This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody890

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some schools average the two MCATs, and many will at least judge you lower based on the first MCAT, so I would operate under the assumption that you have at most a 28(just a rough estimate, and the estimable adcoms can have a better estimate, but a 30 after a 19 is not the same as a 30 to start). That puts you at borderline for MD, so you can apply to low tier MD programs and IS (instate programs) and DO programs, and see what sticks.

Also, another weakness in the overall app is that there is fairly little clinical experience. Between now and applying, you should increase that to some degree as well. With that, you should have a fairly solid chance at DO schools, but MD may be a stretch. But hey, try, and see what happens!

Where in IL do you live? If it's south of I80 definitely look at SIU. Of course apply to UIC. rosy Franklin, Rush etc. do you have the MSAR? If not invest in it now and use it to develop your school list. I wouldn't apply to very many MD schools and then only to those that don't average MCAT
Scores( yours would average a 24.5 which is too low for MD). Focus on DO schools for your best chance at an acceptance. In the meantime you should get some additional clinical experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a good list. For MD I suggest adding Western Michigan, Oakland Beaumont, Quinnipiac, Commonwealth (PA) and any new private MD schools that open in 2016. Also apply to at least 10 DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest the following (after making sure they don't average the MCATs, but take only the most recent one:

Rush
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
GWU
Georgetown
Tufts
U Miami
Wake Forest
EVMS
VCU
All new MD programs except Va Tech and Hofstra
Any DO program. Start with CCOM and DMU and work outwards.
U ILL
SIU, but only IF you live in southern ILL.

MY MCAT score 30 GPA s 3.75 applied to Temple, Jefferson, Drexel,New york med,OSU,wright dayton,
Toledo , cincinnati Med,
and 5 DO schools .
Right now ,
Temple wait listed,
Neomed rejected
DO in ohio accepted.
What are my chances of getting interview and acceptance at Med school for 2015?

Thanks,

Temple wait listed,
Neomed rejected
DO in ohio accepted.

Thanks,
Without a dramatic improvement, less than this year.
You said you were accepted to med school??

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for your input. Is it worth to apply to that many MD schools if I don't have a good chance there cause of my MCAT score? I know that it is ideal to apply to as many as possible within my range, but I just can't afford to apply to that many with the slight hope. Is 10 DO and 10 MD reasonable? What are your thoughts?
Are you already accepted to a DO school?

Nope, This application cycle will be my first time applying. I think you were reading still hoping's comment. He posted a comment asking for his chance of getting into MD school I believe.
You're right.
Though your DO chances are better, you can certainly pick some of @Faha's and @Goro's recommendations for MD.

Hi there BGL,

I'm only a premed but I thought some lessons I learned may be helpful. When researching schools, if you call the and talk to them or email them, you'll get a better sense of where you stand. A few will give you general answers, so it will be hard to gauge on those. But a few may encourage you to try and see, I would weight that a bit more. If you are tactful and word your questions well, you may be able to infer if they have seen other students like you and had positive results. If so, then go for it, whether MD or DO.

Another advice I would give is to look at the secondary treads or find the secondary questions. I tried looking before but could not find them on my own so I did what I could once I got secondary invites. But here in SDN there really easy to get a hold of. I would consider taking advantage of that. That would also give you both a sense of what they are looking for on top of the AMCAS. Moreover, you can get an easy start on them if you have time. Getting everything in early is definitely a big help: AMCAS in early, transcripts into AMCAS early, and good turn around in secondaries. I heard those all help increase your chances. If you have the time resources then it is worth a try. Also if you need time to edit your essays like I do, then writing them early will give your subconscious time to filter thoughts out while you wait for verification and secondary invites. Some schools send secondaries to everyone but a few screen so its good to know that as well before diving in.

Lastly, do not be discourage. If you do not get accepted at a particular school, oh well. You gave it a shot. Its better to always keep up both a positive attitude while taking reality into context.

I think your chances are pretty good, even for some middle MD schools. Top-tier med schools might be a stretch, but honestly, you just need to get accepted. That MCAT score jump you made is pretty impressive. Depending on where you're from, try applying to your state schools, with a mix of DO and MD schools out of state.

MY MCAT score 30 GPA s 3.75 applied to Temple, Jefferson, Drexel,New york med,OSU,wright dayton,
Toledo , cincinnati Med,
and 5 DO schools .
Right now ,
Temple wait listed,
Neomed rejected
DO in ohio accepted.

Thanks,

You were rejected from Neomed with a 3.75 and 30 MCAT??

Status
Not open for further replies.