MCAT 31 to a 29 to a 34

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibrafadi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Summer of 2013 I took the MCAT and got a 31 (12PS 9VR 10BS).
Then this past summer in August I took it again. However this time I was very stressed due to a recent loss of a family member and choked, ending up with a 29 (9PS 8VR 12BS).
I studied all summer and knew I could have done better so I signed up for another test 2 weeks after that one, so I rewrote without knowing my score.
I ended up with a 34 (12PS 9VR 13BS).

So my question is, would med schools frown upon this? I'm Canadian so I'm not familiar with the process of US med schools. Also would a 9VR hinder my chances of getting accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of schools tend to look at your most recent scores, and some look at trends. While you have a non-linear trend, you could subtly talk about why in your statements. The 9 is okay enough to get you into at least 1 school. Some schools may just take you because of your overall 34.

(Assuming everything else in your application is average).

Thanks for the advice! I have one more question: Would a 4.0 GPA paired with that MCAT score plus slightly above average ECs be good enough for any top-tier schools?

I believe it should be okay but only an okay. I believe top tier schools have an avg MCAT of 36? Not sure.

A lot of times schools like to make sure your verbal is good enough so you don't struggle with the copious amounts of reading.