MCAT 29->33. 3.8cGPA, 3.7sGPA. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herewego

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm applying this cycle as a reapplicant.

Last year on the MCAT:
10 PS 9 V 10 BS = 29Q

This year:
12 PS 11 V 10 BS= 33Q

cGPA- 3.8
sGPA-3.7

3+ years Research, currently writing publication as co-author, clinical experience shadowing and hospital volunteering, 4 years general volunteering, leadership positions, and some interesting EC/hobbies that I think set me apart.

-IL resident
-Applying both MD and DO this time, first time applying DO

My school list:

.Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin .
.New York Medical College .
.Eastern Virginia Medical School .
St.Louis
MCW
.Drexel University College of Medicine .
.George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci.
. Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici .
.Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien .
.Rush Medical College .
.University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medic .
.Temple University School of Medicine .

DO schools:
CCOM
NYCOM
PCOM

My primaries for both AMCAS and AACOMAS are verified, all the IL schools and some OOS secondaries are completed.

Any general comments, advice, and school advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I'm applying this cycle as a reapplicant.

Last year on the MCAT:
10 PS 9 V 10 BS = 29Q

This year:
12 PS 11 V 10 BS= 33Q

3+ years Research, currently writing publication as co-author, clinical experience shadowing and hospital volunteering, 4 years general volunteering, leadership positions, and some interesting EC/hobbies that I think set me apart.

-IL resident
-Applying both MD and DO this time, first time applying DO

My school list:

.Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin .
.New York Medical College .
.Eastern Virginia Medical School .
St.Louis
MCW
.Drexel University College of Medicine .
.George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci.
. Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici .
.Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien .
.Rush Medical College .
.University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medic .
.Temple University School of Medicine .

DO schools:
CCOM
NYCOM
PCOM

My primaries for both AMCAS and AACOMAS are verified, all the IL schools and some OOS secondaries are completed.

Any general comments, advice, and school advice would be appreciated.

I think you're set. Your GPA and MCAT are above average for almost all the schools you're applying to. Why not add a few reaches for fun?

Is it worth it? I don't know how higher tier schools will feel about reapplicant + 29 original.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it worth it? I don't know how higher tier schools will feel about reapplicant + 29 original.

I think it's worth it, most schools seem to look at the most recent so you'd definitely have a shot at some mid/upper tier schools. I've gotten a couple invites so far from some great schools that definitely wouldn't have considered me after my first attempt (26). Good luck!

yeah man, cross out the 29 and you have a really good app. add some reaches if you want

Your chances of an acceptance are very good. Relax.

Edit. see post below.

Last edited:
Update on my list, any feedback would be appreciated. I decided not to add any more reach schools because money is an issue at the point, so I decided to add a few more DO schools.

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicin
New York Medical College
St.Louis
MCW
Drexel University College of Medicine
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medici
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Scien
Rush Medical College
University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medic
Temple University School of Medicine

DO schools:

CCOM
NYCOM
PCOM
Des Moines
Nova Southeastern
Western

Thats 17 Schools, 6 DO and 11 MD. The MD schools are pretty much complete, and now I have a few DO left to finish (am I late for DO)? It's getting late for MD now right so is it worth adding more schools?

Also have a question about clinical experience. I have about 7-8 months of clinical volunteering at a hospital, about 5 hours a week, and then pretty extensive shadowing for 1-2 years. Is this below average? How much will this hurt me if it is?

To be honest, I think I'm a pretty paranoid about not getting in medical school for the 2nd time..Any comments on the list would be appreciated.

I really don't think you need that many DO's. You can do it if it makes you feel more secure, but...I'd bet money on you getting into an MD program.