MCAT + GPA for ROSS, AMERICAN, SABA, ST. GEORGE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i have a 3.14 total gpa, 3.24 science gpa, 3.55 premedical requirements gpa, 21 N mcat... i want to goto saba. thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

In addition, Ross is the ONLY Carib. school that is OFFICIALLY approved in Texas (Even SGU is not on their list). Please look at the following link:

I wish people would realize that SGU is in Grenada!! They are listed on the Texas website:
42200 GRENADA (WEST INDIES)
42201 ST GEORGE'S UNIV, SCH OF MED, ST GEORGE'S, GRENADA

SGU graduates can practice in all 50 states with no problem

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a 3.05 overall, 3.8 sci, 20Q mcat.. rejected by AUC fall 2007. i had interviews at VCOM, TUCOM-CA, TUCOM-NY. rejected at 1, waitlisted at 2.

point is: Carribean schools can be as hard as DO schools.

i did. they hate me. they said try mua. :p :sleep:

i just got into mua.. saba said the same to me. dont feel bad, they matriculate small classes, which means they are very selective.

The GPA is a hair lower than the average at St. George and Ross, but the MCAT isn't, I believe. At least, for Ross. Apply, you'll get in somewhere.

Are these MD degrees we're talking about?

Has anyone been accepted to any Caribbean schools as of late? Just wanted info on what their MCAT scores/BCMP/cGPA/science gpa was.

Also for an interview, would the schools consider you any differently if your dad is a Doctor because my dad is the chief of Anesthesia at the hospital he works at.

I want to apply to Caribbean schools as a back up.

GPA 3.18 MCAT 29 R (PS 11 V 7 BS 11)

Should I apply to 4 schools, or is 1 (SGU) enough?

It will never hurt to apply to all 4. It's a matter of 300$ max for application fees.

Hope this thread isn't dead

I m graduating in November but my GPA is pretty crappy (2.3) and I havent done my MCATs yet (possibly in Jan) but I m still aiming for Med school and Caribbean is sort of my only option.

Uni was just a bad time for me and I hope to redeem myself with the chance.

Any recent updates on St Georges requirements (thats what Im aiming for)

I spoke to the representatives from there and they tell me they dont really have minimum grade requirements to get in hence I am a little confused of my chances

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope this thread isn't dead

I m graduating in November but my GPA is pretty crappy (2.3) and I havent done my MCATs yet (possibly in Jan) but I m still aiming for Med school and Caribbean is sort of my only option.

Uni was just a bad time for me and I hope to redeem myself with the chance.

Any recent updates on St Georges requirements (thats what Im aiming for)

I spoke to the representatives from there and they tell me they dont really have minimum grade requirements to get in hence I am a little confused of my chances

Thanks

Retake Cs, Ds, and Fs, a comeback from a 2.3 is a long and arduous process, especially if you've got over 100 credits of work. Get As and Bs in retakes and apply DO.

If you can't get into a US school, why do you think an expensive Caribbean education is going to suddenly change your abilities to become a physician in the US? There is no easy way to become a doctor in the US. If you have a low GPA or can't break 25 on the MCAT I'd suggest a self assessment rather than further hurting your future by going the Caribbean route.

2.3 is going to be tough at SGU

A 2.3 will not get you in to SGU through any entrance route. I'm not one to try to crap on people's dreams though. If by some grace you can retake a class or get your GPA to a 2.5 before applying and then on top of that get a 35+ on the MCAT, you may have a chance to be admitted through their foundation's program. Carib schools are more welcoming to lopsided applications, but that GPA will severely hinder any hopes of gaining admission to SGU and likely Ross as well, can't speak on the others. Good luck.

The average for AUC nowadays is a 3.2 GPA and a 25 MCAT. My friend was rejected with a 3.0 and 23. But I know of people who were accepted with less. Never hurts to try.

Does Ross automatically MERP someone with a GPA below 3.0? even if their MCAT is above 30?

Does anyone know if I have a shot with a 2.9 and a 31? Also is there any chance of matching to a canadian residency from there?

It is not hard for me to believe that U of arkansas has a 27 average MCAT. there are a lot of applicants to choose from who have high MCAT scores. So even if the med school accepts a few ppl with scores in the low or mid 20's, such as someone who wowed them in other ways besides test scores, any maybe underrepresented minorities, etc., there are still ppl with MCAT scores in the 30's to balance out the average...

I have a 3.77 overall undergrad GPA and a 25 MCAT. What are my chances of getting into st. george for Aug 2013?

I have a 3.77 overall undergrad GPA and a 25 MCAT. What are my chances of getting into st. george for Aug 2013?

Retake the MCAT and try to break 30. You do that, and you may have a shot at a US school.

I have similar stats GPA - 2.83 (pre-med courses 2.2, eek) MCAT -24 from Princeton. Lots of ECs, volunteerwork, etc.
Would really love to go to St. George's - do you think this is viable at all?
How much easier is it to get into the January class?

You got into Princeton and ended up with a 24 MCAT? I could understand low GPA due to ivy league grading but MCAT is standardized. My, how the mighty have fallen....

You got into Princeton and ended up with a 24 MCAT? I could understand low GPA due to ivy league grading but MCAT is standardized. My, how the mighty have fallen....

Not to start a verbal war, but I heard (on SDN) Ivy League schools allow you to drop without penalty deep into the semester. That doesn't necessarily mean easier but it does mean pumped up GPA's. I would've liked to have went to Yale just as much as the rest of them. Ivy leaguers, please verify or reject.

Not to start a verbal war, but I heard (on SDN) Ivy League schools allow you to drop without penalty deep into the semester. That doesn't necessarily mean easier but it does mean pumped up GPA's. I would've liked to have went to Yale just as much as the rest of them. Ivy leaguers, please verify or reject.

I attended Ross with a UC Berkely grad. Just sayin'.

Also, no war to start either, but the Ivy League schools are notorious for grade inflation. "60 Minutes" even did an expose on this some time back.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/11/21/national/main318831.shtml

Don't know if/whether this has changed, but why would it?

-Skip

I applied to AUC last fall and was rejected. 2.6gpa (pre-graduation) and 14 mcat. ya i know, i didn't study.

my post graduation gpa is 2.7 and i am taking my mcat soon. but i dont know if i'll get anything higher than 20-21. idk what it is about this exam but it's one thing i can't overcome.

u think AUC will take me if i reapplied with a 20 MCAT?

I got 2.81, i'm currently taking more courses after graduating as a second degree now (just in case, and so far I'm getting close to 3.8) and my mcat score is 31. Any suggestion to what I should do?
Caribbean? Any US schools you could recommend? What about European schools?

I got 2.81, i'm currently taking more courses after graduating as a second degree now (just in case, and so far I'm getting close to 3.8) and my mcat score is 31. Any suggestion to what I should do?
Caribbean? Any US schools you could recommend? What about European schools?

Are you doing more upper-level science courses? If so, and you're getting really good grades in those, try applying to DO schools. If you can't get in, try doing an SMP and reapply to both MD and DO schools. After that, then consider the Caribbean.

well I'm a Canadian student, and I realize it's really hard to come back to Canada if I go out of the country. At the same time, i realize that my gpa at the moment is garbage for any university to accept. So I am considering SMP now, DO or even the caribbeans. Any suggestions for institutions to apply?

Just to throw in my 2 cents, my undergrad gpa was a 2.777, grad gpa 3.5, MCAT of 24, loads of ECs and I got into SGU for August 2013.

Will the postbac GPA (3.76) compensate the low undergrad GPA (around 3.0-3.2)? MCAT 27 and lots of ECs.

well I'm a Canadian student, and I realize it's really hard to come back to Canada if I go out of the country. At the same time, i realize that my gpa at the moment is garbage for any university to accept. So I am considering SMP now, DO or even the caribbeans. Any suggestions for institutions to apply?

How did/are you getting into a SMP as a Canadian? I read in the criteria for those that they often require citizenship for the States and also usually a GPA above 3.0. I guess for us Canadians the option is to do a masters...much easier to get into one as you just need I think a B- avg for a lot of master programs. That should help with acceptance into most Caribbean schools but I don't know about these four. I don't know if a low GPA + doing a Masters is as good for a DO school as a low GPA + SMP.

2.8 undergrad gpa 23 MCAT, still have 2 semesters til graduation, any chance at one of the big 3 schools?

Is it ok to bump an old thread?

What are my chances now with a 3.1 gpa, science gpa same I think, and a 31 MCAT?

I'm taking classes post-bacc starting in a couple weeks, some upper level science ones.

Should retake the MCAT? (I have time)