MCAT in Question... Continue with application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparticus8747

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post on SDN and I would appreciate any thoughts on my situation.

EC's
120 hrs volunteer at free medical clinic for homeless and underserved.
126 hrs volunteer reading tutor at elementary
350 hrs as hospice volunteer
Founder and President of successful school club
134 hrs O-chem tutor
170 hrs research with pathogens and oral presentation at national conference
45 hrs volunteer Boys scouts merit badge counselor
68 hrs research about caffeine w/ publication pending.
118 hrs shadowing (Family, Internal med, General surgery, ENT)
240 hours as piano teacher
2000+ work in finance
1200 hrs door-to-door salesman
88 hrs volunteer at Jr. high special needs unit.
300+ hrs as English teacher in Croatia and Serbia.

cGPA 3.90
sGPA 3.86

MCAT June 2015 percentiles
Phsy/Chem 82-97%
Cars 28-43%
Bio/Biochem 74-89%
Psyc/Soc 38-53%
Total 54-64%

LOR
2 MD & 1 DO (MD letter is very strong)
2 Science professor (1 strong)
4 volunteer letters (3 very strong)
1 research letter (strong)

Obviously my MCAT is a big concern for me. Here are my questions.
1. I am from Utah and would like to go to MD. Do I have a shot at any MD schools? If so, which ones?
2. If I consider DO, which schools would be good to consider?
3. If i retake the MCAT (which will most likely happen), when would you suggest I retake it?
4. Should I just hold off til next cycle?

Thanks in advance for any/all feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

To be frank, your MCAT is low for MD, but fine for most DO. Your best MD school chances would be at your state schools and new schools. If you are dead set on MD, I do suggest a retake and I wouldn't rush it; meaning study hard and retake only when you are ready, which likely means holding off until next year.

I am not sure about the MCAT range for Utah Med, but if 10%ile is 26 or so, then it may still be worth applying (check MSAR). But if your MCAT is falling below the 10%ile, then chances are very unlikely.

Your ECs and GPA are great.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you want MD, a retake is definitely in order, since those percentiles are very low and probably deadly. However, you need to go back and examine your weaknesses before you can plan on taking the MCAT again. Unfortunately, that means sitting out for this cycle. As stated above, DO NOT take it again until your are ready!!! How did you study? If you haven't already, maybe consider investing in an MCAT review course this time around. It looks like you've done well with everything else, so with another few months of concentrated studying I think you can do better.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's a such a massive disparity between GPA and MCAT score that I strongly recommend a retake. The VR alone has you circling the drain. Are you ESL??

If you must apply this cycle, I suggest only U UT, and applying broadly to DO schools, especially the newest ones. I can't recommend LUCOM. Start your list with RVU, TUNCOM, and BCOM.

1. I am from Utah and would like to go to MD. Do I have a shot at any MD schools? If so, which ones?
2. If I consider DO, which schools would be good to consider?
3. If i retake the MCAT (which will most likely happen), when would you suggest I retake it?
4. Should I just hold off til next cycle?

Thank you for your feedback. This is what I was thinking as well and I will definitely retake the MCAT. No, I am not ESL. Unfortunately for me, I just choked on that section but know I can do a lot better the second time around. I will apply to the U of UT but will still plan on retaking it after adequate preparation.

In addition, from what you see in my application, is there anything else that you think I could improve on? I will continue on with many of my ECs but any other thoughts??

Also a Utah resident. I've talked to members of the adcom/done a lot of research on Utah.

You just need to be above average in 5/7 categories (GPA, MCAT, patient exposure, service, leadership, shadowing, research) in order to get an interview. Averages aren't posted so there's really no way of knowing this, but the point is one thing won't absolutely kill you. I believe you're above their minimum cut off for MCAT. Apparently their philosophy is that if you once you pass minimums, you'll probably be a fine doctor. Unfortunately this probably won't help you with any other schools, but if AMCAS is already submitted, might as well stick it out and see what happens. GOOD LUCK!

I did my "English teaching" in Spain. Any chance that free medical clinic is Maliheh in SLC?

Thank you for your feedback. This is what I was thinking as well and I will definitely retake the MCAT. No, I am not ESL. Unfortunately for me, I just choked on that section but know I can do a lot better the second time around. I will apply to the U of UT but will still plan on retaking it after adequate preparation.

In addition, from what you see in my application, is there anything else that you think I could improve on? I will continue on with many of my ECs but any other thoughts??

I think you should focus primarily on your MCAT. Your GPAs are great, so there's nothing to do there. Your ECs look very good, and I don't think Adcoms will hold it against you if take it easy with the ECs to study for the MCAT. The MCAT is really the only thing holding you back right now IMO.

Yeah, you have to be focused on your retake. It doesn't look good to be a high GPA/low MCAT applicant: adcoms will think you forgot everything you were taught or your school didn't teach you very much to begin with.

What's your study strategy for the retake?

Thank you all.
No, the free clinic is up in Ogden.

For my retake I will primarily focus on improving my Psyc/soc and CARS. I feel like i didn't adequately prepare for psyc/soc and that I can easily improve with a little time. For CARS, I will reevaluate my strategies and then decide if i need to change strategies and just practice practice practice. I will make sure to keep up on the other two sections as well though.