MCAT a year from now, Science GPA low.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Nonchalant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm new to SDN and I'm glad I found it given the wealth of info on here.

So let's cut to the chase, I'm a junior at my college and my science gpa is 3.17 and my cumulative is 3.2 right now. I know to be competitive I need at least a sGPA of 3.5. I intend to take the MCAT Early June 2017 and apply to DO and MD programs in July.

My plan:
  • Study my butt off for the MCAT.
  • Get A's in this Fall and Spring.
  • Shadow a couple Drs
If I get A's in all my upcoming (6) science courses, I'll have a 3.41 sGPA, which is still low.
The lowest grades I received were 2 C's in my academic career. One in Psychology which I retook and got an 'A' and the other was Anatomy and Physiology 1, which I didn't retake. Other than that, I've had a ton of B's which is why my gpa is so low.

I'm hoping to do well on the MCAT and I've been working in a pharmacy as a technician for 3 years now.
Writing out this thread just discouraged me lol. :\ How do strengthen my profile?

Thank you and God Bless

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello guys, I'm new to SDN and I'm glad I found it given the wealth of info on here.

So let's cut to the chase, I'm a junior at my college and my science gpa is 3.17 and my cumulative is 3.2 right now. I know to be competitive I need at least a sGPA of 3.5. I intend to take the MCAT Early June 2017 and apply to DO and MD programs in July.

My plan:
  • Shadow a couple Drs
If I get A's in all my upcoming (6) science courses, I'll have a 3.41 sGPA, which is still low.
The lowest grades I received were 2 C's in my academic career. One in Psychology which I retook and got an 'A' and the other was Anatomy and Physiology 1, which I didn't retake. Other than that, I've had a ton of B's which is why my gpa is so low.

I'm hoping to do well on the MCAT and I've been working in a pharmacy as a technician for 3 years now.
Writing out this thread just discouraged me lol. :\ How do strengthen my profile?

Thank you and God Bless
DO schools have grade replacement so that will help with the GPA. My advice would be to learn the way you study successfully and hone those skills over this next school year. Then apply them to the mcat.

Last edited:

My plan:
  • Shadow a couple Drs

Thank you and God Bless

I am in the exact same position and would like help. Are you a rising junior or senior?

Members don't see this ad :)
I like your plan!!! You got this!!!! Good Luck!! I know you can bring up your GPA

^^^ Now that we have the "You can do it" post out of the way, ill give some real advice......focus on your grades, make sure you receive the highest marks possible. Saying and doing are two different things. Second the MCAT is tough you need to really study and understand. Third apply strategically. If you have a 3.2 or 3.3 sGPA unless you have the FAP program from AAMC don't apply MD its a waste of money depending on your state of residence (some state schools are more forgiving). DO will be a very viable option depending on MCAT score.....you need an MCAT score then come back

^^^ Now that we have the "You can do it" post out of the way, ill give some real advice......focus on your grades, make sure you receive the highest marks possible. Saying and doing are two different things. Second the MCAT is tough you need to really study and understand. Third apply strategically. If you have a 3.2 or 3.3 sGPA unless you have the FAP program from AAMC don't apply MD its a waste of money depending on your state of residence (some state schools are more forgiving). DO will be a very viable option depending on MCAT score.....you need an MCAT score then come back
I'll study day and night during school. Do you think I should try for MD if I have a 3.4? I'm in Illinois.

I mean if you're really in need of the MD then yea go for it but honestly with anything less than a 3.4/3.5 and with those GPAs you'll need at least a 510 on the MCAT (preferably a 512 really). DO programs may better serve you and your money can be spent on a better app cycle through the AACOMAS but thats just me

I mean if you're really in need of the MD then yea go for it but honestly with anything less than a 3.4/3.5 and with those GPAs you'll need at least a 510 on the MCAT (preferably a 512 really). DO programs may better serve you and your money can be spent on a better app cycle through the AACOMAS but thats just me
Thank you, I'll look into DO schools and get down to business. Should I add more to my ECs?

I honestly think GPA and MCAT gets you in the door ECs get the without opening the door you can't get the letter

I honestly think GPA and MCAT gets you in the door ECs get the without opening the door you can't get the letter

That makes sense though, doesn't it? If the measures you use to determine if someone can pass the classes in med school are the GPA and MCAT, then you would want to use those first. Then after you have a pool of people who you think are capable of passing, then you look at the ones that bring unique experiences and personal qualities that will make the class better. If you did it the other way around, you would have a bunch of very cool and accomplished people, half of which you may be unsure of academically.

Caveat: I'm not speaking to the efficacy of using GPA/MCAT to determine med school success, only that I feel that's what they're used for.

What are your ECs? Shadowing a couple of docs isn't going to cut it. You said you were new to SDN. Spend a few days just reading threads in the pre allo forum. Especially the WAMC threads. You are a very long way from applying based on your post. Oh and your plan to "reviewing previous classes for the MCAT" might be a big mistake too. Most people devote months to studying for the MCAT. I could go on with other weak parts of your plan but like I said, spend some time reading here.
All is not lost but you have to be realistic.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

What are your ECs? Shadowing a couple of docs isn't going to cut it. You said you were new to SDN. Spend a few days just reading threads in the pre allo forum. Especially the WAMC threads. You are a very long way from applying based on your post. Oh and your plan to "reviewing previous classes for the MCAT" might be a big mistake too. Most people devote months to studying for the MCAT. I could go on with other weak parts of your plan but like I said, spend some time reading here.
All is not lost but you have to be realistic.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
Reviewing new classes meaning I'm spending my summer studying full time for the MCAT by studying gen chem, bio, physics, and others. The classes I have already taken.
I plan on studying full time for 3 months, August, December, and May. Between those months, I will have classes, work, and some EC's. I will study for the MCAT at least once or twice a week (all day) during FALL and SPRING.

Ace everything from now on.
Significant service ECs will also help.
Chances for MD will be best with your state MD school.

My plan:
  • Shadow a couple Drs

Thank you and God Bless

I'm ITT to comment on this OP.

"Reviewing classes" for the MCAT is no good. Do not sell yourself short here. Buy the review books and use those. Reviewing old course textbooks will prepare you for old courses. Reviewing the subjects with MCAT books will prepare you for the MCAT.

Reviewing new classes meaning I'm spending my summer studying full time for the MCAT by studying gen chem, bio, physics, and others. The classes I have already taken.
I plan on studying full time for 3 months, August, December, and May. Between those months, I will have classes, work, and some EC's. I will study for the MCAT at least once or twice a week (all day) during FALL and SPRING.

My plan:
  • Shadow a couple Drs

Thank you and God Bless

I had a similar sGPA and a higher cGPA, similar situation in which I only had one grade lower than a B which was a C- in differential equations and I ended up getting a 509 on the MCAT. I got rejected everywhere, MD and DO schools, interviewed at 1 DO school. You got a lot of good advice here but I just wanted to highlight that you are quite far away from a successful application. I would stick to your current plan and reevaluate next summer to see if you are actually ready to apply.

Another note, I worked for my first two years as an undergrad and consider it to be huge mistake. Quitting my job opened up a lot of free time for me which allowed me to get my grades up into the 3.7+ range and opened up a lot more possibilities in getting ECs, particularly clinical experience and just doing things I enjoyed. I was working because I needed the money but after some life experiences and econ classes I learned that even though debt is tough to swallow, it is worth it in some situations and the opportunity cost for you is too high at this point in your life to spend a significant amount of time working as a pharm tech.

my grammar here is atrocious but I don't feel like fixing it

I'm ITT to comment on this OP.

"Reviewing classes" for the MCAT is no good. Do not sell yourself short here. Buy the review books and use those. Reviewing old course textbooks will prepare you for old courses. Reviewing the subjects with MCAT books will prepare you for the MCAT.
Yes sir. I have the kaplan mcat 7 book set, using those

I had a similar sGPA and a higher cGPA, similar situation in which I only had one grade lower than a B which was a C- in differential equations and I ended up getting a 509 on the MCAT. I got rejected everywhere, MD and DO schools, interviewed at 1 DO school. You got a lot of good advice here but I just wanted to highlight that you are quite far away from a successful application. I would stick to your current plan and reevaluate next summer to see if you are actually ready to apply.

Another note, I worked for my first two years as an undergrad and consider it to be huge mistake. Quitting my job opened up a lot of free time for me which allowed me to get my grades up into the 3.7+ range and opened up a lot more possibilities in getting ECs, particularly clinical experience and just doing things I enjoyed. I was working because I needed the money but after some life experiences and econ classes I learned that even though debt is tough to swallow, it is worth it in some situations and the opportunity cost for you is too high at this point in your life to spend a significant amount of time working as a pharm tech.

my grammar here is atrocious but I don't feel like fixing it
You're right. My biggest mistake was putting my job first during undergrad as well. Now, I have to pay the price.