MCAT 24, cGPA 3.2, science GPA 3.16, Biomed Eng Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Energizer3013

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for some feedback. I've applied this cycle and have received secondaries.I've applied to about 20 MD schools and 14 DO schools (somewhat overkill for MD, I know). I feel I have a better shot at DO schools, thoughts on my chances? Any input would be great. I haven't received any interview invites yet.

MCAT: 24Q
cumulative GPA: 3.22
science GPA: 3.16
Degree: Biomedical Eng
*trend was upwards and I made Dean's list multiple times Junior/Senior year

I've been out of school for about 5 years now. I have 1000+ volunteering as an EMT, I volunteer for other organizations (Big Brothers Big Sisters), etc so my EC's are solid. I've published in multiple peer-reviewed journals (first or second author) and I worked in implants/follow-ups in the field alongside doctors (Electrophysiologists) in clinical research for the past five years.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're at the VERY bottom end of competitive, but I think you'll do alright. Make sure to apply to all the lower tier schools and new schools. And ASAP. People will tell you to wait out the cycle and improve, but don't listen to them. You have a solid shot.

And I wouldn't bother with MD except for maybe your state school.

your ECs are really awesome you have a decent shot at DO, but def a longshot at md.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi again! Thank you so much for the feedback. I've applied to the following DOs, recommendations on which to add?
Campbell
Chicago Midwestern
Des Moines
Edward Bia
Kansas City
Marian
Michigan State
New York College
Ohio University
Rocky Vista
Touro NY
UMDNJ
University of New England
West Virginia

*I'm a NJ resident.

Thanks in advance for additional comments

Alabama COM, PCOMs, LMU DCOM, LECOMs, and WCU. And throw in NSU for their quick secondary.

Last edited:
OP is simply not competetive for MD schools; I agree that he/she is at low end (but possible) for DO schools, especially the newer ones.

You're at the VERY bottom end of competitive, but I think you'll do alright. Make sure to apply to all the lower tier schools and new schools. And ASAP. People will tell you to wait out the cycle and improve, but don't listen to them. You have a solid shot.

And I wouldn't bother with MD except for maybe your state school.

It's interesting how everyone thinks a certain MCAT score will make or break your chances of getting into a school. No offense, but who REALLY cares which school you get into, as long as you get in!!! They still call us doctor, do they not?

There are those of us underdogs that will all quietly pass by and exceed the 'high MCAT'ers' in our future practices as physicians, because we had to work against all the stigma of what you would call sub-par scores.

+1 to the OP, I'm right there with you, and I could not be happier to have been accepted already for next year!

It's interesting how everyone thinks a certain MCAT score will make or break your chances of getting into a school. No offense, but who REALLY cares which school you get into, as long as you get in!!! They still call us doctor, do they not?

There are those of us underdogs that will all quietly pass by and exceed the 'high MCAT'ers' in our future practices as physicians, because we had to work against all the stigma of what you would call sub-par scores.

+1 to the OP, I'm right there with you, and I could not be happier to have been accepted already for next year!

Somebody is bitter o_O

Everyone thinks a certain MCAT score can make or break your chances because it's true. Apply with a 4.0 and a 17L and let me know where you get in. I think OP has a decent shot at DO, but I'm no expert. I'm merely confused by your misplaced rage at people who do well on the MCAT.

I feel as though people are 'bitter' at those of us who may not have done as well, yet still get into medical school. Honestly, there shouldn't be such bias on these threads, because once you get into school then NO ONE CARES what your MCAT score is or was. It's one tiny little score, and it means nothing after you get an acceptance

I feel as though people are 'bitter' at those of us who may not have done as well, yet still get into medical school. Honestly, there shouldn't be such bias on these threads, because once you get into school then NO ONE CARES what your MCAT score is or was. It's one tiny little score, and it means nothing after you get an acceptance

I think you are confused. The only who seems to give a crap about how well other people do is you.

Starting January if you haven't heard anything from any schools yet, I think you need to think about re-taking the MCAT. Also, you should think about taking advantage of the grade replacement for AACOMAs. Take a hard look at your pre-reqs to see which classes you can retake over the spring. If you can raise your grades and get a couple more points on your MCAT, you'll be golden. Also, I agree that you're not competitive for MD schools.

So, start preparing for the worst (cause it can't hurt, right?) and think about retaking pre-reqs and maybe enrolling in an MCAT class. Continue whatever ECs you're doing and prepare ahead of time with your PS. Apply really early and with a broad range of DO schools. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP with your solid ECs and relatively alright stats I would be surprised if you don't get a DO acceptance. Best of luck, stay positive!

If KCUMB retains their current screening level, your numbers as they are will not make the cut there. Overall you have a shot if you move fast on your secondaries.