MCAT Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dayman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've applied to med school before and ended up on a couple of waitlists. I talked to the head of a med school admissions board who looked through my application and the consensus was too many applicants plus an average profile and a relatively weak MCAT 30 (12/9/9) was my downfall. I am currently a teacher and in grad school, while prepping to take the MCAT again this January. I have many prereqs (clinical and nonclinical volunteering, lead college clubs, research experience, shadowing etc.), yet I am afraid that I am simply not doing enough to get in as a reapp. All of my ECs mostly came prior to my last cycle, and I am afraid that med schools will look through that, and it is hard to fully prep for the MCAT while working full time. Is there anything I can/should be doing now (relatively short of time) that can really help set me apart without adding to my grueling time schedule?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've applied to med school before and ended up on a couple of waitlists. I talked to the head of a med school admissions board who looked through my application and the consensus was too many applicants plus an average profile and a relatively weak MCAT 30 (12/8/8) was my downfall. I am currently a teacher and in grad school, while prepping to take the MCAT again this January. I have many prereqs (clinical and nonclinical volunteering, lead college clubs, research experience, shadowing etc.), yet I am afraid that I am simply not doing enough to get in as a reapp. All of my ECs mostly came prior to my last cycle, and I am afraid that med schools will look through that, and it is hard to fully prep for the MCAT while working full time. Is there anything I can/should be doing now (relatively short of time) that can really help set me apart without adding to my grueling time schedule?

8 in bio is low. Why not also try Do? 12 8 8 is 28 btw

I've applied to med school before and ended up on a couple of waitlists. I talked to the head of a med school admissions board who looked through my application and the consensus was too many applicants plus an average profile and a relatively weak MCAT 30 (12/8/8) was my downfall. I am currently a teacher and in grad school, while prepping to take the MCAT again this January. I have many prereqs (clinical and nonclinical volunteering, lead college clubs, research experience, shadowing etc.), yet I am afraid that I am simply not doing enough to get in as a reapp. All of my ECs mostly came prior to my last cycle, and I am afraid that med schools will look through that, and it is hard to fully prep for the MCAT while working full time. Is there anything I can/should be doing now (relatively short of time) that can really help set me apart without adding to my grueling time schedule?
What does your GPA look like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoops that was a typo. I meant 12/9/9. And my GPA was 3.65 total 3.60 sci
How did you messup two sections? OK?

Well either way I would apply DO also if I was you to ensure you get into medical school this cycle.

How many interview did you get? Did you ask those schools for feedback as to why you were put on the waitlist? The head of an admissions board is just one individual. Different admins look for different things, and I've come to realize that "fit" is very important as well.

I agree with @Heplayer92 -- "fit" seems to be incredibly important in both getting an interview and gaining acceptance to an institution. When selecting schools, make sure that you are a good fit for the school. You said you were teaching now, so maybe apply to schools with a medical education pathway and emphasise your interest in that program in the secondary essays if given a chance. I think that showing a school how you can specifically see yourself there and add to the school as a whole will help make up for perhaps lower stats.

How many interview did you get? Did you ask those schools for feedback as to why you were put on the waitlist? The head of an admissions board is just one individual. Different admins look for different things, and I've come to realize that "fit" is very important as well.

I got 3 interviews. I reached out to those schools but received similar: many applicants, few seats response.