mcat 28, gpa 3.83, sgpa ~3.75

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oobie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm working to get my application in asap (hopefully tuesday/wednesdayish), and I was wondering my chances. I just got my MCAT scores back, and I got a 28 (10/7/11). I'm thinking that I will apply to some schools (not many, maybe just in-state) and if I get in, great! If not, then I'm planning on retaking the MCAT and reapplying the next year. I still haven't found out what I would like to do during my gap year, but I still have time for that. State is AZ. I was only planning on applying to MD schools. Any suggestions on other places I should apply to?

I have pretty solid EC's (not great):
200 hours volunteering hospice (ongoing. most of this is planned) - started march
40 hours shadowing (some ongoing)
300 hours volunteering at poetry center (ongoing)
respite work with adults with disabilities (1 year, 300 hours)
Tutoring (4 years, maybe 500 hours) - some volunteering, some paid
Research (3 years, >2000 hours + ongoing) --> 2 posters, 1 possible upcoming publication
Triathlon Club
Ballroom Dance Club
Fencing Club (for a year)

Members don't see this ad.

In the case of a low MCAT score, I was told by my pre-med advisor to take another year off, increase your score, and re-apply. This will also give you a chance to gain some solid gap-year activities/employment. If you're set on applying this cycle, then I'd definitely consider adding DO schools in the mix.

In the case of a low MCAT score, I was told by my pre-med advisor to take another year off, increase your score, and re-apply. This will also give you a chance to gain some solid gap-year activities/employment. If you're set on applying this cycle, then I'd definitely consider adding DO schools in the mix.

That's my general plan. But in the rare/weird case that I get in this cycle, I would definitely go. I was mainly planning MD because from doing research, this is more of the philosophy I believe in... and I don't understand too much of OMM. I will still do more research on it (especially because I am thinking of going into primary care). Thanks for the information!

Members don't see this ad :)
Stick with MD.

That's my general plan. But in the rare/weird case that I get in this cycle, I would definitely go. I was mainly planning MD because from doing research, this is more of the philosophy I believe in... and I don't understand too much of OMM. I will still do more research on it (especially because I am thinking of going into primary care). Thanks for the information!
You're very welcome :) I'd just look up the effects of being a second-time applicant. I remember my pre-med advisor saying something about having to get new LORs and not being considered as strong as an applicant if you're re-apply (if you don't get in for this cycle). I don't know how much truth there is to this, though. Good luck!

Easy to say, hard to do with a 28...
His goal lie with MD. If he wants it bad enough, he'll take the proper measures to make it happen which I am confident OP is capable of.

The good thing is that you live in Arizona, which has a variety of fairly non-competitive MD and DO schools. If you can get that MCAT up to a 30, you'd be solid for all of them.

You're very welcome :) I'd just look up the effects of being a second-time applicant. I remember my pre-med advisor saying something about having to get new LORs and not being considered as strong as an applicant if you're re-apply (if you don't get in for this cycle). I don't know how much truth there is to this, though. Good luck!
My parents live in Virginia now, and because I've always lived in Arizona and my parents still pay taxes here, I will be applying in Arizona this year. However, if I don't get in, I will be applying with VA as my probable state of residency. Also, there is an unlikely chance that I will be applying to the same med schools that I will this year, because my app will be much stronger, + a higher MCAT score. I'm confident of that. I never heard that about LORs, but I will check that out. I thought they just need to update it.

The good thing is that you live in Arizona, which has a variety of fairly non-competitive MD and DO schools. If you can get that MCAT up to a 30, you'd be solid for all of them.

I just feel like it's better to apply with my 28 this cycle, because I think it might be too late if I retake this app cycle.

I just feel like it's better to apply with my 28 this cycle, because I think it might be too late if I retake this app cycle.

I think you'll have a shot at Phoenix at the very least. I have an acquaintance (despite the fact that I live on the other side of the country) at Tuscon who likes it, and it wouldn't be a massive reach for you. If you are very eager to get in this year, consider the DO schools. I also know someone at Midwestern who likes it.

Reactions: 1 user
Do some more research to DO schools. My DO school on east coast is a public school that has allo sister schools. In past we were told our stats were very very close and our school got more apps than both MD. The environment is more chill. We learn OMM for tests and boards but few practice it once they graduate, other than OMM the curriculums are the same. I honestly think you'd have a great shot getting in this cycle at one of the DO schools. Do you want to give up an extra year of attending salary to risk reapplying? PM me with any questions.

if you retook the MCAT and got mid 30's i think you would have a really good shot at most MD schools. at this point, a 28 will not get you super far at a lot of MD schools.

check out MSAR for schools that you have a reasonable chance at.

You're scraping the bottom of the barrel with the 28. Your best chances will be with your AZ schools.

TCMC, Quinnipiac and Albany might be doable as well.

Hey everyone,

I'm working to get my application in asap (hopefully tuesday/wednesdayish), and I was wondering my chances. I just got my MCAT scores back, and I got a 28 (10/7/11). I'm thinking that I will apply to some schools (not many, maybe just in-state) and if I get in, great! If not, then I'm planning on retaking the MCAT and reapplying the next year. I still haven't found out what I would like to do during my gap year, but I still have time for that. State is AZ. I was only planning on applying to MD schools. Any suggestions on other places I should apply to?

I have pretty solid EC's (not great):
200 hours volunteering hospice (ongoing. most of this is planned) - started march
40 hours shadowing (some ongoing)
300 hours volunteering at poetry center (ongoing)
respite work with adults with disabilities (1 year, 300 hours)
Tutoring (4 years, maybe 500 hours) - some volunteering, some paid
Research (3 years, >2000 hours + ongoing) --> 2 posters, 1 possible upcoming publication
Triathlon Club
Ballroom Dance Club
Fencing Club (for a year)