MCAT 30, GPA 3.1, is it still worth a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alicebee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This will be my second time applying. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes! Most def!!! Make sure you have lots of volunteer and clinical experience!

If you choose to apply, definitely include some DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
reapply because you never know what will happen. you will need a lot of money if you want to apply broadly. i know i am.

never give up hope.

A lot depends on the rest of the application. Have you talked to your premed adviser at your school? Most of us don't like what they say, but it doesn't hurt to keep what they say in mind. Yes, if you like, think applying to DO schools as well on the side. And if you are taking a year off, think about enhancing that GPA. You can also do SMP in the year off.

This will be my second time applying. thanks

It is a real long shot, but definitely still worth a try.
Apply broadly and include DO schools.
Make sure you submit primaries and secondaries the first second they are available.
Make sure that your PS, letters, activities, etc and your interview are excellent.

AMCAS stats from the last three years tell us that those applying with your numbers had a 34.8% chance of an allopathic school acceptance somewhere. If you also apply through AACOMAS (osteopathic school application service) you will improve your chances enormously.

Look at the post bacc sub forum and read about SMPs.

AMCAS stats from the last three years tell us that those applying with your numbers had a 34.8% chance of an allopathic school acceptance somewhere. If you also apply through AACOMAS (osteopathic school application service) you will improve your chances enormously.

It should also be noted that by-and-large, all of the students who managed to get in with those stats had something else in their application that made them otherwise desirable to med schools- either tons of clinical experience, being a URM, massive amounts of research, or perhaps some other really unique life-experience. If you just have an average application beyond those numbers, your chances are probably significantly below 34.8%. If you're looking at your application and you can't find one specific area that makes you exceptionally interesting or that would give a med school a reason to overlook your stats, I think you would be better served either applying broadly and including a LOT of DO schools (as an allo acceptance would be a pretty big long-shot), or taking a year or two off to take a post-bacc/do an SMP and get that GPA up.

of course it's worth the chance. with a 30 mcat, you have proof that you can handle a medical school curriculum. sure, it doesn't make up for your gpa, but it's still evidence that you can pass med school.

what is the rest of your application looking like? did you do anything to improve yourself during this year (since this is your second time applying?)

my best advice would be to apply very broadly, and be smart about your application choices.... and be early, of course.

speaking of... my list of schools is very ambitious, probably too ambitious... look on my mdapps and give me some advice!

Godspeed! I'm sure you'll get in somewhere! That's a great MCAT score.

Godspeed! I'm sure you'll get in somewhere! That's a great MCAT score.

No offense to the OP, but I'm pretty sure a 30 is average for allopathic. Maybe even below average for next cycle.

No offense to the OP, but I'm pretty sure a 30 is average for allopathic. Maybe even below average for next cycle.

Keep in mind that schools tend to report average ACCEPTED stats, not average MATRICULANT stats, which means they include the stats of all the people they accepted but who turned them down. So I'm pretty sure that the average matriculant MCAT is around a 30, maybe a point or two lower- but then remember that those who get in with those stats have other aspects of their app that makes them compelling.

In any case, a 30 is still a fine score these days, but it may not be high enough to make up for a 3.1 unless there are some pretty amazing ECs about which we don't know yet.

If what that guy said is true, and you have a 35% chance of getting in somewhere, apply apply apply!

Personally, I think your GPA is way too low to be applying to allo med schools. A 3.1 is barely a B average. I'm not hating on you, I'm only at a 3.2 after lots of dicking around my freshman year. I'd highly suggest you raise it up a bit before applying, but that's just me.

If what that guy said is true, and you have a 35% chance of getting in somewhere, apply apply apply!

Again, I feel compelled to point out that the 35% chance is for a RANDOM applicant, not necessarily any applicant in particular like the OP. The 35% who got in must have had something else in their application that made them compelling; if the OP can't look at their application and honestly say, "This, this, and this make me interesting and unique and might give the person who reads my app a reason to want to interview and accept me," then they should probably try and improve their application before applying, as they probably have a much lower than 35% chance of acceptance. Without trying to be harsh, there's a reason why the OP is now re-applying; unless something significant has changed about their application in the last year, re-applying without changing anything seems like a waste of money.

Again, I feel compelled to point out that the 35% chance is for a RANDOM applicant, not necessarily any applicant in particular like the OP. The 35% who got in must have had something else in their application that made them compelling; if the OP can't look at their application and honestly say, "This, this, and this make me interesting and unique and might give the person who reads my app a reason to want to interview and accept me," then they should probably try and improve their application before applying, as they probably have a much lower than 35% chance of acceptance. Without trying to be harsh, there's a reason why the OP is now re-applying; unless something significant has changed about their application in the last year, re-applying without changing anything seems like a waste of money.

Agree with this. Some DO schools and Caribbean schools would probably take the OP with this GPA, but unless he/she is a URM or has done something amazing extracurricularly, then I think the chances are bad to get into an allopathic school in the US right now. The person needs to raise his/her GPA by taking more classes.