MCAT Help..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kochanie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MCAT is scheduled 9-12 and I am not feeling too confident. I did not take any practices yet besides the initial Kaplan FL. I had a full load of summer classes and did not review as much as I should have. I paid 2k for the Kaplan class and the materials expire at the end of September so it was a huge waste of money...

Should I just go ahead and take it anyways?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Kaplan will let you retake the class free of charge, but call them and double check. Kaplan FL are not 100% representative, have you taken the AAMC half length or their question packs? If you are not ready at all, do not take it. But at the same time, no one is 100% ready.

Kaplan will let you retake the class free of charge, but call them and double check. Kaplan FL are not 100% representative, have you taken the AAMC half length or their question packs? If you are not ready at all, do not take it. But at the same time, no one is 100% ready.
I didn't take any yet, because I've been so behind on content review. Should I go ahead and decide after taking the AAMC?

I have a question about the Kaplan, I know they let you retake the class, but can I do the self-paced one vs the strict schedule one I'm doing now?

Postpone without a doubt. It's rather nonsense to take the MCAT knowing you need to study. No one is or will be 100% prepared for this test, but that does not mean taking it without a proper preparation.
I have taken the Kaplan before. They will let you retake it, and you can choose to take the online class. It is the same as the regular class without going to the class (which I found to be a waste of time).
I don't know if you like the style of Kaplan or not, since you did not review all their material, but I didn't. Regardless, take the time to prepare.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't take any yet, because I've been so behind on content review. Should I go ahead and decide after taking the AAMC?

I have a question about the Kaplan, I know they let you retake the class, but can I do the self-paced one vs the strict schedule one I'm doing now?
Th self paced one a lot better but you have to be strict and honest with your self. Kaplan is not very representative of the actual exam so try taking the AAMC half length soon. This will give a percentage amount of where you currently stand. Then just start going from there. You have a little over a month so you have time. If after seeing this you realize you are weak in some sections then go yto the AAMC content list of that section and use the internet and your Kaplan books to learn them. Then go to the AAMC q-packs or full length exams and practice practice practice. You will probably never know 100% of the content but going through problems and reviewing what you got right/wrong and WHY then you can do well.

"My MCAT is schedules 9-12 and I am not feeling too confident." That's all I needed. Keep on reviewing as much as you can, take a practice FL and come back. If the quoted statement still holds true, postpone it. You can't walk into an MCAT NOT feeling confident...there's overconfidence...but no confidence is begging for a subpar score.

Th self paced one a lot better but you have to be strict and honest with your self. Kaplan is not very representative of the actual exam so try taking the AAMC half length soon. This will give a percentage amount of where you currently stand. Then just start going from there. You have a little over a month so you have time. If after seeing this you realize you are weak in some sections then go yto the AAMC content list of that section and use the internet and your Kaplan books to learn them. Then go to the AAMC q-packs or full length exams and practice practice practice. You will probably never know 100% of the content but going through problems and reviewing what you got right/wrong and WHY then you can do well.
Postpone without a doubt. It's rather nonsense to take the MCAT knowing you need to study. No one is or will be 100% prepared for this test, but that does not mean taking it without a proper preparation.
I have taken the Kaplan before. They will let you retake it, and you can choose to take the online class. It is the same as the regular class without going to the class (which I found to be a waste of time).
I don't know if you like the style of Kaplan or not, since you did not review all their material, but I didn't. Regardless, take the time to prepare.
"My MCAT is schedules 9-12 and I am not feeling too confident." That's all I needed. Keep on reviewing as much as you can, take a practice FL and come back. If the quoted statement still holds true, postpone it. You can't walk into an MCAT NOT feeling confident...there's overconfidence...but no confidence is begging for a subpar score.
Thank you, I will take the AAMC half length, but I think my biggest problem is that this is not just content review for me. I did pretty poorly in 1/2 of my pre-reqs, so some of this material is brand new.

Thank you, I will take the AAMC half length, but I think my biggest problem is that this is not just content review for me. I did pretty poorly in 1/2 of my pre-reqs, so some of this material is brand new.

Exactly how far behind are you? If you look at the 509+ thread, you'll see that people take the AAMC practice test (since there's only one for the new MCAT) about 2 weeks before the real deal. This happens after they're done with the content review and plenty of practice.

Could you at least try another Kaplan FL? I recommend postponing the exam to a later date if you're really behind, haven't practiced a lot and/or not feeling very confident.

Exactly how far behind are you? If you look at the 509+ thread, you'll see that people take the AAMC practice test (since there's only one for the new MCAT) about 2 weeks before the real deal. This happens after they're done with the content review and plenty of practice.

Could you at least try another Kaplan FL? I recommend postponing the exam to a later date if you're really behind, haven't practiced a lot and/or not feeling very confident.
I will! Probably early next week.
I have a question about canceling. I can't reschedule because I'm the second to last MCAT date, but when is the latest I can cancel? The money isn't an issue seeing as I just blew 2k on Kaplan. -_-

I will! Probably early next week.
I have a question about canceling. I can't reschedule because I'm the second to last MCAT date, but when is the latest I can cancel? The money isn't an issue seeing as I just blew 2k on Kaplan. -_-

I believe the latest you can cancel is 1-2 weeks before the test date (since it's the Bronze Deadline). Check your AAMC MCAT portal.

Lol I took all the pre-reqs and made A's in all of them and the material was STILL brand new to me.:lol: Bottom line, you just have to learn the info one way or another.
content.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I believe the latest you can cancel is 1-2 weeks before the test date (since it's the Bronze Deadline). Check your AAMC MCAT portal.
Thanks, the website was down**** earlier. I guess I'll just cancel then.

What if I took the exam for practice but voided? Is a void the same thing as not taking it?

Last edited:
Thanks, the website was done earlier. I guess I'll just cancel then.

What if I took the exam for practice but voided? Is a void the same thing as not taking it?

By voiding, you won't get your score, but it will be considered 1 of 3 attempts per year. It's basically the same as not showing up on test day, but at least you get to see the actual AAMC test in action. However, that's not really the best use of 7 hours, so I wouldn't recommend doing that.

Voiding is generally only used for if something disastrous has happened and you don't want to score your exam.

Ug, I've completely lost all motivation to study. I'm pretty dead set on taking 2 gap years now.. But then I feel like this summer was a complete waste as well..

Reactions: 1 user
Ug, I've completely lost all motivation to study. I'm pretty dead set on taking 2 gap years now.. But then I feel like this summer was a complete waste as well..

Hey nothing is wrong with 2 gap years! Everyone of my friends in med school now tells me to take a biiiig break before starting. Plus the average age of the incoming classes is around 24.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey nothing is wrong with 2 gap years! Everyone of my friends in med school now tells me to take a biiiig break before starting. Plus the average age of the incoming classes is around 24.
Then I'm doing it. :)

Anyone know about Kaplan's retake policy? I spoke to a woman on the phone that said I have 90 days from September 30 to reschedule. But.. if I plan on taking the MCAT in the summer of 2016 or later, is that an option?