mcat course suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pioneer22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have an upcoming advisor meeting for next semester (spring 2017), and I am a freshman, and I was looking for advice on my schedule.

For my current schedule, I am sure of the following (12 credit hours):
1) Biology II and lab
2) Chemistry II and lab
3) an English class
4) intro medical foundations (only 1 credit hour)

I want to take 2/3 of the following classes for MCAT prep (2/3 pushes me to 18 credit hours next semester)
a) Intro Psychology
b) Intro Sociology: Diversity and Health emphasis
c) Intro Anthropology

I think Psych and Soc would be the most applicable for MCAT....would anthro be more applicable than soc?

What do you think for the 2/3 selection?

Members don't see this ad.

This is completely dependent on the type of thinker you are. I did not take a single class in pysch in my life and scored 131 on the section. IMHO, look to see if your school has a scientific methods, epidemiology/biostat courses and take them. Honestly study in the classes to get A's and gain a good understanding of the subject matter. You dont have to take a college courses to do well on the MCAT. Your courses will have little to no bearing on the MCAT itself. Buy a set of quality books designed for the mcat and compare them to your text book and test that you take in college. There will be overlap in content but the design of the test is enough to force you to practice in mcat mode exclusively to score well on the MCAT. There may be the gifted few in us, or the rigor of your undergrad instution may allow you to use it as prep (probably is true where the UGs usually score well in the test MIT, CAL, Princeton) but for the most part your undergraduate classes are useless to prep you for the mcat. Take it with a grain of salt this is one peron's opinion.

Last edited:
As an anthro major, I can confidently tell you that a general psych class will better prepare you for the MCAT than any anthro course (though I did feel like my anthro courses helped me do well on CARS). A sociology class may help you with some of the ethical questions that will come up during a med school interview. That being said, you will have probably forgotten most of the course by the time you get to the MCAT anyways, so it probably won't matter much. The materials you use to study for this section of the MCAT are more important than a class.

Reactions: 1 user