MCAT: 26L sGPA: 3.25 cGPA: 3.25

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtle11turtle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances for DO schools? I am planning on applying in June 2013 and I'm a resident of California.

MCAT: VR6 PS10 BS10

UNDERGRADUATE:
sGPA: 3.25
cGPA: 3.25

GRADUATE: Masters of Public Health - Health Education
GPA: 3.9

7 yrs - high school tutor
1 yr - student lab assistant in plant pathology and microbiology
300 hrs of volunteer hands-on patient care experience in various departments at a community hospital.
70 hrs ER research (volunteer); still volunteering
300 hrs - internship involving a foster care project at the medical center

Planned, developed and implemented a sexual health education program for at-risk youth.

Invited to peer-reviewed conference for a roundtable presentation for the American Public Health Association.

My biggest concern is my low score for the verbal section (6) and writing score (L). I still have time to take it again, however I was wondering what my chances would be if I applied with the current MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

The 6 could be a red flag fo sho. What were you averaging on timed practice tests?

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake it, you might get in to a few decent DO schools but why not strive for a higher score and apply to some low - mid tier MDs?

Also, you should take some post bacc science classes spring. Would help out your science and cum. GPA immensely.

You should be fine for DO but apply broadly and like right now.

We are similiar numbers wise the only difference is my mcat is a bit more balanced ( 9 9 8) with nearly the same GPAs as you and i received 3 IIs so far. Your ECs are better than mine too. still if you have the time, retake and try to balance your scores out a bit, why not?

Retake it, you might get in to a few decent DO schools but why not strive for a higher score and apply to some low - mid tier MDs?

Also, you should take some post bacc science classes spring. Would help out your science and cum. GPA immensely.
Honestly, I have my mind set on DO schools because I strongly like their approach in teaching medicine. In terms of post bacc science classes, that is something that I have been considering but I don't know which courses to take. Since I was a double major in Neuro/Bio, I have taken A LOT of upper division science courses and I can't afford to do a post bacc program.

We are similiar numbers wise the only difference is my mcat is a bit more balanced ( 9 9 8) with nearly the same GPAs as you and i received 3 IIs so far. Your ECs are better than mine too. still if you have the time, retake and try to balance your scores out a bit, why not?
I agree that it would better to have a more balanced score. Thank you for your input.

Exact MCAT with a 6 in VR with a 3.4 cum. I have two invites so far

Good luck!

Chances excellent, even with that VR. I hope you apply to my school!

What are my chances for DO schools? I am planning on applying in June 2013 and I'm a resident of California.

MCAT: VR6 PS10 BS10

UNDERGRADUATE:
sGPA: 3.25
cGPA: 3.25

GRADUATE: Masters of Public Health - Health Education
GPA: 3.9

7 yrs - high school tutor
1 yr - student lab assistant in plant pathology and microbiology
300 hrs of volunteer hands-on patient care experience in various departments at a community hospital.
70 hrs ER research (volunteer); still volunteering
300 hrs - internship involving a foster care project at the medical center

Planned, developed and implemented a sexual health education program for at-risk youth.

Invited to peer-reviewed conference for a roundtable presentation for the American Public Health Association.

My biggest concern is my low score for the verbal section (6) and writing score (L). I still have time to take it again, however I was wondering what my chances would be if I applied with the current MCAT score?