MCAT noob, what else should I be doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bndf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, my mcat is less than two weeks from now! (1/23)

As of now, I just plan on continuing with my AAMC practice tests and go over my errors.
This is my first time taking the mcat and I'm wondering if there's anything else I should be doing at this point.

So far, I've done AAMC 3,4,5,7

3: 11PS 7VR 10BS = 28
4: 10PS 7VR 10BS =27
5: 11PS 8VR 9BS = 28
7: 11 PS 8VR 10BS = 29
*I learned English in high school and 8 seems to be as good as it's gonna get :(

I'm hoping to get 30+ score and it seems like I just can't break that 30 barrier.

For those MCAT veterans, do you guys have any suggestions on what I can do to best prepare myself?

Thank you so much for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Aim for a 12/8/12 score. Work on BS first and then PS.

BS is really easy to increase. Memorize high yield facts.

Last edited:
I'll go with studying PS because you can improve it by a lot simply by doing problems for a whole week. Also, PS can often screw people over on the real thing because people always run out of time due to pressure, which is why you should work on PS in the time-being. It's too late to improve your verbal. The current BS is a lot more conceptual than what you see on practice tests so I would say it's too late to significantly improve BS as well if you don't already have a solid foundation.

I'll go with studying PS because you can improve it by a lot simply by doing problems for a whole week. Also, PS can often screw people over on the real thing because people always run out of time due to pressure, which is why you should work on PS in the time-being. It's too late to improve your verbal. The current BS is a lot more conceptual than what you see on practice tests so I would say it's too late to significantly improve BS as well if you don't already have a solid foundation.

I just took the MCAT in December. Trust me BS is easy to improve. I got a 10 on my first practice tests and ended with 14's on my final practice tests. Got a 13 in BS on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took the MCAT in December. Trust me BS is easy to improve. I got a 10 on my first practice tests and ended with 14's on my final practice tests. Got a 13 in BS on the MCAT.
Well I'm not going to argue with you, but I respectfully disagree ;)

PS - got a 14 on BS and 13 on PS

Well I'm not going to argue with you, but I respectfully disagree ;)

PS - got a 14 on BS and 13 on PS

Probably PS is easier for you to improve but BS was easier for me. Took me about a week to improve my BS by 3-4 points. PS I never really worked on cause it started at 13-14.

[QUOTE="LuluLovesMe, post: 16071276, member: 650916"]Probably PS is easier for you to improve but BS was easier for me. Took me about a week to improve my BS by 3-4 points. PS I never really worked on cause it started at 13-14.[/QUOTE]

I'll settle for this:)

Thanks for your advice!
If you don't mind answering another question, did you see the same amount of Ochem as you did on AAMC practice tests? I've heard the actual MCAT reduced the amount of Ochem to 1 passage or so. Just curious

Thanks for your advice!
If you don't mind answering another question, did you see the same amount of Ochem as you did on AAMC practice tests? I've heard the actual MCAT reduced the amount of Ochem to 1 passage or so. Just curious

I did notice less OChem. But the difference was so subtle that it really shouldn't change your study plans. Focus on the biology. Only learn basic OChem concepts like nucleophiles, electrophiles, aldehyde/ketone behavior, aromatic substitution, periodic trends, lab techniques. I actually memorized 0 specific reactions or mechanisms.

Thank you!
I didn't know that the actual MCAT became more difficult! Would you say the same for PS as well? or is PS section any different from the AAMC practice tests?
I always assumed AAMC practice tests to be the closest representation of the actual test. :S Maybe I should try practice tests from other prep companies. Thank you again for your advice!

I did notice less OChem. But the difference was so subtle that it really shouldn't change your study plans. Focus on the biology. Only learn basic OChem concepts like nucleophiles, electrophiles, aldehyde/ketone behavior, aromatic substitution, periodic trends, lab techniques. I actually memorized 0 specific reactions or mechanisms.