MCAT-DO Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

traumaRN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I was looking for some advice from those of you with knowlege of what a realistic MCAT score for DO acceptance in my situation would be. Also any info regarding MD would also be appreciated

-3.5 cGPA 3.7sGPA that has been trending upward for two years.
-Somewhat worried about the fact that out of high school I performed poorly in my freshman year before realizing that I had a passion for healtchare and attended nursing school.
-I am a trauma ICU RN in a large level 1 trauma center. I have been doing this for 3 years, working full time overnights. Prior to becoming an RN I was a patient transporter for 2 years, so five years of patient care under my belt.
-Some volunteer experience, Big brother Big sister organization and as a teachers aid in elementary classrooms.
-For the last 2 1/2 years I have been working overnights in the ICU (36hrs/week) and attending classes for my pre-medical degree during the day.
-I am not schedule to take MCAT until late July, so my application will not be complete until late August.
Just curious as to what those of you would suggest as a realistic MCAT goal to gain acceptance? Truly appreciate all of the information provided!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I was looking for some advice from those of you with knowlege of what a realistic MCAT score for DO acceptance in my situation would be. Also any info regarding MD would also be appreciated

-Somewhat worried about the fact that out of high school I performed poorly in my freshman year before realizing that I had a passion for healtchare and attended nursing school.
-I am a trauma ICU RN in a large level 1 trauma center. I have been doing this for 3 years, working full time overnights. Prior to becoming an RN I was a patient transporter for 2 years, so five years of patient care under my belt.
-Some volunteer experience, Big brother Big sister organization and as a teachers aid in elementary classrooms.
-For the last 2 1/2 years I have been working overnights in the ICU (36hrs/week) and attending classes for my pre-medical degree during the day.
-I am not schedule to take MCAT until late July, so my application will not be complete until late August.
Just curious as to what those of you would suggest as a realistic MCAT goal to gain acceptance? Truly appreciate all of the information provided!
For DO, 26+. For MD, it depends on whether you have a lenient state school, but for across-the-board decent odds based on historical data, a 3.5/32 gave All Applicants a 59% chance of success. I'd expect your chances to be better with the same numbers due to the high BCPM GPA and recent upward grade trend. (See
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=888650 for MD outcomes with other MCAT scores.)

Unless you're getting straight A's in your pre-reqs, you should cut your ICU hours and focus on this. It's a commitment they want to see. Your MCAT goal should be 27-28, but you'll likely get in with a 24 and up given no red flags. Good luck :luck:

Thank you, I appreciate the advice from both of you, and ironically yes i'm going part time in the icu for a couple months to study.