About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

MCAT-DO Chances

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by traumaRN, Apr 13, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. traumaRN

traumaRN

Pre-Medical

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi guys, I was looking for some advice from those of you with knowlege of what a realistic MCAT score for DO acceptance in my situation would be. Also any info regarding MD would also be appreciated

-3.5 cGPA 3.7sGPA that has been trending upward for two years.
    -Somewhat worried about the fact that out of high school I performed poorly in my freshman year before realizing that I had a passion for healtchare and attended nursing school.
    -I am a trauma ICU RN in a large level 1 trauma center. I have been doing this for 3 years, working full time overnights. Prior to becoming an RN I was a patient transporter for 2 years, so five years of patient care under my belt.
    -Some volunteer experience, Big brother Big sister organization and as a teachers aid in elementary classrooms.
    -For the last 2 1/2 years I have been working overnights in the ICU (36hrs/week) and attending classes for my pre-medical degree during the day.
    -I am not schedule to take MCAT until late July, so my application will not be complete until late August.
    Just curious as to what those of you would suggest as a realistic MCAT goal to gain acceptance? Truly appreciate all of the information provided!
  2. Catalystik

Catalystik Herd Protection SDN Advisor

Physician Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member
    For DO, 26+. For MD, it depends on whether you have a lenient state school, but for across-the-board decent odds based on historical data, a 3.5/32 gave All Applicants a 59% chance of success. I'd expect your chances to be better with the same numbers due to the high BCPM GPA and recent upward grade trend. (See
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888650 for MD outcomes with other MCAT scores.)
  3. OrganicDOc2BE

OrganicDOc2BE

Unless you're getting straight A's in your pre-reqs, you should cut your ICU hours and focus on this. It's a commitment they want to see. Your MCAT goal should be 27-28, but you'll likely get in with a 24 and up given no red flags. Good luck :luck:
  4. traumaRN

traumaRN

Pre-Medical
    Thank you, I appreciate the advice from both of you, and ironically yes i'm going part time in the icu for a couple months to study.