MCAT Advice, take before 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

constantreverie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
Let me tell you about my situation. I will eventually take the MCAT. I would like to score in the low 40's. Especially because I want a very high score, I want to avoid the 2015 version of the MCAT at all cost. It is new territory, so it is much harder to prepare for.

My question is whether me being able to take it by then is realistic or not.
I work full time.
As of January of 2014, I should have completed College Biology I and II, College Chemistry I, and Genetics.
That will be it. I will have no experience with Organic Chemistry, and the only experience with Physics being from years ago, in Jr. High.

Here is what I was thinking of doing if I went for a 2014 MCAT goal.
I will be required to work January-Early May. During this time I would be doing
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898 (SN2ed's)
I would not do classes during this time, because work and SN2ed's program is enough as it is.
During May-July I would enroll in a course. Right now the Altius summer immersion course looks appealing. After this, I would take the MCAT in the fall. During this Altius course, I should be able to take off work.

A little more about me, I still have a ways to go for my Volunteering, Shadowing, and Research. I probably have around 2 years, (I should be able to finish it faster than this though, I might be able to do it in a year.)

Seeing my situation, do you think I should
A. Try to take the MCAT in 2014.I should be able to finish my degree by end of 2015.
B. Take it in late 2015
C. Since I could "take my time" with school and the extra-curricular, I could also go for a fall of 2016. This way I might know a little more about the test.

Like I said, I do not have much of a science background.
Thanks in advanced for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

First off, why do you perceive 40+ as a necessary score?

Second, I'm not sure how you can achieve that with half your gen chem completed, no organic and a surface understanding of classical physics. Also, depends on how in depth to genetics/anatomy your gen bio goes.

It's doable, but you will have to self-teach yourself a lot of material. If nothing else, that would make your time in those classes later on significantly easier, haha.

The vast majority of people take all of their pre-reqs, study furiously on their own, maybe take a prep course, and still rarely break the upper 30s, let alone lower 40s. When I began studying, I was also aiming for the 40s. I dramatically altered my expectations. I think it's nearly impossible to get a score in the lower 40s without studying the topics in depth in class. I think the difficulty of this test is often underestimated by premeds used to excelling academically even with minimal effort. With that said, nothing's impossible, and if a score of 40+ in 2014 with no prereqs is your goal, you should certainly go for it.

You can also take the MCAT in 2014 and retake it again in 2015 if necessary. The new test will have topics added, but will still test the basic sciences, so it's not like your studying for the 2014 exam will go to waste.

One step at a time! Ace your classes, that will prepare you for the MCAT. You will know if you're ready for the real MCAT when you take the full-length tests and take your mean score.

You don't need to avoid anything, just do it one step at a time and take it when you're ready.