MCAT and working full time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimmmmyi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone...is there anyone here that is planning on taking the MCAT or took the MCAT while working full-time at the same time? What was your study schedule like and do you have any tips for those that do not have the luxury of dedicating their whole summer to the MCAT? Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Did it last summer, didn't work out too well for the old score. Throw summer school into the mix and it was a nightmare; not enough time to study.

I'm working again this summer full-time, but no summer school thankfully. Hopefully I should have enough time evenings and weekends to study. I'd love to be able to devote all my time to studying, but something's gotta pay the rent. :oops:

I'm sure some people can pull it off easily, but I'm one of those people who takes twice as long to learn half as much. :p

I just took the MCAT while working fulltime at a lab. I got up early and got to work by 8am. I'd study for an hour in an emty lab where I would not be disturbed and then for another 1/2 hour to an hour duing lunch. I tried to be home by 5:30 or 5:45pm and would either cook or work-out. Then I'd spend another 2-3 hours studying at a coffeeshop or a library. I spent most of my time on weekends studying.

Some days and weeks are better than others, don't be too harsh on yourself if you miss one day. Just make sure to get back on track the next day. Make yourself a schedule listing things to cover every week up until the MCAT. Give yourself an extra week or two just to catch up (I tend to be too ambitious when making schedules...) and allow yourself at least 2 full weeks for just taking practice tests.

In the beginnning it was hard for me to be able to focus at night after work. I was simply so exhausted. That's when I started the morning studying which helped soo much! Also, I built up stamina, and believe it or not, I actually miss studying right now! I feel like I should be heading off to a coffeeshop after work :)

Also, I unsubscribed from cable TV so there were fewer distractions.

Good luck!

One more thing: You don't have to be miserable just because you're studying for the MCAT. If you're a social person, study at coffeeshops! (until you take practice tests, then go to a more quiet library).

You'd be surprised by how many people are studying out there - so you don't have to feel like a loner. Besides, you'd be surprised by how many phone numbers I got... Who would have thought that the MCAT actually helped my dating life... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
hi. if you have the luxury of working at a lab with a chill, non-psychotic PI, there's always the time in between PCR's and Western blots. otherwise, last year, i spent about 2 "real studying" hours after work plus another 2 hours of practice passages. on sat, i took a diagnostic (paper test then) and go over answers, and sunday was rest. did this for about 3 months. ended up with 31 =\

retrospectively, i could've put in some more time before and after work, but i'd argue that it's not necessarily the hours spent studying, it's how much material you get through.

Read/answered 2 practice verbal passages every morning while eating breakfast.

Worked 9-6; stayed late at my desk from 6-10pm 3-4 times / week. I found this best, b/c at work I was already in work mode and would just pull out my study materials. If I went home, I knew I'd be distracted by other things.

Sundays - practice exam with friends at barnes & noble / panera bread (free wifi to correct exams :) )

One more thing: You don't have to be miserable just because you're studying for the MCAT. If you're a social person, study at coffeeshops! (until you take practice tests, then go to a more quiet library).

You'd be surprised by how many people are studying out there - so you don't have to feel like a loner. Besides, you'd be surprised by how many phone numbers I got... Who would have thought that the MCAT actually helped my dating life... :D

barnes and noble/starbucks is great with an ipod when reviewing material. i can't stay in the library for a long time, even when i was in college. i need "structured chaos" where i can see people, trees, cars. it's strange but i can focus more that way. whenever i studied in the library i usually get bored, restless, and at times very cold (yea, i did bring a sweater); in addition there isn't any coffee or tasty snacks available in the library. fortunately my work situation is ideal. i'm a respiratory therapist working 6pm to 6am friday and saturday only until mcats are over with so i have an ample amount to study during the week.

Hey everyone...is there anyone here that is planning on taking the MCAT or took the MCAT while working full-time at the same time? What was your study schedule like and do you have any tips for those that do not have the luxury of dedicating their whole summer to the MCAT? Thanks!!!

I worked 50 hours a week, full time school, and TRIED to study for MCAT. I feel pretty good. Get scores in 2 days.:clap: I can study at work, so that is when I got my MCAT studying in.

Working 40+ a week and studying for the MCAT is tough, no doubt. I studied at home, I find the coffee shops filled with too many distractions (see previous post about phone #s!). Try to do the reading earlier in the evening, and save the practice passages/questions for later, when you start tiring.

Just be prepared to give up about two months of your social life, especially weekends. Guess it's good practice for life during med school. Good luck :)