MCAT Burn Out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am retaking the MCAT next Thursday, and have pretty much been studying since May. I would take a day off once a week, and I took 2 weeks off after my first attempt on August 1st. Since I started studying for the retake, I haven't really given myself many breaks. I took the day off yesterday but studied at night.

I was planning on studying all day today (going over some concepts I need to know better and end up missing easy questions because of), but it's as if everything is going in one ear and out the other. No matter how hard I try I cannot seem to focus at all, but I am weary of taking the day off since the test is in less than a week.

Would it be better to keep forcing myself to study today (with a short break every hour) or to just relax and take the whole day off?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
*she ;) My picture is just House because, well, I'm obsessed with him.
lol sorry default mode for me on the internet is to just assume everyone is a male. if i were you, since you're feeling comfortable that you've fixed your weak areas, i'd just do light studying up until thursday to build your confidence (take some days off), it's basically just a mental game now. i've been burnt out too while studying, nothing helps more than just replenishing your mind with something you enjoy and coming back refreshed without the baggage. good luck you'll be fine.

Keep your head up and just keep pushing through! Maybe take short breaks throughout. I'm taking on Thursday as well and I can see how hard it is to think about taking an entire day off.. which you should only do so if you're feeling completely overwhelmed. I'm just telling myself that this is the final push and I don't want to have any regrets about not studying more those last couple days so it's time to just put in the work now.

Keep your head up and just keep pushing through! Maybe take short breaks throughout. I'm taking on Thursday as well and I can see how hard it is to think about taking an entire day off.. which you should only do so if you're feeling completely overwhelmed. I'm just telling myself that this is the final push and I don't want to have any regrets about not studying more those last couple days so it's time to just put in the work now.
trust me, in the last week as ****ty as it feels to not study, nothing's ****tier than going into the real test completely burnt out.

trust me, in the last week as ****ty as it feels to not study, nothing's ****tier than going into the real test completely burnt out.

definitely true. Forgot to mention that I'd still recommend taking the day before off to wind down. I'm not recommending that anyone push themselves when they're already burned out--just to stay motivated and put in however much work you feel like you can handle. I think it will definitely vary from person to person on what works best for you to go into the test with the right mind set.

i
I am retaking the MCAT next Thursday, and have pretty much been studying since May. I would take a day off once a week, and I took 2 weeks off after my first attempt on August 1st. Since I started studying for the retake, I haven't really given myself many breaks. I took the day off yesterday but studied at night.

I was planning on studying all day today (going over some concepts I need to know better and end up missing easy questions because of), but it's as if everything is going in one ear and out the other. No matter how hard I try I cannot seem to focus at all, but I am weary of taking the day off since the test is in less than a week.

Would it be better to keep forcing myself to study today (with a short break every hour) or to just relax and take the whole day off?

ive been studying since late april. i took off 2.5 weeks after my first exam...now getting ready for retake in october. good luck thursday!

It just sucks because while I know there are things I need to improve on, there will ALWAYS be something left to improve on for the MCAT. Which is frustrating for most pre-med students out there that are super Type A perfectionists ;)

Take today and tomorrow off, but keep the MCAT in the back of your head (don't be completely oblivious of your responsibilities to towards the exam).

Here is what I suggest:

1. Rejuvenate yourself by taking the rest of the evening off; as well as Monday (in its entirety!)
2. Get back on the MCAT train on Tuesday.
3. Review end of chapter notes (your most breviloquent notes). DO NOT write anything down, simply read your notes.
4. Solve a Verbal passage (or two! :))
5. Take a 30-60minute break - light reading, listen to some music - really any activity that will allow you some down time to reflect.
6. Write a FL.

Yes, the MCAT is partially a content based test but that's not all it is. You don't have to know everything about every topic, so please don't strive for that type of perfection. What's more is - you know this! You've literally studied for TWO MCATs you know that analyzing a passage is equally as important as mastering content!

I will tell you right now that you will most likely not score a 45 next Thursday. What's great about that is - you don't need to. 90%+ percentile and you're home free. Don't strive for perfection, but strive for the asymptote of perfection (which in this case is 90%+).

Have no fear of perfection for you will never reach it - Salvador Dali

I hope that helps :D

Im pretty sure you dont need to do much content review anymore (at least, I didnt for my retake). Just spend a few hours on doing practice questions everyday (work on timing especially since that was your problem according to another post of urs).