MCAT before biology prerequisites, nontraditional student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted602749

I am, I guess, what is called a working professional, that decided to change the career.

Academic "achievements"
-I have a BS degree in Chemistry from Drexel (2007), Undergraduate cGPA 3.08, sGPA 3.11 Most of the courses taken are Science.
-I was double majoring in Comp Sci and Chem. Dropper Com Sci to minor because I started to slowly hate it and unfortunately never completed Comp Sci minor.
-I lack 1 year of Biology prerequisite courses

Plan A (failed)
-Since I lack Bio prereqs I have applied to Temple BCMS post-baccalaureate program
-This post-bacc program offers conditional matriculation to Temple Med. School (my first choice) upon achieving 3.5GPA in the program and 33 MCAT scores upon its completion.

I got rejected from the program due to probably: no MCAT score, low GPA, weak LOR from chem professor (probably).
Because of the rejection, I am switch to Plan B and preparing for direct application into Med School programs myself, while still keeping an eye on available post-baccalaureate programs and such.
Plan B:
-
Take the Biology prerequisites from local Universities/colleges.
-Study for MCAT 2014 myself (trying to avoid taking 2015...)
-Take MCAT before 2015 and apply to schools in 2015.

I am currently registered for a Summer Bio 110 class at a local university. The timing of class is not the greatest as I will have to take off early twice a week for it from work.

Plan C:
Plan B is not perfect because I still have low GPA and A-cing two Biology prereqs will not improve it too much.
In addition, I am not certain that I will be able to take the next prerequisite any time soon due to the conflicting schedules with my main job.

I am considering instead taking Exam-Crackers MCAT prep course. It unfortunately conflicts (class time and dates) with Bio 110 class and can not be taken together. Thus, I was thinking what if:
-I drop the Bio class and register for MCAT prep. course instead.
-Study very hard and get a good MCAT score.
-Upon completion of said course I apply to Post-Baccalaureate programs again:

If I go with plan B:
Pros:
-Complete the first necessary Biology Prereq by July 2014
-Apply to Schools Directly in 2015 (if stars align!)
Cons:
-Most likely will have to study for 2015 MCAT.
-GPA still remains low-ish
-Might not be able to complete the second Bio in sequence due to scheduling issues or might have to take it in another school altogether.
-Will not be able to take EC MCAT prep course as the last one is offered June-Aug.

If I go with Plan C:
Pros:
-Get MCAT score before end of 2014 with possibility to retake again
-Demonstrate to Post-Bacc programs that I have what it takes to do well in Med. School.
-Use MCAT score to leverage a sit in other Post-bacc programs and offset my low GPA
-Apply again to Temple BCMS post-bacc program with, perhaps, higher chances of acceptance now (and matriculate in 2016 without gap year)

Cons:
-Can not take first Bio prereq in 2014.
-Studying for MCAT without Bio prereq....
-Pay for Post-Bacc program

I have lurked on these forums for a while as well as looking in other places. My question is: Is it possible and/or advised to take MCAT before Bio prerequisites?

P.S
Not sure if this makes any difference but perhaps it does for any experienced SDNer to make a suggestion.
Experience:

-7.5 years working in the pharmaceutical industry (including co-ops while in school)
-1 year in Contract Analytical Laboratory
-Currently working full time in a pharmaceutical company in a bio-pharmaceutical department: antibody formulation development.
-In addition since (Nov 2012) I have a part-time job in local robotics company (autonomous aerial vehicles, assembly, design etc.)
Personal status:
-
-Recently married
-No kids
-No significant savings (not including 401K and pension plan)
-Wife is taking prereqs and deciding between Nursing and Medical
-Wife also works but her income is ¼ of what I am making at two jobs now.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a low GPA you can't take risks with the MCAT, and you can't dictate the schedule. Search SDN for "low GPA" for tips. Find the postbac forum for options.

Man don't mess with the MCAT. I took it when I was lacking some pre-requ classes and I still regret it. I ended up taking it 3 times all told. Save yourself some pain and embarrassment and wait until you have all the pre-requisites, as well as adequate study time to prepare.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your practice AAMC test averages will let you know if you're ready, don't expect a miracle if your average is below what you need

Your practice AAMC test averages will let you know if you're ready, don't expect a miracle if your average is below what you need

I am not planning on taking the actual test now, sorry if it was not clear. I was thinking of doing the prep. course now before taking the Bio prereqs. and fully understand that MCAT is not your SAT or GRE type test, it is much harder and much more serious.
I was planning on studying for it myself later after the Bio prerequisite. Taking EC prep course is just a way to establish a schedule and be more consistent instead of doing it by myself
The plan is to to apply to post-baccs or to MS programs anyway. Just thought getting good MCAT score would make me a better candidate for these programs..
But it seems that people advise against it.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a classic example of poor choice making. Why would you take a high stakes, career defining exam without proper preparation?

I have lurked on these forums for a while as well as looking in other places. My question is: Is it possible and/or advised to take MCAT before Bio prerequisites?

Reactions: 1 user
I have a Biology BS and MS. The more biology you expose yourself to the greater chance that will encounter it on the MCAT. That being said many sections are not always dependent on having prior knowledge, and in many instances you have to rely on making inferences from information you have never seen. Like Goro said, theres quite a bit riding on this test, taking the pre-reqs will only help your chances.

Taking the prep class would be beneficial for building a foundation, but it comes with a price tag; plus by the time you take the MCAT is it still going to be fresh?

Thank you for the reply. My main concern and the idea behind trying to take the test prior to 2014 is the extra sections and lack of information/experience/feedback or even decent prep material for the new 2015 test. I suspect I have more chances studying and getting better score on 2014 test than on 2015. Looks like I have a bit more researching to do.

To add a different experience, I took the mcat without the bio prerequisites and did ok. The qualifier for me is that I took bio coursework that gave me some background without actually being required by schools (a&p and biochemistry). If you have the opportunity to take these courses, or already took them as part of your degree, I would say that you could probably do well without actually taking freshman level biology.

I was able to get what I needed with a 12 year lapse in general chemistry (which I didn't really learn the first time either), however I would NOT recommend this to anyone, even an enemy. It was a horrible idea to think I could relearn an entire textbook in a few weeks, what ended up happening was pure luck in that my physics was strong enough that I got what I needed in that section. Don't gamble like this, you can't afford it.

A very long overdue update: I did take MCAT without bio prereqs, and Bio score on MCAT was ironically my highest among the three. If only I got similar scores on all portions... Physical science and VR (the lowest of the three) is what killed me :( Retaking in Jan2016

I wonder whether some one can conquer the MCAT without taking the pre-reqs. While this may be hard, if some one really can do this, does he/she still need to take those pre-reqs before starting the application? Or this might be negotiable with the schools.

Taking MCAT without MAJORITY of prereqs is a very unwise idea. As I said, I only lacked Bio and tbh it is not the most difficult subject to study if you have taken Chem and Orgo. If I did not have Chem and Physics prereqs as well that would be a whole different story. As others suggested don't fool around with it. Take the prereqs before you do MCAT. You will have to take them later anyway. I doubt you can negotiate your way around it. Rules are rules.