MCAT 28; cGPA: 3.44; sGPA: 3.29. Chances for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Queen_B

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
the title pretty much says it all. i was wondering if should bother applying to any MD schools. and if yes, which ones should i consider.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
the title pretty much says it all. i was wondering if should bother applying to any MD schools. and if yes, which ones should i consider.

thanks!
With only the information you have given, all I can say is maybe your state public school(s), unless you are in CA.

i'm from CA. any chances with any other school?

Members don't see this ad :)
This will be a real long shot but if you do have strong research or a significant commitment to service there are some schools that MIGHT be worth considering. Again, the odds are pretty long here; if you get a 1-2 II's out of this list consider yourself rather lucky and you will have to absolutely blow away the interview.

VCU
Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Loyola
Creighton
Georgetown
WVU
George Washington
U of Arizona
Rush
Rosalind
Oakland
Quinnipac
Western Michigan
Drexel
Temple
Tufts
Albany

Again, I'll advise the potential of this just being a waste of money is considerable. The average stats of the vast majority of these schools have GPA averages over 3.55 AND MCAT averages at the bare minimum of 29(none of them will have an MCAT AND GPA average close to yours). Most of these schools have 3.6+ and 30+ averages and there are also a number on here with 3.7+ averages. You will need to really apply broadly to MD schools(and it'll cost ALOT of money to do this relative to the chance of this working) to have a shot at finding success.

You will find much more success with DO schools and that is what I would advise. But if you are insistent on trying your luck at MD this is the type of strategy you need to go with.

1500+ hours of research with a paper that should be published by December
200+ hours of shadowing.
currently working as a scribe in the ER (36 hours a week)

I don't think your numbers are competitive for MD schools. You'll have no problem with DO programs, including mine. Since you're in CA, your list should start with AZCOM, TUNCOM, Western (both) and Touro-CA.

thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think your numbers are competitive for MD schools. You'll have no problem with DO programs, including mine. Since you're in CA, your list should start with AZCOM, TUNCOM, Western (both) and Touro-CA.
what DO school do you go to? and if you don't mind sharing your numbers (gpa & mcat) and why you chose DO over MD? Thanks!

1500+ hours of research with a paper that should be published by December
200+ hours of shadowing.
currently working as a scribe in the ER (36 hours a week)
MD is a long shot but you could add MCW to the list from@GrapesofRath above.
Maybe pick a handful.

Reactions: 1 user
MD is a long shot but you could add MCW to the list from@GrapesofRath above.
Maybe pick a handful.

I thought about including MCW but I personally ended up leaving it out because on their website they rather explicitly say the bottom of what is considered competitive for us is a 3.5. Still, gyngyn knows best and you can add it to the list.

I'm of the belief that you either go all in and try applying to most of these schools or you just ignore MD completely in your case. There is no state school or other kind where your odds are clearly the highest which would be a reason to only apply to a short list. There has to be a certain meeting a threshold of "chance of getting into an MD school" to justify worth applying. I don't know if you'll hit that threshold just applying to 8-10 schools.

You're basically in a "hail mary" situation where you just chuck applications everywhere and pray you get someone who grants you a II. Applying to 8-10 schools I don't think is particularly wise. Unless you are in a tight financial situation while I can completely get choosing to spend $0 on MD apps vs $1200( on 8-10 schools), I wouldn't really get spending $1200 vs not spending $3000 and going all in.

Like others have said you are in solid shape for DO programs which I think is everybody including mine's recommendation of where you should focus your effort.

In that case, any suggestions as to which DO schools I should focus more on?

I'm of the belief that you either go all in and try applying to most of these schools or you just ignore MD completely in your case. There is no state school or other kind where your odds are clearly the highest which would be a reason to only apply to a short list. There has to be a certain meeting a threshold of "chance of getting into an MD school" to justify worth applying. I don't know if you'll hit that threshold just applying to 8-10 schools.

You're basically in a "hail mary" situation where you just chuck applications everywhere and pray you get someone who grants you a II. Applying to 8-10 schools I don't think is particularly wise. Unless you are in a tight financial situation while I can completely get choosing to spend $0 on MD apps vs $1200( on 8-10 schools), I wouldn't really get spending $1200 vs not spending $3000 and going all in.

Like others have said you are in solid shape for DO programs which I think is everybody including mine's recommendation of where you should focus your effort.
Although this is the most logical choice, sometimes people just need to feel like they gave it a shot.
I think that's where Op is.
I hate to see a huge amount of fruitless effort, but only OP knows how much rejection she can bear.

Although this is the most logical choice, sometimes people just need to feel like they gave it a shot.
I think that's where Op is.
I hate to see a huge amount of fruitless effort, but only OP knows how much rejection she can bear.

This is very true. Perhaps even the bigger thing to consider is that having to fill out alot of secondaries can start diluting the quality of each one of them.

There are merits for doing each strategy. Just weigh the pros and cons of both and ultimately what you want to get out of your app cycle.

I think after hearing that I probably won't have much success if I apply for MD school, I will redirect my attention to DO schools. What schools do you recommend given my numbers?

Thanks