MCAT - Do I have the "right" study materials?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glutam8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of past posts about which study materials are more helpful than others, and I know it's different for everyone, but I'm still a little confused about how much variety I should have and which materials I absolutely need.

So far, I've signed up for a TPR course that comes with 12 FL tests and the TPR books.

For official AAMC material, should I purchase the "MCAT – Complete Official MCAT® Prep Bundle"? It comes with the official guide, question packs, a sample test and a practice exam. Or is there something else people are referring to when discussing the official AAMC materials?
(Edit: Just realized that all the question packs, tests, and questions from the guide come with the TPR course (completely missed that). Would the official guide still be worth purchasing on its own for the "comprehensive overview about the MCAT exam sections"? Or what about the official MCAT flashcards? -- Sorry for so many questions, I just have no idea where to start at this point.)

I've also been thinking of purchasing the four tests ($50 each) offered by EK. Would 1001 for each of the subjects it offers (Biology, Chemistry, O-Chem) be helpful as well?

Would this be enough? Are there important materials that I'm missing?

I just see so many people mixing different prep materials that I guess I'm a little confused about whether or not I'm missing any essentials or if I should focus on different prep companies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The TPR books include everything that you need and the course comes with all of the AAMC material included. You can supplement with Khan Academy (free!) if need be.

The only additional book you might want to purchase is Kaplan Biochemistry if you haven't taken biochemistry or are feeling weak on metabolism.