MCAT cost the second time around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salim271

Patience is tough. :/
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but I'm considering retaking the MCAT in Jan and I was wondering if it costed more, someone told me it did but it was a secondary source that I don't exactly trust.

Members don't see this ad.

This may be a stupid question, but I'm considering retaking the MCAT in Jan and I was wondering if it costed more, someone told me it did but it was a secondary source that I don't exactly trust.

They may raise the price from year to year, so it could cost more next year, but there is not a separate price for second-time testers.

They may raise the price from year to year, so it could cost more next year, but there is not a separate price for second-time testers.

Thank you, this is what happens when parents tell your parents things and they get it all confused. Someone told my mom that it costs 1000+ to retake MCAT, lol. I think they included the cost of the MCAT class in that estimate or something.

Members don't see this ad :)

Why are you retaking if I may ask? You got a 31 N dude...you are good to go don't risk it no matter what was your AAMC average. You can have a bad day and actually do worse which would be a terrible thing. I'm sure you know these things already but I'm just saying.

I think it's a really tough call if you're going to retake the MCAT, you scored a 31N with at least a 10 in everything. If your GPA is 3.8+ and you want to go to your state school, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your application would be competitive at many places if you have solid volunteering, ECs, and research. It all depends on where you want to go.

However if you're in the 3.6-3.7 range I think it's a viable option that you retake considering where your practice average was. If you are confident you will definitely will improve your score the second time around I say go for it. There have been many people on this forum who have went from 25 to 36, stuff like that. No reason why you can't get a decent score jump :).

Thank you, this is what happens when parents tell your parents things and they get it all confused. Someone told my mom that it costs 1000+ to retake MCAT, lol. I think they included the cost of the MCAT class in that estimate or something.

If you include the cost of your time, then yes, it could easily cost over $1,000.

If you include the cost of your time, then yes, it could easily cost over $1,000.

Hes asking if it costs more the second time you take it compared to the first take.

Time will not suddenly cost more once you begin studying for a retake.

I think it's a really tough call if you're going to retake the MCAT, you scored a 31N with at least a 10 in everything. If your GPA is 3.8+ and you want to go to your state school, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your application would be competitive at many places if you have solid volunteering, ECs, and research. It all depends on where you want to go.

However if you're in the 3.6-3.7 range I think it's a viable option that you retake considering where your practice average was. If you are confident you will definitely will improve your score the second time around I say go for it. There have been many people on this forum who have went from 25 to 36, stuff like that. No reason why you can't get a decent score jump :).

Yeah I got 31N with 10, 10, 11. My GPA is 3.86, and my ECs are alright. I know I'll be fine to go to my state school but I dont really like my state school lol... also my practice scores were 31, 37, 36, 35 on AAMC 8-11, which were the only ones I bought. I feel like if I retake it I can do better, I'm also taking a gap year to finish my major and minor, and shore up my ECs. I can take a light summer schedule next semester and study for about another two months and do well. If I had gotten 33 or 34 I think it would be a much easier choice to just keep the score. Still not sure why I did bad lol.