MCAT CARS Challenges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CornellMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As I go through my preparation for the MCAT CARS section, I am scoring below the median 125. Clearly, something is not working out correctly, and I am in need of advice in how to approach this section. Am currently taking the Kaplan course (in person); I have read their book about the section and I try to implement their techniques while tackling the passage. For what it's worth, I have only done two independent full-length sections (90 minutes each) and a full-length 7 hour exam. My scores for the three times were 122, 125, and 123 (todays). Obviously, I can't expect too much from an internet forum on a problem that is highly individualistic in nature. Do I simply just need to practice more? Should I take a few sections in a relaxed manner without time constraints? Each time, I am finishing with about 7 minutes to spare, so I feel like I am nervously rushing through the passages without getting the finer detail points.

Sorry for the long post, I am just looking for tips on how to tackle what is the most difficult section for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

As I go through my preparation for the MCAT CARS section, I am scoring below the median 125. Clearly, something is not working out correctly, and I am in need of advice in how to approach this section. Am currently taking the Kaplan course (in person); I have read their book about the section and I try to implement their techniques while tackling the passage. For what it's worth, I have only done two independent full-length sections (90 minutes each) and a full-length 7 hour exam. My scores for the three times were 122, 125, and 123 (todays). Obviously, I can't expect too much from an internet forum on a problem that is highly individualistic in nature. Do I simply just need to practice more? Should I take a few sections in a relaxed manner without time constraints? Each time, I am finishing with about 7 minutes to spare, so I feel like I am nervously rushing through the passages without getting the finer detail points.

Sorry for the long post, I am just looking for tips on how to tackle what is the most difficult section for me.

Kaplan verbal sections by and large aren't representative of the real thing.

Take some old AAMC practice tests(the verbal is still very realistic practice) and see what happens. If you find subpar scores on those you need to change your approach. There are tons and tons of threads about this. Read it and come back with any specific questions not covered from them.

Reactions: 1 user
^ Exactly.

I did poorly on most CARS passages that weren't AAMC's. Got no less than 85% on their practice passages, then scored 97th percentile on the real thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say more practice and go over your practice problems/tests until you understand why you got them wrong.

You need to figure out the type of questions the aamc likes to ask and the reasoning behind it. That's the only real way to significantly improve. To do this you must analyze as many aamc verbal sections as possible and go over the questions and why they are wrong or right many many times Till you identify trends and can form a strategy to effectively attack them

The real mcat is very good at making 2 answer choices sound right. But there are ALWAYS 2 choices that are wrong through very clear reasons and patterns. If you can consistently identify them you can at least get a decent score in the real thing. That's how you have to look at this if you find you really are struggling