MCAT 30 GPA 4.0, should I retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dracula5000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my stats;
-Virginia Resident, with 4.0gpa (both science and overall all at a 4 yr major University) MCAT 30 (11P 10B 9V), plan on graduating Spring 2016 (Bio-major, Chem-minor).
-300+ volunteer hrs at Level 1 Trauma Center (will continue thru graduation)
-50 hrs. United2 Heal Volunteer
-30 hrs. shadowing
-Few hrs volunteering at American Red Cross and Alzheimer’s Association at Richmond
-Research experience first semester by end of May 2015 (will continue into for next full year). Other research experience since 2012 for English class papers which will be prepped for poster and publication.
-Camp Leader for 18 kids (this summer will be 2nd year).
-Teaching Assistant for Cell Biology (1 semester).

Not sure what my chances are for MD, so was wondering should I retake the MCAT?

Thanks SDN

Members don't see this ad.

apply early! apply broadly! and I think you should be okay, unless there were extenuating circumstances and you're absolutely positive you can do significantly better than 30 I don't know if I would roll the dice re-taking it but that's just my two cents

Here are my stats;
-Virginia Resident, with 4.0gpa (both science and overall all at a 4 yr major University) MCAT 30 (11P 10B 9V), plan on graduating Spring 2016 (Bio-major, Chem-minor).
-30 hrs. shadowing
-Few hrs volunteering at American Red Cross and Alzheimer’s Association at Richmond
-Research experience first semester by end of May 2015 (will continue into for next full year). Other research experience since 2012 for English class papers which will be prepped for poster and publication.

Thanks SDN
First, this the allopathic forum, and this should be posted in the pre-medical forum.
Second, your chance at MD with those stats alone are great. You can take the MCAT again if you are SURE you can do better, otherwise, you will get into at least one school with those numbers.

I was taught that anything 30 or above was fine for MD programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are my stats;
-30 hrs. shadowing

Thanks SDN

lol are you trolling?

"Hey guys! I have an awesome application! should i retake the MCAT even though I scored above average and I have a 4.0 gpa?!?!"

Unless you're trying to get in to a top school w/ avg. MCAT acceptance of 34+ or something... you'll be fine. Quit looking for attention. Surprised you didn't ask if you should consider taking more classes and getting As just to further prove that your 4.0 is legitimate or something haha.

OP should be in good shape for MD admissions if he/she applies early and completes his/her secondaries quickly. Not a realistic candidate for top 30 USNWR, but the others are fair game.

lol are you trolling?

"Hey guys! I have an awesome application! should i retake the MCAT even though I scored above average and I have a 4.0 gpa?!?!"

Unless you're trying to get in to a top school w/ avg. MCAT acceptance of 34+ or something... you'll be fine. Quit looking for attention. Surprised you didn't ask if you should consider taking more classes and getting As just to further prove that your 4.0 is legitimate or something haha.

Just because someone has a better application than you and they're asking for advice, it doesn't mean they're "trolling" or "looking for attention." This person just has higher standards than you did for applying to medical school.

OP should be in good shape for MD admissions if he/she applies early and completes his/her secondaries quickly. Not a realistic candidate for top 30 USNWR, but the others are fair game.

Just because someone has a better application than you and they're asking for advice, it doesn't mean they're "trolling" or "looking for attention." This person just has higher standards than you did for applying to medical school.
Sorry, folks it has nothing to do with "trolling".

Its just that from what I've read and heard, my stats are nothing more than cookie cutter, so for that reason I was considering retaking the MCAT. Believe me I have 0% desire to prepare and take the new MCAT, not even sure what score to target?? As for schools, I don't care, as long as I get into one. No way am I trying for top or even middle tier schools (I'm not joking). I prefer to be low tier and hopefully have some social life.

Also, can you guys give me a school list that would fit my stats that I can apply and have a chance at. I really appreciate your feedback.

BTW-I do have the MSAR and IMO it sucks (just another way for AAMC to take your money). I end up calling the schools to get the information I need.

I think re-taking is dependent on your goals. If you want a shot at getting into a USWNR top 20 school then you should strongly consider retaking the MCAT. If you don't care about rankings and just want to be an MD then go ahead and apply.

I think re-taking is dependent on your goals. If you want a shot at getting into a USWNR top 20 school then you should strongly consider retaking the MCAT. If you don't care about rankings and just want to be an MD then go ahead and apply.
Thanks tiedyeddog-will take your advice. I don't care about which school, so long as its in the US and MD.

Thanks tiedyeddog-will take your advice. I don't care about which school, so long as its in the US and MD.
Then apply to all your stats schools, public and private. If you are a texas resident then you have a great shot of getting in somewhere as there are tons of schools. Also, buy an MSAR on amazon and look through it. Apply to schools that have lower MCAT acceptance averages and you should be good.

If you want, apply to some of the USWNR top 20 schools but don't bank on getting into one.

I retook a higher score than that. But I did so because my gpa was not where I wanted it, and because I had never taken even one physics or org chem course prior to taking the test the first time. I had taught myself enough to get a decent score, but after doing the coursework, I wanted a chance to do even better. I did that for me, not for my admission chances. I got into the school I really wanted, and probably would have done so without a high 30s score.

So, if you are vain, like me, and want to risk it... go ahead. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with your score, given the rest of your app.

EDIT: Changing a single stat isn't going to make you less cookie cutter. Stats help get you in the door for interviews, but your personality is what has to win the seat. Worrying less about numbers is a good place to start.

Then apply to all your stats schools, public and private. If you are a texas resident then you have a great shot of getting in somewhere as there are tons of schools. Also, buy an MSAR on amazon and look through it. Apply to schools that have lower MCAT acceptance averages and you should be good.

If you want, apply to some of the USWNR top 20 schools but don't bank on getting into one.
Unfortunately, not a TX resident, I know exactly what you mean. I was born their, but my folks moved to VA when I was young. Unfortunately, there are only 4 schools here and two of them (UVA and Vtech) don't have a chance at.

As for the lower MCAT avg., that's what I was thinking as well. Most are state/regional schools and some SDN folks have stated that I have <1% chance because of my MCAT score and also they are instate heavy (which I know).

BTW- I bought the MSAR in IMO it sucks (this is just another of AAMC burecurocy for making money).

I don't know what you mean by USWNR, could you explain, and if possible give me some schools that would work.
Thanks a bunch.

I may have double posted this not sure-sorry.

Hi All-this is my first time here, so I could use some help with preparing a MD list for this upcoming cycle 2015-2016.
I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate some insight on;
  1. What are my chances for MD school with current stats.
  2. If I have any chance than please help refine my school list. My only wish is to go somewhere south.
Here are my stats;
-30 hrs. shadowing

I know my stats are just cookie cutter, ….nonetheless, hope I get in somewhere.

School list;
Alabama-Birmingham
Arizona-Tucson
Florida International
Florida State-Tallahasse
Central Florida
USF Health Morsani
Indiana Univ
Kansas
Univ. Lousiville
Louisiana State
Cooper
Univ. Oklahoma
Commonwealth
Drexel
EVMS
VCU
Marshall
W. VA
Some TX schools
A&M
Tech-El Paso and Lubbock

I don’t plan on applying to GWU or Georgetown simply because I believe they require or prefer missionary work or other hardships.
I also realize that most if not all OOS only accept a very small percentage of candidates, nonetheless still need to apply broadly as possible.

Appreciate SDN’s folks help with school list. Thanks to All..

The TX schools have a statutory mandate to fill at least 90% of their seats with residents of TX.
Many of the public schools on your list have a strong IS or regional preference (e.g.OK).
Have you bought the MSAR? The last tab has acceptance info.