Mcat January 2017 prep??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jsor20

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking to take the mcat the first date in 2017. I'll finish o Chem and physics this semester with all As. My last pre rec will be biochem in the fall. I had a couple questions about doing so!

Will the mcat be much different since it is the start of a new year and new round of mcats?

What is best to start now as I move towards that test date?

What can I do to get a grasp on the biochem topics while I'm concurrently taking the course in the fall? (I don't want my FLs to be awful since I haven't learned biochem yet.)

Any other advice is completely welcome! Thank you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Will the mcat be much different since it is the start of a new year and new round of mcats?

Shouldn't be. The first new MCAT was administered in April 2015 so if they want to change anything, I would think April would be the most logical date to do so since then they would have exactly a new year's worth of data.

Enjoy your school- and extracurricular work. It's a bit early at this point to begin. The summer would probably be the best place to start. I think six months is more than enough to study for the MCAT - the key is to prevent burnout as you approach test day.

What can I do to get a grasp on the biochem topics while I'm concurrently taking the course in the fall? (I don't want my FLs to be awful since I haven't learned biochem yet.)

Try not to take that many FLs until you've at least done glycolysis and gluconeogenesis in biochem (that's usually done by the halfway point in the class). It's pointless to self-teach the material since you'll be taking the class anyway and in my opinion, your time is better spent doing other things. If anything, the best thing to begin doing is memorizing amino acid structures, 1- and 3-letter codes, and properties such as acidic/basic, pKas of side chains, etc. That'll save you time in the fall when you take biochem and these are high yield topics for the MCAT (definitely structure and codes).

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for that post! I have a good amount of extracurriculars already and have a summer internship with baylors medical school. I will definitely make time for more opportunities to serve, but I would love to get a jumpstart on any mcat review so I can get the best score possible for me. The advice about biochemistry was perfect! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are in a great spot. It warms my heart to see students like you and whiterino taking a more longitudinal study approach. I've privately tutored hundreds of students for the MCAT and it is VERY uncommon for me to have a student who says "I wish I had studied less..." or "I wish I had started later..." Ironically, the SDN mantra seems to be more toward doing it in a couple of months, or even as little as 30 days. I think you are SUPER SMART to be thinking ahead and there are definitely things you can do now so that when test prep time arrives it is much easier.

1) During biochem structure your study around those things most likely to be on the MCAT. See the MCAT topics list or PM me if you want a more intuitive truncated list of the AAMC topics for Biochem.

2) Get familiar with the AAMC style for science questions on MCAT-2015. It would be wise to take a diagnostic such as the Altius 1/2-length on our website to see what AAMC-style questions are like. I would NOT use a full-length because you'll want to save those for later, but a 1/2-length could help you get the target into focus.

3) Read peer-reviewed scientific journals regularly: I recommend at least one per day. Practice reading the graphs. Using what you've learned about AAMC question types, practice writing a few of your own MCAT-style questions and use those in your studies.

4) Leave yourself plenty of time. If you have good mentors and friends, studying for 5-6 moths won't burn you out and will give you plenty of time to internalize the unique "experimental-based critical thinking" skills the exam is actually testing. The needle on that kind of skill doesn't move much in 30-60 days no matter what you do.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Thank you so much for that! I will be sure to hit these steps that you have said. I'll take a look at the altius mcat prep as well. If you have any other tips for preparing, please let me know! I love getting advice from successful people that know what they are doing.

Jan. 2017 MCAT taker checking in.

I'm taking biochem over the summer and will spend the fall studying. I'm a non-trad with a family and full time job, so my biggest challenge will be finding enough hours in the day. Good luck to us all!

Reactions: 1 user
Yet another future Jan 2017 taker here. I'm also a non-trad and also taking biochem over the summer. I'm currently working 2 part time jobs but I'll pare it down to one in a month or so to give myself more time and energy to focus on studying.

I'm in this boat too.

Taking a lighter course load and starting my prep at the beginning of August.
I took the AAMC unscored and the Altius 1/2 length exams out for a spin last March and did much better than I thought I would. Hopefully I can keep up with that trend.

Bumping this thread again
Is it reasonable to assume that the MCAT will be given on the 20th and 21st? Past testing years seem to indicate it's usually given around the third weekend in January.

Bumping this thread again
Is it reasonable to assume that the MCAT will be given on the 20th and 21st? Past testing years seem to indicate it's usually given around the third weekend in January.

Good question. AAMC has said on Twitter that it won't post the 2017 testing schedule until after the last 2016 test date. I'm hoping for late Jan. test dates and that seems like a reasonable hope based on past years, but we have no way to say for sure at this point.

Good question. AAMC has said on Twitter that it won't post the 2017 testing schedule until after the last 2016 test date. I'm hoping for late Jan. test dates and that seems like a reasonable hope based on past years, but we have no way to say for sure at this point.
Thanks, I didn't know that. Looks like we'll find out after September 10.

I am scheduled to sit for the 8/25 date, but am contemplating on cancelling to take it in Jan 2017. I want to make sure I can get the highest score possible since my gpa is low... If we do not perform well on the Jan. 2017 mcat (god forbid- I am banking on only taking this exam once in my life), can we still schedule for a later date after scores come out in Feb? Or do the April/May spots fill up pretty quickly after registration opens for the calendar year?

Members don't see this ad :)
2017 MCAT taker here. I have not had taken much physics beyond Newtonian forces (no electromagnetism, thermodynamics,optics). I've heard that the new MCAT does not have much (if any) physics. A) Is this true? B) I'm hoping that my prep course (Princeton's) will teach me all the physics I need, is this ill-advised? Thank you so much for your time!

2017 MCAT taker here. I have not had taken much physics beyond Newtonian forces (no electromagnetism, thermodynamics,optics). I've heard that the new MCAT does not have much (if any) physics. A) Is this true? B) I'm hoping that my prep course (Princeton's) will teach me all the physics I need, is this ill-advised? Thank you so much for your time!

The AAMC official guide gives you the breakdown. I think physics and ochem are the two least tested topics. That doesn't mean you don't want to know these topics though. We need all the points we can get. Also, the anecdotal reports I've seen say that physics 2 topics tend to be tested more heavily than physics 1.

If I were you I would get one of the more thorough review guides for physics 2 (e..g Berkeley Review).

Hi,

do you guys recommend just getting one review set or a bundle of different ones? I heard the EK ones are good but was wondering what you all were using for prepping for the MCAT.

Since I am just starting out on my review, I haven't really looked at the FLs yet as I want to review the material as efficiently as possible.

Hi guys Im in the same boat. I'll be taking genetics and biochem in the fall as well. However I'm stuck on how to even start. I'll be taking the TPR review course but not sure when I should within the next six months. The course itself is only around 2 months and I plan on studying all of winter break. Anyone have a plan for the next six months?

Hi guys Im in the same boat. I'll be taking genetics and biochem in the fall as well. However I'm stuck on how to even start. I'll be taking the TPR review course but not sure when I should within the next six months. The course itself is only around 2 months and I plan on studying all of winter break. Anyone have a plan for the next six months?
Hey fellow biochem taker! I'm not taking any sort of review course but starting in August I'll be using an extended version of mcatmatt's study plan.

Are any of you using anki and TBR? If so how are you determining what to make a flashcard for? Thanks!
I'll be doing this next month, sorry.

Are any of you using anki and TBR? If so how are you determining what to make a flashcard for? Thanks!

I've been using Anki. I threw all of the amino acid stuff on there (structure, properties like polar fully charged, etc).
I am using the Kaplan 7 subject book for content review and after I go over a chapter, I go back and review/summarize it. After that, I throw anything that isn't sticking in my head/clicking onto Anki.

I found that it's very useful to use Anki. The trick is you have to use it every day for the information to stay with you though. At least for me.

I've been using Anki. I threw all of the amino acid stuff on there (structure, properties like polar fully charged, etc).
I am using the Kaplan 7 subject book for content review and after I go over a chapter, I go back and review/summarize it. After that, I throw anything that isn't sticking in my head/clicking onto Anki.

I found that it's very useful to use Anki. The trick is you have to use it every day for the information to stay with you though. At least for me.
About how many hours does it take you to got through a chapter? I'm using TBR and it's pretty dense so that's why it's been a little challenging to make cards just from the sheer amount of content Haha. Also how does the algorithm really know which cards I need to see them most?

Anyone taking the MCATs want access to Princeton Review's prep site? I did not use it as prudently as I should have and am looking to sell access to it ASAP. Practice tests still available, practice passages and all recorded lectures til 12/8.

I'll also be taking the exam in Jan. My actual prep starts next month, though using Kaplan and AAMC materials. Anyone care to share their CARS prep sources?
I'm going to use EK's old VR resources. I've also found that reading articles from the Economist/NYT/New Yorker/etc. on arts and history helps.

About how many hours does it take you to got through a chapter? I'm using TBR and it's pretty dense so that's why it's been a little challenging to make cards just from the sheer amount of content Haha. Also how does the algorithm really know which cards I need to see them most?
How long do TBR chapters take you to read?

I'm going to use EK's old VR resources. I've also found that reading articles from the Economist/NYT/New Yorker/etc. on arts and history helps.

I have stopped trying to make flashcards while reading the chapter. So now it takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to read a chapter including doing the in passage questions. It takes me about 30 mins to an hour to do the end of passage 25 questions. And then it takes me about 2 maybe 3 hours to review all the questions right or wrong( bc I type up explanations in a google doc)

I have stopped trying to make flashcards while reading the chapter. So now it takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to read a chapter including doing the in passage questions. It takes me about 30 mins to an hour to do the end of passage 25 questions. And then it takes me about 2 maybe 3 hours to review all the questions right or wrong( bc I type up explanations in a google doc)
That's pretty on par with my planned strategy. Thanks for the info!

So how do you guys go about practicing the biology section without biochemistry under your belt yet? It seems very difficult to do so. By the time the real MCAT comes around, we will have biochemistry done and it will be fresh and new. But for now, what's the best way to practice?

So how do you guys go about practicing the biology section without biochemistry under your belt yet? It seems very difficult to do so. By the time the real MCAT comes around, we will have biochemistry done and it will be fresh and new. But for now, what's the best way to practice?

Learn it from Khan Academy / your content review books.

I just want to chime in that the Pentose Phosphate pathway has been known to show up on rare occasions! (just surface-recognizing which enzymes belong to it and what it's for will be plenty)

Reactions: 1 users

EK 1001 Bio lecture 1 is pretty great. I took a basic biochem course a year and a half ago so I still remember some stuff but I think it would be helpful.

It takes me about 3 hours to read a chapter, which includes me referencing Khan videos/online sources for things I find unclear in the Kaplan book. I also sometimes reference my textbooks for additional clarification as well. I am really focusing on getting a strong grasp on the concepts, rather than focusing on minute details. So, I don't use Anki for random vocab words, rather, I use it for broader concept type stuff.

After you look at each card, you have options to click "again" or "good". The "again" card, you'll see again in less than 10 minutes while the "good" card won't be tested again until a day later. So, you assign the difficulty level of each card then Anki will show you the card again at varying intervals.

Hey guys! So working on study techniques and materials. Since the AAMC has their guide to everything that can be tested, is it good to maybe make a checklist and understand each bullet point they list? Just to a simple point of understanding at least. It is so much material and I do recognize that. But I feel like the AAMC materials would be the perfect place to gather everything needed to do incredible on the MCAT. The guide puts it all out there. What do you all think?

Hey guys! So working on study techniques and materials. Since the AAMC has their guide to everything that can be tested, is it good to maybe make a checklist and understand each bullet point they list? Just to a simple point of understanding at least. It is so much material and I do recognize that. But I feel like the AAMC materials would be the perfect place to gather everything needed to do incredible on the MCAT. The guide puts it all out there. What do you all think?

Yeah! Some of the people on here who scored really high have done that.

im in the same boat, does anyone know when we can sign up for the January 2017 MCAT (when the registration first opens) as well as have a good schedule to start studying?!

im in the same boat, does anyone know when we can sign up for the January 2017 MCAT (when the registration first opens) as well as have a good schedule to start studying?!

Registration for the following year usually starts in October.

Do spots fill up fast? I am actually planning on taking it in April. But would I need to sign up in October?

I think for April you should be fine if you don't register the first day. If you were registering for one of the first January dates I'd be sure to do it fast. But at the same time if you already have a date planned why risk it and not sign up right away you know?

anyone know whether TPR vs Kaplan and which is better? Also what other resources are good to use?

Hi All,

I hope its not too late to post. I'm also a non-trad and recently canceled my Sept test date for hopes for January. Wondering how other non-trads who also work full time are balancing work, school, and home/family life while studying for the Mcat. Has anyone taken any full length practice tests yet?

I didn't notice an official January 2017 board up yet, is there one?

Hello all,

I'm looking to take the mcat the first date in 2017. I'll finish o Chem and physics this semester with all As. My last pre rec will be biochem in the fall. I had a couple questions about doing so!

Any other advice is completely welcome! Thank you guys!

KHAN Academy for biochem.

This varies with each book and each section. There are many multiple choice questions within the reading sections, and it is imperative that you do these. Completing the multiple-choice questions within the text section can take as little as twenty minutes or as long as and hour and a half, if you count the reviewing time. As far as reading goes, we strongly suggest that you "read only what you need." If you do the questions embedded in the text section, that will expose you to the concepts, information, strategies, and related material, so reading may be redundant. For particularly high yield topics or topics you may feel less prepared in, then reading and corresponding note-taking could take another half hour to hour.

This varies with each book and each section. There are many multiple choice questions within the reading sections, and it is imperative that you do these. Completing the multiple-choice questions within the text section can take as little as twenty minutes or as long as and hour and a half, if you count the reviewing time. As far as reading goes, we strongly suggest that you "read only what you need." If you do the questions embedded in the text section, that will expose you to the concepts, information, strategies, and related material, so reading may be redundant. For particularly high yield topics or topics you may feel less prepared in, then reading and corresponding note-taking could take another half hour to hour.

Would it be a bad idea to just do the questions and review the reading for questions we missed? I'm trying to approach this efficiently as possible.

Would it be a bad idea to just do the questions and review the reading for questions we missed? I'm trying to approach this efficiently as possible.

It would be a GREAT idea. That is what we tell students in the class to do. Skim the section, looking at all of the figures, tables, and graphs. Take a few minutes to write some notes to yourself on what is important. Then try the embedded questions. If you are getting them right (80% or better), then reading will likely be a waste of time. You are best suited to start in with the passages. If you are getting 60% to 80% then lightly reading the text and trying those embedded questions again is a good idea. If you are below 60%, then it would be best to read and take notes as you go, especially for the shortcuts and strategies. For instance, our way of doing pH calculations is VERY unique, and becomes easy with practice. But no amount of previous schooling will have shown you our approach. So for a chapter like that, the embedded questions will present the shortcuts and techniques. It's up to you if you want to read how they were developed.

@BerkReviewTeach Is there an updated study schedule using the new TBR home-study book set? Thank you.

There are actually three, two of which became obsolete with each release of a different book. You can find the most current one in the back of the Physics 1 book. If you don't have the new Physics books, then use the one from the new General Chemistry book 1. If you don't have that either, then the one in the back of Organic Chemistry 1 will work.

To make life easier, we decided to put a suggested study schedule into the books directly. There is some room to modify your pace.

Hi All,

I hope its not too late to post. I'm also a non-trad and recently canceled my Sept test date for hopes for January. Wondering how other non-trads who also work full time are balancing work, school, and home/family life while studying for the Mcat. Has anyone taken any full length practice tests yet?

I didn't notice an official January 2017 board up yet, is there one?

Find time to study any way you can - I studied whenever I had a free minute whether that was between classes, at the gym, or during downtime at work. As for school, make sure you pay special attention to any topics that you know could be on the MCAT. It will be obviously be difficult, but I tried to think of it as getting me ready for the life of a med student :)

All the best!

Hi everyone!

I'm shooting for the Jan 28th exam date. Is this the official page for the Jan 2017 Test Takers?