MCAT in september, retaking classes Fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDreamer11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am taking the MCAT during September and am also retaking some classes that I had made Cs in. Is there an option on ACCOMAS that I could indicate I am currently taking classes for the Fall semester? Also, would DO schools instantly reject my application (cGPA: 3.3 sGPA: 3.2) without seeing my Fall grades in December? Assuming that I submit my ACCOMAS now, work on the secondaries as they come in, take the MCAT in September, are my chances decent? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I am taking the MCAT during September and am also retaking some classes that I had made Cs in. Is there an option on ACCOMAS that I could indicate I am currently taking classes for the Fall semester? Also, would DO schools instantly reject my application (cGPA: 3.3 sGPA: 3.2) without seeing my Fall grades in December? Assuming that I submit my ACCOMAS now, work on the secondaries as they come in, take the MCAT in September, are my chances decent? Thank you!

I remember there being a place to list the courses you planned to take in coming or present semesters. If you have a 3.3 GPA, you're going to be competitive at some of these places. You definitely won't get the benefit of the GPA boost until at least December, though. You could send them an updated transcript/GPA after your new grades, maybe include a small letter to highlight the increase in GPA from the retakes. It's less complicated if you wait, they get your application with your GPA, and that's that. But you'd wind up in a later pool where some classes are already filled. I'd call admissions at your choice schools and ask their thoughts on the best way to handle it.

I remember there being a place to list the courses you planned to take in coming or present semesters. If you have a 3.3 GPA, you're going to be competitive at some of these places. You definitely won't get the benefit of the GPA boost until at least December, though. You could send them an updated transcript/GPA after your new grades, maybe include a small letter to highlight the increase in GPA from the retakes. It's less complicated if you wait, they get your application with your GPA, and that's that. But you'd wind up in a later pool where some classes are already filled. I'd call admissions at your choice schools and ask their thoughts on the best way to handle it.

All solid advice, and I'm in the same boat (Aug 19th MCAT). Here's what I'm doing: get all your LOR's ready to go asap for secondaries. Get your application filled out now, write your PS, and submit to ONE school only in order to get verified. List your MCAT as "planned" and all your retake courses in the fall as "not yet taken". I finish summer school in the end of July and i'll get a healthy GPA boost (hence the verification now, sending later). Research your schools' secondary essay questions and have them ready to go so you can turn those puppies around right quick and still have a shot before it's too late. I'll be taking Fall classes too, so some nice written letters to update the schools on your new grades in Jan would definitely behoove you.