MCAT: 514 GPA: 3.9

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mcatbabe95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I scored a 124 on the cars section and a 130 on the other three sections, putting me in the 92nd percentile. Will this be viewed very negatively in the eyes of admissions committees? Is this something I am expected to explain during an interview? Assuming I have typical research, volunteering, and clinical experience, which NYC schools do I have a shot at?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I scored a 124 on the cars section and a 130 on the other three sections, putting me in the 92nd percentile. Will this be viewed very negatively in the eyes of admissions committees? Is this something I am expected to explain during an interview? Assuming I have typical research, volunteering, and clinical experience, which NYC schools do I have a shot at?

Albert Einstein
City University of New York
Columbia
Icahn at Mount Sinai
New York University
Weill Cornell Medicine
State University of New York Downstate

All these schools matriculants had MCAT scores anywhere from 30-40 (according to MSAR). Based on your stats I would say you are competitive at all of them. The 124 definitely won't help you, but I don't think based on that alone you will get screened out by any schools... (except maybe Columbia or Icahn, they may have a minimum 125 requirement).

I would be prepared to talk about it in interviews (as well as any other potential red flags), but there is no guarantee you will be asked about it.

You should try posting this in the "What are my chances" thread. There are much wiser and experienced SDNers there (including some adcoms).

P.S. nice job on the test, 130s in all the other sections is quite impressive!

Members don't see this ad :)
Though these schools aren't in NYC you should also apply to SUNY Buffalo and SUNY upstate, if you're a NYS resident, they take in a lot of instates and don't screen out applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Albert Einstein
City University of New York
Columbia
Icahn at Mount Sinai
New York University
Weill Cornell Medicine
State University of New York Downstate

All these schools matriculants had MCAT scores anywhere from 30-40 (according to MSAR). Based on your stats I would say you are competitive at all of them. The 124 definitely won't help you, but I don't think based on that alone you will get screened out by any schools... (except maybe Columbia or Icahn, they may have a minimum 125 requirement).

I would be prepared to talk about it in interviews (as well as any other potential red flags), but there is no guarantee you will be asked about it.

You should try posting this in the "What are my chances" thread. There are much wiser and experienced SDNers there (including some adcoms).

P.S. nice job on the test, 130s in all the other sections is quite impressive!
Hey, thanks! I'm new to SDN so I'm still trying to navigate the site (just saw your response)