MCAT Advice for September

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJhooper123

PGY ortho
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am currently scheduled for the September 9th MCAT. I am seriously doubting whether I should take it or now. My goal is to apply mostly DO with select MD programs. I really want to score at least a 510 on this thing.

To add further background.... I have a very low undergrad GPA (3.02) with an upward trend (playing 4 years of D1 bball might not have been the best choice for my GPA). I understand I am in a hole here.

I have been studying for the MCAT x 3-4 months now while working 40 hours per week as a medical scribe (which I am still doing). Here are my practice tests thus far.

1. 488 (Kaplan)
2. 499 (Kaplan)
3. 499 (TPR)
4. 494 (TPR) - this one hurt
5. 496 (TPR)
6. EK ~63% total
7. 496 (TPR) - this one hurt too
8. 500 (Kaplan)
9. 504 (NS)
10. 503 (NS) - Today

Questions packs: ~70-80% on all subjects.

Looking for advice. I understand I am a long shot candidate at this point. I really want/need to do well on this thing!

Members don't see this ad.

I think 70-80% puts you in range of a 510. Take the AAMC full lengths and then see. TPR is very deflated

Reactions: 1 user
I am considering doing that but I don't want to waste the aamc test if I were to hold off.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I understand what you mean... although you won't know if you're ready until you try an AAMC exam.
If you've already been studying for 3/4 months, do you think you would have the gas to keep up studying until January? My advice is, don't go into the test if you aren't confident. I don't think anyone feels entirely ready when it comes to this test (the sheer amount of information is enormous) but if you don't feel confident then you may end up regretting it.
On the other hand, 10 full lengths is quite enough practice. I'm not sure how much more you can gain over four more months while working full time.
Ultimately it is up to you, friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the insight - Given my low GPA I feel the need to approach cautiously. I can definitely trudge through and make it to the January test... but I don't know how much I can lift my score.

It is getting frustrating... I feel like I am "stuck in the mud" with my current scores. For all of my practice exams my highest section has been "127". I can't get anything over that.

I think 70-80% puts you in range of a 510. Take the AAMC full lengths and then see. TPR is very deflated

70-80% on qpacks, not section bank..

@OP continue grinding. You still have a little under 3 weeks left. Still a lot of time to improve especially if you have small gaps in content knowledge.
You got this! I'm taking it on Sep 9th too and my scores have been pretty similar:

NS 1: 125/125/126/127
NS 3: 127/x/126/126
NS 2: 126/x/126/127
EK 1 c/p section: 56% (made silly mistakes, easily shoulda got >60%); doing EK 1 bis section tomm

Know what your weaknesses are and target them. I know I'm terrible at ochem for c/p and Genetics for bis. So I will be targeting these extra hard for the last 2-3 weeks.

I plan on taking NS 5, EK 4, AAMC unscored, AAMC scored.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
70-80% on qpacks, not section bank..

@OP continue grinding. You still have a little under 3 weeks left. Still a lot of time to improve especially if you have small gaps in content knowledge.
You got this! I'm taking it on Sep 9th too and my scores have been pretty similar:

NS 1: 125/125/126/127
NS 3: 127/x/126/126
NS 2: 126/x/126/127
EK 1 c/p: 56% (made silly mistakes, easily shoulda got >60%)

Know what your weaknesses are and target them. I know I'm terrible at ochem for c/p and Genetics for bis. So I will be targeting these extra hard for the last 2-3 weeks.

I plan on taking NS 5, EK 4, AAMC unscored, AAMC scored.

Good luck :)

Thank you. I plan on taking aamc later this week. Pending the results... I may hold off on taking the test until January. Btw... my section bank scores for were CP=62% and BS=66%. I found the section bank fairly difficult.

Are you also shooting ~510?

Thank you. I plan on taking aamc later this week. Pending the results... I may hold off on taking the test until January. Btw... my section bank scores for were CP=62% and BS=66%. I found the section bank fairly difficult.

Are you also shooting ~510?

I'm shooting for at least a 508

Hello everyone.

I am currently scheduled for the September 9th MCAT. I am seriously doubting whether I should take it or now. My goal is to apply mostly DO with select MD programs. I really want to score at least a 510 on this thing.

To add further background.... I have a very low undergrad GPA (3.02) with an upward trend (playing 4 years of D1 bball might not have been the best choice for my GPA). I understand I am in a hole here.

I have been studying for the MCAT x 3-4 months now while working 40 hours per week as a medical scribe (which I am still doing). Here are my practice tests thus far.

1. 488 (Kaplan)
2. 499 (Kaplan)
3. 499 (TPR)
4. 494 (TPR) - this one hurt
5. 496 (TPR)
6. EK ~63% total
7. 496 (TPR) - this one hurt too
8. 500 (Kaplan)
9. 504 (NS)
10. 503 (NS) - Today

Questions packs: ~70-80% on all subjects.

Looking for advice. I understand I am a long shot candidate at this point. I really want/need to do well on this thing!
How did your MCAT go? Did your section bank performance translate to a good score? Which of the practice test companies that you used best matched your real exam?

MCAT didn't go well - 504 (126, 122, 127, 129) - going to retake May 2017. I scored 507 and 508 on my AAMC FL's beforehand. I've got a serious CARS issue which I need to work through.

I would say that BS and PS section banks were pretty comparable for my actual MCAT.

Most representative tests = 1)AAMC 2)NS 3)EK 4)TPR 5)Kaplan

MCAT didn't go well - 504 (126, 122, 127, 129) - going to retake May 2017. I scored 507 and 508 on my AAMC FL's beforehand. I've got a serious CARS issue which I need to work through.

I would say that BS and PS section banks were pretty comparable for my actual MCAT.

Most representative tests = 1)AAMC 2)NS 3)EK 4)TPR 5)Kaplan

Thank you. I am sorry to hear you are not happy with the score. A 504 is above average, no? Is that not good enough to get in anywhere, or is just due to the low verbal? The AAMC site said this new exam was supposed to help change things. Is that not true?

Thank you. I am sorry to hear you are not happy with the score. A 504 is above average, no? Is that not good enough to get in anywhere, or is just due to the low verbal? The AAMC site said this new exam was supposed to help change things. Is that not true?

A 504 is ok for DO school - however having 1 section below a 124 (for DO schools) is almost certain rejection