MCAT Overall 33 VR 7

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwrig14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been taking full length practice tests regularly as my test date approaches. I've consistently scored 12-13 on the science sections and 9-10 on the VR section. On my last test I scored a 7 on the VR and 13s on each science section. I believe 33 to be a competitive score, but how much of a red flag would a 7-8 on the VR raise?

Members don't see this ad.

If your overall is high enough (33+) an 8 will slide. If it's in the low 30's though you really need to shoot for a 10. Anything below an 8 will get you screened out of a lot of places and is a big red flag unless you get like 36+ or something.

I've been taking full length practice tests regularly as my test date approaches. I've consistently scored 12-13 on the science sections and 9-10 on the VR section. On my last test I scored a 7 on the VR and 13s on each science section. I believe 33 to be a competitive score, but how much of a red flag would a 7-8 on the VR raise?

It's hard to say. If English is your second language then it might be slightly more acceptable. If the rest of your stats/activities are above average you could probably slide by. Look at the 10th percentile VR score for the schools you're looking at on MSAR.

VR. Keeping otherwise qualified people out of medical school since 1992. :D

Members don't see this ad :)