 General Chem 2
Fall 15 Organic Chem 1
Spring 16 Organic Chem 2
Fall 15 Physics 1
Spring 16 Physics 2
Bio Chem 1 (haven't figured out where to fit this in- maybe a summer class?)

then MCAT! :)
I am not sure about your background and if you have taken the Prereq's or not but I would think G. Chem 1 and O.Chem 1 would be needed before you move to Bio 2. I am struggling with that so I am reshuffling my schedule.

At my school, the only pre-req for Bio 2 is: Bio 1

I know this varies depending on the school.

I would like to start a forum for the pre-medical students (non-trad, post-back, mid-career changers) with a goal to apply for MCAT in 2018. I think it would be a nice place to have like-minded people with similar goal to discuss the difficulties, shortcomings as well as boast and toast about the achievements of intermediate milestone on the long road to Med. school. It would be like a supportive group to make sure we back each other up and help one through hard times "when the going gets tough" and above all, stay on track with the long term goal.

IMO, it would be a realistic goal for someone planning to start taking pre-med pre-req's 2014-2015 (especiallyso doing it part-time).

I just bought a TBR set and starting with self study in General Chem, followed by Org. Chem and then Biology while starting community college classes in English.

How are you all working it out?
D:boom::diebanana::bang::help:
I am actually scrolling down this furum - so did you matriculated to any school?

I found this great news from our local community college that they can convert my foreign bachelor of engineering to bachelor's in USA by just supplementing a few more additional courses for 1-2 years. I am so excited that this might help me go full throttle with the pre-med. prep. and even reduce my timeline quite a bit.

I am not putting a timeline yet. I still need to let all this information sink in!!!

:banana::highfive::banana:
Hello , i am in tye same situation- so can you tell me did you matriculated to any medical school already ?

Hi everyone! Needed some advice and I thought this would be a good thread to post one since I'm planning on taking the MCAT in 2018 as well.
I'm graduating this May and want to get started on my pre-med reqs for med school ASAP. I am someone who can handle a lot of things at once and have a good amount of volunteer work and clinical experience as well.

I tried to plan out a timeline and this is what it currently looks like:

Summer 2017 --> Calc, Gen Chem I, Gen Chem II
Fall 2017 --> Orgo I, Physics I, and Bio II (Already took Bio I in undergrad and got a B+)
Spring 2018 --> Orgo II, Physics II, Biochem

If I take the MCAT May 2018 will I be all set to start applications around June? My goal is to matriculate Fall 2019.