MCAT breaks and timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narla_hotep

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you're actually at the testing center taking the MCAT, how do the breaks work? Do they try to synchronize everyone at the end of each 90 minute session to take the same 10 min break or can you take the break whenever you're done with that section? And, on a similar note, if you finish a section 10-15 minutes early can you just click the "end section" button and take a break/move on to the next one? Or do you have to wait for everyone else to finish the section?

Members don't see this ad.

Once you finish your section you can go take your break. I recommend for the 10 minute breaks you get out, go bathroom, drink a bit, eat something quick and go right back in. There can sometimes be a line to get back in, and you don't want any extra stress if you can avoid it. Once you're back in and ready, just relax until the break is over and you can start the next section.

Reactions: 1 user
When you're actually at the testing center taking the MCAT, how do the breaks work? Do they try to synchronize everyone at the end of each 90 minute session to take the same 10 min break or can you take the break whenever you're done with that section? And, on a similar note, if you finish a section 10-15 minutes early can you just click the "end section" button and take a break/move on to the next one? Or do you have to wait for everyone else to finish the section?

Everyone starts the test at a different time, depending mostly on when you check in, so everyone takes their breaks separately. Everyone also finishes the sections at different times, so everyone will have a different schedule. Once you click the "end section" button, you will have your 10 minute break. I mostly just sat there unless I needed to use the bathroom. There's a whole check out/check in process that is fairly time consuming if you're at a busy center.

Members don't see this ad :)
The worst part is when people start finishing a section and the room noise escalates. I was fortunate in being one f the first people done with the first section, and it helped.

This is where earplugs came in super handy. I didn't even hear any of the shuffling or leaving the room. Also, try to find a computer that isn't by the door if they let you pick your seat!

Let's say you finish a section early, can you just not hit the end section button and get like 10 extra minutes for break?

Let's say you finish a section early, can you just not hit the end section button and get like 10 extra minutes for break?

No, if you click the end section early, the 10 minute break timer would start and you won’t get extra break time. If you finished early and want extra break, I would just sit there and take a break at your desk until the timer runs out.

No, if you click the end section early, the 10 minute break timer would start and you won’t get extra break time. If you finished early and want extra break, I would just sit there and take a break at your desk until the timer runs out.
Well I'm saying if you don't hit it and just let it run out on its own couldn't you technically get a few extra minutes?