Mcat January 2017 prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asaeed90cc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I plan on taking the mcat 6 months from now. I'll be taking biochem and genetics this fall to finish up my sciences. I was planning to take the 2 month TPR prep course within the next 6 months but just really don't know when that should fall in. I would like to start studying as of now because the workload in the Fall might get hectic. I'm a very organized person so I would love to make a plan for the next 6 months but I really just don't know where to start , or when to take the TPR course. Any and all suggestion are appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest saving your money and studying on your own. My friend and I both performed similarly in Organic Chemistry, and my friend went with a prep company and I decided to study on my own for the MCAT. He scored a 515 and I was able to score a 522. I am sure we both worked equally hard, but I think the difference comes from being able to control your study and being able to use the best resources. Test prep companies will train you using their resources, which includes very few of the official AAMC practice problems (problems written by the people who wrote the MCAT!). During my study I found test prep companies' practice exams and practice questions to be subpar. I feel like they take you off track more than help you. I would suggest making a study plan that uses various resources (AAMC, Khan, Kaplan, Princeton, ExamKrakers). Variety is your friend.

Also, if you feel like you need more structure/someone to guide you through the study process and help you with challenging questions, I would suggest finding a tutor. Test prep companies will charge you outrageous prices for tutoring. If you search around online, you can find better deals on tutors. It is helpful to tutor with someone that performed well on the exam already and can give you peace of mind about your preparation.

Lastly, I enjoyed studying on my own because I was able to make the plan that worked for me. I was able to study from home and study only as much as I could each week (very helpful since I was still taking classes during my exam prep). Best of luck with your preparation!

Last edited: