MCAT Encouragement !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cxianmei

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm in the beginning stages of studying for the MCAT, got some books that I've skimmed through but haven't actually studied from yet, etc. I decided to try out the BS and VR sections from one of the AAMC test for fun earlier, and I was only able to score a 10 in BS and 8 in VR. It's quite discouraging, especially since I thought I would be really strong in VR. I'm not sure how accurate it came out to be though (in terms of my actual skill), since I was dozing off during some passages, was eating a sandwich, and am sitting in a coffee shop with a medium noise level. The excuse is a bad one, I know... :laugh:

Anyways, I just wanted to hear from others who've experienced starting off with low diagnostic scores and saw great improvement after serious studying. Btw, I didn't take the PS section, because I haven't completely finished physics yet, and my knowledge of gen chem isn't that strong. I've already been reading most of the posts here in SDN about study techniques, book reviews, and how some managed to achieve good scores. I'm imagining myself to be on that 30+ list one day. lol

I'm doing u-grad in another country, so I don't have many people to relate with or talk to about MCAT prep until I go back to the US to visit family during the breaks. :(

Any support or words of encouragement or personal success stories would be greatly appreciated! For those who feel like they're at the bottom of the sea and feel intimidated by the studying that awaits, I feel for you. The hardest part for me at the moment is actually opening the book and figuring out how to start studying.

Since the new year has started, I've made the decision to improve my critical reading skill by reading articles, short stories, doing various passages, and just plain reading about things that interest me. I figure that if I can improve my ability to retain information more efficiently, it'll help me be a better learner, including when I need to study the sciences, etc. I have a nasty habit of re-reading through something I've already gone through, because I "auto-read". Wastes a ton of time. Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

I have perhaps another year til I'll think about taking the MCAT, but I want to start reviewing now at a steady pace, instead of doing a heavy 1-2 month sprint before the test. If anyone can offer any study tips or advice, I'd love to hear it. I'm expecting to make a dent VR and WS, since I'm starting off early.

Hope you've all had a lovely start of the new year!

Members don't see this ad.

10 and 8 are good diagnostic scores. I got a 23 composite on my diagnostic.

I get a lot of my motivation from reading the 30+ thread.

I think your starting scores are fine. You need to understand that where you start doesn't necessarily indicate where you end. You drive and work ethic have much more to do with where you will end.

Work hard, and you'll be fine.

Besides, 8 on verbal really isn't that bad. That's the section most kids struggle with, and having never practiced it before, I definitely think there'll be some easy points for you to gain.