MCAT or GRE??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avandreel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, here is my dilemma. As I posted once previously, I have been struggling between applying to PA school or POD school for a long time. My plan was to take the GRE and that way I could potentially apply to both schools and buy myself a little time to decide which path to take. I plan on applying to school Sept. 2007, so I would take the GRE this coming year. However, I know if I go POD i want to either go to DMU, Scholl or AZPOD, in that order. DO I have a chance of getting into any of these with the GRE? Or do I need to take the MCAT? I need to start prepping for one test or the other relatively soon, so I kinda have to decide. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

avandreel said:
Okay, here is my dilemma. As I posted once previously, I have been struggling between applying to PA school or POD school for a long time. My plan was to take the GRE and that way I could potentially apply to both schools and buy myself a little time to decide which path to take. I plan on applying to school Sept. 2007, so I would take the GRE this coming year. However, I know if I go POD i want to either go to DMU, Scholl or AZPOD, in that order. DO I have a chance of getting into any of these with the GRE? Or do I need to take the MCAT? I need to start prepping for one test or the other relatively soon, so I kinda have to decide. Thanks

the GRE is a cake walk and needs little to no preparation. it is like the SATs with a little hydrocortisone cream (a fake steriod).

to go to any of the schools listed take the MCAT. they may take the GRE for certain circumstances but it really decreases the chances if you have to have them make exceptions for you.

krabmas said:
the GRE is a cake walk and needs little to no preparation. it is like the SATs with a little hydrocortisone cream (a fake steriod).

to go to any of the schools listed take the MCAT. they may take the GRE for certain circumstances but it really decreases the chances if you have to have them make exceptions for you.

The GRE will not get you into DMU and I would be surprised if it would suffice at the other schools you mentioned. Don't let the MCAT intimidate you! It really isn't that bad and simply by taking it you have shown that you are serious about a medical profession and confident in your knowledge. Based on the schools you have chosen to apply to it looks like you have thought about your decision and want the best education you can get. I don't think playing it safe and taking the GRE is representative of a person committed to proving that they are the better applicant. Just an FYI as of January DMU will only accept the MCAT and I expect many of the other top schools who are not already doing so, will follow suit. Good luck whatever you decide. Podiatry is an awesome profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do really well it will get you in but remember the admissions staff is not stupid, they know why you take the GRE. Take the MCAT and you can still get into PA or Pod school

Dr_Feelgood said:
If you do really well it will get you in but remember the admissions staff is not stupid, they know why you take the GRE. Take the MCAT and you can still get into PA or Pod school

Sorry to hijack this thread. I have a good one for you guys. My friend's MCAT scores just expired and can not be used. It is too late to take the August 06 MCAT, but he wants to apply this year. He's thinking of taking the GRE and apply with that. What do you guys think?

badsha said:
Sorry to hijack this thread. I have a good one for you guys. My friend's MCAT scores just expired and can not be used. It is too late to take the August 06 MCAT, but he wants to apply this year. He's thinking of taking the GRE and apply with that. What do you guys think?
When you say "expired," you need to make sure you really mean it. I remember seeing that some podiatric medical schools accept the MCAT for lengths longer that the typical 3 years you find among MD/DO programs. I think one was up to 5 years. Look into it at any rate.

It is my understanding that no one will be admitted into AZPOD anymore without an MCAT score.

That being said, if the former MCAT score is really expired but was fairly good and your friend took the GRE and scored well, he may be able to sell this to some admissions committees easily. It is worth a shot if he cannot take the MCAT this year. He might as well try it if he is really interested in podiatry.

AZPOD Rocks

I would contact the admission's office at any and all schools that you are interested in and get advice straight from the horse's mouth. Just my thought.

Dr_Feelgood said:
I would contact the admission's office at any and all schools that you are interested in and get advice straight from the horse's mouth. Just my thought.

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate it. I went ahead and contacted the schools, just waiting to hear back. I will post the findings.

it is kind of suprise, I contacted Samuel Merritt admission and they said they will no longer accept DAT for 2007. I guess we better off take MCAT and be safe

NJdian said:
it is kind of suprise, I contacted Samuel Merritt admission and they said they will no longer accept DAT for 2007. I guess we better off take MCAT and be safe

yes i was also suprised. They said to me also regarding MCAT.

cool_vkb said:
yes i was also suprised. They said to me also regarding MCAT.

I'm glad to see the schools independently are raising the standards.