MCAT 3rd time retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntonFreeman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will be submitting my AMCAS this year and I will be also doing an SMP at EVMS during my app year. My cumulative GPA is 3.0 and BCPM is 2.9. My undergrad GPA was 2.6 (154 units) and I have about 74 postbac units and my postbac gpa is 3.8. I have taken MCAT twice and my recent score is 31 (PS 10 VR 10 BS 11). I had to take it twice because of my first score was in mid 20's with 6 on verbal. Because my gpa is really low, I am thinking about sitting down for 3rd time at the end of July MCAT. But I know its pretty risky to take a balanced score. Should I give it a try for mid 30's MCAT? My EC's are pretty average and I will be applying to 25 MD schools. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

+1

You would be competitive at a DO school. High MCAT, but low GPA. with grade replacement, you may even be able to bring that GPA up a lot by retaking some of your lowest classes. You just need a DO letter for most schools.

I would not re-take a 31 unless you have done something radical to improve your situation and are POSITIVE you can score a 35+. Really bad idea. Especially if your score goes DOWN. :(

dsoz

Members don't see this ad :)
Why only MD schools?

+1

You would be competitive at a DO school. High MCAT, but low GPA. with grade replacement, you may even be able to bring that GPA up a lot by retaking some of your lowest classes. You just need a DO letter for most schools.

I would not re-take a 31 unless you have done something radical to improve your situation and are POSITIVE you can score a 35+. Really bad idea. Especially if your score goes DOWN. :(

dsoz

It's because program that has pretty good track record of taking a lot of smp students. I will probably apply to DO some schools if this cycle doesn't work out. I did retake some classes so AACOMAS gpa should be little higher.

You would have to apply a year later after the smp if you want optional chances from it. Given that the sgpa is below 3.0, I would be cautious on where to apply. Also why waste a year applying to DO school if this doesn't pan out? Much more rational to apply at least to give osteopathic schools.

Hi,

I will be submitting my AMCAS this year and I will be also doing an SMP at EVMS during my app year. My cumulative GPA is 3.0 and BCPM is 2.9. My undergrad GPA was 2.6 (154 units) and I have about 74 postbac units and my postbac gpa is 3.8. I have taken MCAT twice and my recent score is 31 (PS 10 VR 10 BS 11). I had to take it twice because of my first score was in mid 20's with 6 on verbal. Because my gpa is really low, I am thinking about sitting down for 3rd time at the end of July MCAT. But I know its pretty risky to take a balanced score. Should I give it a try for mid 30's MCAT? My EC's are pretty average and I will be applying to 25 MD schools. Thanks in advance

I think even if you get in the mid-30's you'll be a tough sell to MD schools due to the low GPA. I think applying to MD schools without an SMP would be a waste in your situation. I also think that unless you're scoring much higher on practice tests (nothing below 35, no section less than 10) then it isn't worth retaking. If you're dead set on MD, then don't waste money applying DO. Get yourself in order to do an SMP and go from there.

+1

dsoz

I would agree here. DO is looking good with your stats. Do you really think you can get better than a 31 on a retake? I've seen people retake and get a lower score and that downward trend can be negative in the eyes of admins. I'd take the 31 and apply DO, even grade replacement if you feel it's necessary. But good job on increasing your score that much on the MCAT.