mcat in a < week (getting low #s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forumss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys. so, i've been studying for the mcat since may-ish. more seriously since the end of june. i don't why my scores are not going up, and have been low. my diagnostic last year was 18. i did a kaplan course. so, i've done 5 aamc's: 15, 15, 19, 15, 14. two of these i took when i wasn't feeling like doing it. but still what's going on.

from my aamcas:

Cumulative Undergraduate: BCPM=3.69, AO=3.74, Overall = 3.73 (engineering major).

anyways, i'm going to be taking the mcat on august 27. i know i shouldn't but i already postponed it and my family is telling me to just taken (bad excuse). but really what can be the issue. i mean those are really low numbers.

i already applied this round to 10 schools and got 2 automatic secondaries (1 from loma linda, 1 from ohsu), and don't want to take the new mcat. thinking about taking mcat again in november or january. what would happen if i bring a teen # score and then tell schools i'm retaking it?

idk what the problem is..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
When your scoring BELOW your diagnostics on the practice exams, I don't think it takes other people to tell you that you are heading in the WRONG direction.
Scoring in teens suggests that you don't know content at all or you rushed your content review. You need to go back to square one and incorporate a solid content review in your preparation before starting practice questions.

DO NOT SCORE YOUR MCAT NEXT WEEK!!!! A teen score will really really look bad on your application as it shows utter lack of preparedness. Take the MCAT for practice but VOID it at the end.

Consult the MSAR for the schools you applied to and those are the scores you will need in order to be successful. Aim for 31~ which is around the national median for accepted students. You have a lot of work ahead of you.

Let us know what materials you have used? TBR/TPR/Kaplan? Are you self-studying or did you take a prep course?
Also do NOT take any more AAMC exams because those are golden resources that you will waste by taking them preemptively. You should only take them once you have done sufficient practice and content review.

Reactions: 1 users
texan2414, thanks for your comment. yeah, i understand what you're saying about voiding the test and all. that is the right thing to do. it's just that i've applied this round, and want to follow through with it. i honestly don't know how med schools feel if you take it in november/january (anybody out there know??).

i took a kaplan course last year (2013) while i was working as an engineer, and retook it this may and june 2014. i felt the class was useless for me, and i don't know how they expect you to get through all that material with the schedule they set up. but i did finish through reading all the material, doing subject tests, end of chapter quizes, etc. at the time, i wanted to get through it all. i've been "practicing tests" since august 1. i know that i may not know everything 100%, but didn't think i would score so low. it's outrageous to me, just bugging me.

i called a friend of mine who got a 39 on her mcat and said she did tpr and exam krackers for verbal.

hey guys. so, i've been studying for the mcat since may-ish. more seriously since the end of june. i don't why my scores are not going up, and have been low. my diagnostic last year was 18. i did a kaplan course. so, i've done 5 aamc's: 15, 15, 19, 15, 14. two of these i took when i wasn't feeling like doing it. but still what's going on.

from my aamcas:

Cumulative Undergraduate: BCPM=3.69, AO=3.74, Overall = 3.73 (engineering major).

anyways, i'm going to be taking the mcat on august 27. i know i shouldn't but i already postponed it and my family is telling me to just taken (bad excuse). but really what can be the issue. i mean those are really low numbers.

i already applied this round to 10 schools and got 2 automatic secondaries (1 from loma linda, 1 from ohsu), and don't want to take the new mcat. thinking about taking mcat again in november or january. what would happen if i bring a teen # score and then tell schools i'm retaking it?

Usually most schools will not take mcat scores after september (might be a special case this year, not sure). I would still not risk it, if I were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you do that? You'll likely end up scoring around your average anyway, so you wouldn't get in even though you applied. Not with a score that low...

Reschedule it and apply next year. Being a reapplicant is a bad thing, scoring that poorly shows like of preparation and adcoms don't like to see that either.

That's too low, you should only be taking the MCAT if you are getting the scores that you need to be admitted.

I would suggest scheduling yourself to take the very last MCAT offered for this MCAT cycle before the new test is instated. I believe the last test date is Jan. 23? That gives you five months to bring up your scores.

It sounds like you flew right through your content review and practice while taking the Kaplan course (correct me if I'm wrong), so it didn't really stick with you and hence, the low practice test scores. How did you do on Kaplan chapter quizzes and sectional tests? Did you read the explanations and understand them? Did you notice any weakness trends or strength trends?

Maybe you're right and you do need to use another company's resources if Kaplan isn't working for you. Do what you gotta do!
Many pre-meds here are using the SN2'D study schedule--perhaps, you could do that. There's also the 30+ thread that could give you new study tips that have worked for others.

Lucky for you, it sounds like you haven't taken your first official MCAT yet so you don't have a poor score on your profile. Props to you for hesitating about jumping into the official test and getting it scored even though you know your practice scores weren't anywhere near where you want them to be! (Something I wish I had done, but am now learning and bouncing back)

With a score that low, you'll likely be automatically screened out of the admission process (though you will probably get secondaries anyway because that's one of the ways programs make money). Unless there's an incredibly rare situation, no MD or DO school will accept a student with a 15 on the MCAT. Additionally, a score that low will likely reflect poorly on your future applications.

hi SN2ed, i just wrote the following as a "new conversation," but couldn't send it to you. i am ready over your study plan right now.

hi sn2ed, i've been browsing this forum for about 2 years, on and off. i am scheduled to take the mcat next week; however, am feeling doubtful. i posted my thoughts on this thread last night, and some have responded:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/mcat-in-a-week-getting-low-s.1094226/#post-15611045

as mentioned, i did a kaplan course, didn't really find the actual course useful. i've done 5 aamc's: 15, 15, 19, 15, 14.

here are my stats from my current aamcas:

as you can see, i need to do better. i read many positive reviews of your 3 month study guide. i'm wondering what your thoughts are as far as me using these program. with my current scores, would this be the place to start or would you recommend otherwise?

also, i've applied to loma linda, ucr, ucla, uci, ucsd, usc, ohsu, 2 arizona med schools, unlv (which basically rejected me b/c i'm not a resident - should've read guidelines), and western. in your opinion would schools hold onto my application until they receive my mcat or straightup deny me. should i just focus on next cycle. i already paid $600 on apps and such (and almost $2000 on a class that hasn't helped me score-wise).

your thoughts/response would be appreciated! :)

They would most likely take the money from your secondary and then reject you (some would actually email you a rejection the moment you send them money). While it is incredibly disappointing to waste $600, you'd lose more money by sending in secondaries, especially to most of those schools. Your best plan now would be to start over and work towards your MCAT goal from the ground up.

You definetly need to postpone your exam, take the new one if need be. I'm sorry but I do have to ask...where on earth can you have a 3.7 GPA in engineering and not be able to do MCAT physics????

update: took the test yesterday, and voided it. i stopped studying ever since i made this thread, and purchased sn2ed program materials, and will be starting that soon. i plan to start studying at the end of september or beginning of october** and take the mcat in january. thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited:

from my aamcas:

Use TBR. If you can do those then you're golden in the sciences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
My suggestion is that don't take the MCAT until you are ready. as SN2ed said, you will be screened out with a bad score and it's harder to make up for a bad score (though, retakers don't be discouraged many people retake and get accepted). Take some full-length AAMC tests and then see if you are ready a few days before the test. If not, reschedule.

My suggestion is that don't take the MCAT until you are ready. as SN2ed said, you will be screened out with a bad score and it's harder to make up for a bad score (though, retakers don't be discouraged many people retake and get accepted). Take some full-length AAMC tests and then see if you are ready a few days before the test. If not, reschedule.
I agree
If you do some AAMC tests before and you're still scoring teens/low twenties I would absolutely reschedule. Although I wouldn't recommend studying during the term, it might work to keep up with a couple hours per week on content review (because scoring the the teens shows some definite gaps in you knowledge of the content) and then study like crazy for a few weeks over winter break (this sucks, I know). But then you could try the test one last time in January

As somebody who also used Kaplan but didn't score well on a first exam, take their Higher Score Guarantee so that you have the resources online. Use the QBank, do the section/subject tests and use their Edge materials for really hard topics. That's how I mastered renal systems for my exam!

I didn't just use Kaplan stuff though- just their online resources and practice questions. Then do AAMC stuff, TPR, ExamKrackers, etc. to supplement. IMHO it's just dumb to waste $2k on Kaplan and not use the HSG for the resources at LEAST. Enroll in an online course, go to class on topics you need most help on and study independently otherwise. Good luck.

Sorry, don't mean offense, but how do you have a 3.7 engineering GPA and struggle with introductory physics, chem, and ochem? lot of physics passages you should have already seen before! Also, a 15 indicates an average of 5 per section, which means you are missing more than half the questions, and a lot of bio questions you can answer just by understanding the passage.
Have you done enough practice passages? Do as many as possible before you take FLs again.
Also, the problem could maybe lie in self-belief? I haven't taken it yet, but I feel the MCAT requires a good degree of confidence to consistently do well, and you should have this confidence as MCAT sciences are dwarves compared to the engineering degree!

The Brown Knight, ConfusedChemist: not sure what's going on. that's why i'm going through this process again. knowledge gaps, nerves, etc.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/members/confusedchemist.632772/
i have purchased both the SN2ed materials. for verbal, what is better to use, the berkeley review or ek 101? i haven't looked at ek 101 yet, but the berkeley review seems to emphasize reading the questions before going onto the questions?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/members/confusedchemist.632772/
another question, i have already applied to schools via amcas and aacomas, and have 2 secondaries for md schools. is their a "application withdrawal" process on amcas or each school, or do i just not submit my secondaries to schools? i called some of the schools and they said they won't accept scores after a certain date: september 1 (uci), november 1 (llu), etc. i am planning to take the test in january. i called western u pomona and they said it's latter in the cycle, but that they'd still look at my application.

i kind of need some guidance in this process of withdrawing my application, reapplying, retaking mcat. if i get into western u this cycle, i will attend. otherwise, i will apply there and other md schools next round. i read some threads on how reapplicants, many make it seem like a more difficult process.

as stated above, i've applied to loma linda, ucr, ucla, uci, ucsd, usc, ohsu, 2 arizona med schools, unlv (which basically rejected me b/c i'm not a resident - should've read guidelines), and western u. what do i do with these schools just not submit secondaries or any info, or just wait, take the mcat, see what happens, etc etc please guide.

Between TBR and EK 101 verbal I prefer EK. If you can do both then thats great. I have both and have been doing full timed verbal tests from both sources. TBR passages/questions are not over top difficult but more so than EK. Often times I find my self fighting an answer given by them, but that does not usually happen with EK. EK focuses more detail specific questions. I would suggest getting TPR verbal workbook. I find the content there most reasonable. I still have not taken any AAMC practice so I can not compare but most people say EK and TPR is closest to it.

And dont be limited to one verbal strategy. If reading questions before hand does not work for you, try something else. Don't force a strategy. Find what works best for you!

The Brown Knight, ConfusedChemist: not sure what's going on. that's why i'm going through this process again. knowledge gaps, nerves, etc.
i have purchased both the SN2ed materials. for verbal, what is better to use, the berkeley review or ek 101? i haven't looked at ek 101 yet, but the berkeley review seems to emphasize reading the questions before going onto the questions?
another question, i have already applied to schools via amcas and aacomas, and have 2 secondaries for md schools. is their a "application withdrawal" process on amcas or each school, or do i just not submit my secondaries to schools? i called some of the schools and they said they won't accept scores after a certain date: september 1 (uci), november 1 (llu), etc. i am planning to take the test in january. i called western u pomona and they said it's latter in the cycle, but that they'd still look at my application.

i kind of need some guidance in this process of withdrawing my application, reapplying, retaking mcat. if i get into western u this cycle, i will attend. otherwise, i will apply there and other md schools next round. i read some threads on how reapplicants, many make it seem like a more difficult process.

I haven't applied yet, so I can't give much advice there. As for verbal, if you have access do both! But in general I've heard EK101 is best. I've only done couple AAMCs and it seems EK101 is fairly close. Whatever you use to practice, I feel like if you use MUCH HARDER materials for practice (and NOT taking them lightly) helps a lot; e.g. find the old 8-hour long exams, make practice sections out of TBR and TPR passages, etc. For verbal, I feel like reading Qs before would just confuse me and waste too much time, but it's great if it works for you; I spend 3-4 mins on the passage to look for the main claims/opinions in the passage and try to quickly VISUALIZE the supporting details/evidence - it minimizes returning to passage and is why I would be overwhelmed if I had to remember the Q stems. Also, for the knowledge gaps/nerves, since you have time till January maybe revisit your engineering notes - it's easier to recall what you have already worked hard to learn.

Are you still scoring in the teens?
Unless you've been breaking 25 consistently, I'd safe your money/efforts and wait until next year for sure
writing and getting a score in the teens permanently on your record is something to avoid if you can

well, at this point i'm out of town. and have reviewed just the first couple of chapters of the berkeley review verbal book. i'm thinking about simply taking the mcat in january. based on sdn, MD schools won't consider that late of a mcat, but some DO may. therefore, i'm aiming for western u pomona. otherwise, next cycle!!!!!

hey guys, so i have not taken the mcat, but western u pomona just sent me a secondary 10 days ago! i was planning to take it later. i honestly wasn't even sure about this cycle. what does them sending me a secondary mean? i know some schools send automatic secondaries for your money, but this wasn't automatic

If you're scoring below average, it's much better to cancel. Remember, the average MCAT taker gets a 25, but the average matriculant scores a 31. If you're not even breaking 20, you're in serious trouble and you should opt for one-on-one tutoring to identify your issue.

Best of luck with your MCAT. You can do this if you do it right.