MCAT: 32, GPA 3.8, What are my chances?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steth121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
32 MCAT
3.8 GPA
Volunteering, shadow, intern, research heavy.
Even though I didn't go out of the country to help ( I notice so many students doing that these days...)- what are my chances for these schools? My advisor told me today that I'm basically another Caucasian male applying to med school and the chances of getting into today's med school is like "applying for a scholarship." (sorta a slap across the face, but what do you all think?!)
Any advice helps, even if it's not good news! :)
1. UIC (Chicago)
2. Florida State
3. Florida University
4. Miami Miller School of Medicine
5. Medical College of Georgia
6. Loyola
7. Rush
8. SIU
2. 9.--
10. University of Iowa
3. 11. Univ of Kansas
12. Univ of Kentucky
13. Michigan State
14. Univ. of Michigan
15. St. Louis University School of Medicine ???? :)
16. Univ of Washington
17. Univ of Wisconsin
18. Medical College of Wisconsin :)
19. Northwestern
p.s I'm an Illinois state res. But went to Iowa.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have nice numbers, but it's hard to judge the adequacy of your ECs if you don't list hours and years of involvement.

You need to do some research on your school list by looking though an MSAR with attention to OOS accdeptance rate. And if you don't livbe south of I-80, take SIU off the list. UWashington mainly takes OOSers from surrounding states without a med school, so I'd remove that one. For Florida schools, your best shot would be at UMiami and UCF.

Out of country humanitarian trips aren't nearly as important as consistent, weekly involvement in a local nonmedical/noncampus community service. An interesting hobby or avocation, sport, or artiostic endeavor can also give "a hook" to your application that makes you interesting and more likely to be chosen for an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
i dont kno what your advisor meant by that statement. you have decent chance based on your stats. the quality and duration of your EC's will matter of course b/c they'll help differentiate you from other candidates. I would apply more broadly and also look at other schools using the MSAR. The MSAR is like the bible for applying to medical school and its surprising that not more people have heard of it.

32 MCAT
3.8 GPA
Even though I didn’t go out of the country to help ( I notice so many students doing that these days...)- what are my chances for these schools? My advisor told me today that I’m basically another Caucasian male applying to med school and the chances of getting into today’s med school is like “applying for a scholarship.” (sorta a slap across the face, but what do you all think?!)
Any advice helps, even if it’s not good news! :)
1. UIC (Chicago)
2. Florida State
3. Florida University
6. Loyola
7. Rush
8. SIU
2. 9.--
10. University of Iowa
3. 11. Univ of Kansas
12. Univ of Kentucky
13. Michigan State
14. Univ. of Michigan
16. Univ of Washington
17. Univ of Wisconsin
19. Northwestern
p.s I’m an Illinois state res. But went to Iowa.

Dude,

You will be fine!!! My roommate just got into an MD program with a 3.2 GPA/30 MCAT. His EC included surfing and drinking. LOL I am not kidding. Yes, he is white.:eek:

Tell your adviser he needs to get another job.

Dude,

You will be fine!!! My roommate just got into an MD program with a 3.2 GPA/30 MCAT. His EC included surfing and drinking. LOL I am not kidding. Yes, he is white.:eek:

Tell your adviser he needs to get another job.

He must have been surfing and drinking at prestigious places though, also I'm sure he has 200+ hrs and years of consistency.

He must have been surfing and drinking at prestigious places though, also I'm sure he has 200+ hrs and years of consistency.

Neh, he is just a nice guy with a good head on his shoulder. Very well rounded. He has something that a lot of 3.8 GPA/ 45 Mcat folks lack, common sense. He will be a really good physician.

Neh, he is just a nice guy with a good head on his shoulder. Very well rounded. He has something that a lot of 3.8 GPA/ 45 Mcat folks lack, common sense. He will be a really good physician.

Sorry to reply off topic, but your avatar is freakin' me out haha... I don't appreciate that! (I drive a honda!)

32 MCAT
3.8 GPA
Even though I didn’t go out of the country to help ( I notice so many students doing that these days...)- what are my chances for these schools? My advisor told me today that I’m basically another Caucasian male applying to med school and the chances of getting into today’s med school is like “applying for a scholarship.” (sorta a slap across the face, but what do you all think?!)
Any advice helps, even if it’s not good news! :)
1. UIC (Chicago)
2. Florida State
3. Florida University
6. Loyola
7. Rush
8. SIU
2. 9.--
10. University of Iowa
3. 11. Univ of Kansas
12. Univ of Kentucky
13. Michigan State
14. Univ. of Michigan
16. Univ of Washington
17. Univ of Wisconsin
19. Northwestern
p.s I’m an Illinois state res. But went to Iowa.

You have a 0.111% chance of getting accepted to FSU. They don't take any out of state applicants. UF and Miami heavily favor FL residents as well so be weary about those schools. I go to UF currently so I know the deal...

Sorry to reply off topic, but your avatar is freakin' me out haha... I don't appreciate that! (I drive a honda!)

LOL I hope its not offensive. I have a Eclipse Syder GT. :laugh:

Catalystik,

Your statement about out of country humanitarian trip is absurd. That shows compassion and dedication to helping your fellow men. Following a surgeon all day long will never give you that experience.

Catalystik,

Your statement about out of country humanitarian trip is absurd. That shows compassion and dedication to helping your fellow men.
I agree that a humanitarian service trip abroad shows altruism. I don't, however, believe it is the only way one can demonstrate this quality. And many don't have the funds to engage in such trips. Should those who can't afford to go be made to feel that doing community service for folks at home is in some way an inferior activy? I don't think so.

Hey all,

Your replies have been very helpful. I now have my MSAR book next to my bed.

I have done 200+ hours of volunteering at two hospitals over the past 4 years.

Research in physiology lab since 08.

Interning over the summer since 08.

And shadowing since 07.

Pretty hefty, but I love it. When do I tell the schools about all these things? I'm a newb like many of us first year applicants, and AMCAS doesn't open till May 1st...

Also...in my PS (I've started writing), I mention that: "With over 200 hours of volunteering an 120 hours of interning, yada yada, I recognize the need for a good bed side manner..." and more on...should I NOT explicitly say the hours? Too forward? or will I not have another chance to tell them how much I have done?

Hey all,

Your replies have been very helpful. I now have my MSAR book next to my bed.

I have done 200+ hours of volunteering at two hospitals over the past 4 years.

Research in physiology lab since 08.

Interning over the summer since 08.

And shadowing since 07.

Pretty hefty, but I love it. When do I tell the schools about all these things? I'm a newb like many of us first year applicants, and AMCAS doesn't open till May 1st...

Also...in my PS (I've started writing), I mention that: "With over 200 hours of volunteering an 120 hours of interning, yada yada, I recognize the need for a good bed side manner..." and more on...should I NOT explicitly say the hours? Too forward? or will I not have another chance to tell them how much I have done?

I would say leave the hours out of the PS as the extent of your participation in an activity will be included in the "activities" section.

MCG takes 1-2 OOS applicants/year.

You will list all your activities in the Experiences section with a start and end date, then average hours per week. At the end of the narrative description, give a grand total for your hours.