MCAT in January or May?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmarank

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I plan on applying to medical school next summer and I was looking for some advice. I have the option to take either orgo II or physics II this coming fall semester. Orgo I at my school supposedly covers all of the orgo material on the MCAT which is why most of the bio majors at my school dont even take orgo II (they take biochem instead). If I were to take physics II next fall then I could study for the MCAT this coming semester and take the test after winter break. This would give me almost 4 months to study during the semester and I could potentially retake the test if April / May / Early June if necessary. If I take orgo II now then I will have to take physics II in the spring so I wont be able to take the MCAT till spring semester... so I would only get one chance on the MCAT if I wanted to apply early next summer

What do I do? So far I have taken gen chem 1 & 2, orgo 1, gen bio, cell bio and genetics... I would also be taking physio in the spring but couldn't I just self study the necessary physio on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Also my fall semester would consist of: Neurobio (3 hrs) Anatomy and lab (5 hrs) Research (2 hrs) and either physics (5 hrs) or orgo II (4 hrs). Also I am not the best at classes like physics which is why I anticipate it taking about as much studying time as orgo II.

Only take it when you're ready. It's generally suggested not to take it until after you're done with all your pre-reqs. I mean, sure, a January test will give you another chance in May, but going into a test thinking that you might retake might not be a good thing.

Last edited: